t shirts

Organisational work, teaching, Sunday school syllabus, charitable work, outreach, sharing of resources, artwork, etc.
befriend

t shirts

Postby befriend » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:39 pm

would it be considered proselytizing if I made t shirts with short Buddhist sayings like, do good refrain from evil purify the mind -buddha
take care of mindfulness, and mindfulness will take care of you.

Doshin

Re: t shirts

Postby Doshin » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:49 pm

befriend wrote:would it be considered proselytizing if I made t shirts with short Buddhist sayings like, do good refrain from evil purify the mind -buddha

If you where not in doubt, would you ask ?

If you are in doubt, why are you in doubt ?

_/\_
Knowing about dhamma, does not imply knowing dhamma

Maitri

Postby Maitri » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:02 pm

Doshin wrote:
befriend wrote:would it be considered proselytizing if I made t shirts with short Buddhist sayings like, do good refrain from evil purify the mind -buddha

If you where not in doubt, would you ask ?

If you are in doubt, why are you in doubt ?

Sorry, but I don't find responses like this to be very helpful to the question at hand. I think the OP was looking for dialogue, not pseudo Zen quips.

Concerning the OP:

would it be considered proselytizing if I made t shirts with short Buddhist sayings like, do good refrain from evil purify the mind -buddha

I don't think so. If you design a graphic tee with a quote from the Buddha and there is no comment about what another person should do, then I think it's fine. I've seen shirts with images like, "Know Jesus Know Peace, No Jesus No Peace" and "Where's Darwin Now?" with flames around it; that's a method of proselytizing as they are challenging statements to the viewer. Having a simple quote from the Dhammapada or a Dhamma inspired slogan ("Strive diligently") are pretty innocuous imho. I have a t shirt from India with the Buddha's face and Buddham Saram Gaccahmi on it and people at my yoga studio love it. :smile:

BTW I would be sure to get/check the quote from the source as there are lots of "fake Buddha quotes" running around online.

This shop http://www.redbubble.com/shop/buddhism+t-shirts has some amazing designs and I've bought other tees from them. Good quality items.
"Upon a heap of rubbish in the road-side ditch blooms a lotus, fragrant and pleasing.
Even so, on the rubbish heap of blinded mortals the disciple of the Supremely Enlightened One shines resplendent in wisdom." Dhammapada: Pupphavagga

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/

Anagarika

Postby Anagarika » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:24 pm

Proselytizing is really more making an affirmative effort to convert someone; it's usually thought to be an offensive act. So, making these tee shirts is not proselytizing, unless you were forcibly clothing people in them. :)

What you might get by selling, gifting or wearing such shirts are questions from others, or objections, so be ready to deal with the questions without offending or proselytizing.

befriend

Postby befriend » Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:52 pm

i plan on using the phrase, "fashion your life as a garland of beautiful deeds" should i put Buddha's name underneath it so people no where it came from, or would that be too much in your face religiousness? would it be bad not to say the quote came from the Buddha?
take care of mindfulness, and mindfulness will take care of you.

Pinetree

Postby Pinetree » Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:14 pm

No - if you'll be wearing them yourself

Yes - if your intention is for other people to wear them

:)

Ben
Site Admin

Postby Ben » Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:41 pm

Personally, I wouldn't do it.
By one's actions is one known.
Live a good and Dhammic life and that itself is a beacon to others.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com..

Kim OHara

Postby Kim OHara » Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:16 pm

I wouldn't do it, either - or very rarely - but if I did do it I would want one of the Zen Pencils "Thousands of Candles" shirts. They seem to be off the catalogue now, but the same design is there as a tote bag - http://shopzenpencils.com/collections/totes/products/candles-tote

:coffee:
Kim

Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:56 am

Try something humorous and not too obviously Buddhist like “This Tee Shirt is Empty.”
AIM WebsitePāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:36 am

yes and no. you are essentially being a sandwich board, but you also aren't getting in peoples faces, like door to door or street proselytizers do.
I do not see anything wrong with it.
Lets see the design/s you choose.

Kind Regards
Cittasanto
“Mendicants, these two [types of persons] defame the Tathāgata.
(The mendicants asked) What are the two [types of persons]?
(The Lord Buddha responded) The malicious, or the inwardly angry, and the one with (blind) faith or the one who holds things incorrectly.
Mendicants, these two [types of persons] defame the Tathāgata.”
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.
"Others will misconstrue reality based on personal perspectives, firmly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our personal perspectives, nor firmly holding them, but easily discarded."

The Thinker

Postby The Thinker » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:59 am

Hi Bhikkhu pesala,
Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:Try something humorous and not too obviously Buddhist like “This Tee Shirt is Empty.”

You would have made a great marketing pro!
"Watch your heart, observe. Be the observer, be the knower, not the condition" Ajahn Sumedho volume5 - The Wheel Of Truth

Sea Turtle

Postby Sea Turtle » Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:22 pm

Along the same theme.....

Yesterday while traveling, we saw a car with the following bumper sticker: "Hatred is not stilled by hatred. By non-hatred alone is hatred stilled." --The Buddha

Very unexpected. My response was one of delight and surprise. It uplifted my mind.

That said, I haven't necessarily had the same response when seeing the Buddha's words/image used on T-shirts or as decor. For example, there is a trendy "Asian fusion" restaurant nearby where they'd placed a large and quite beautiful Buddha statue on the ground outside the front entrance. Each time I passed by the place, it would bother me to see the statue just sitting on the sidewalk. Recently, I noticed that they raised it off the ground and placed it on a stand.

:buddha1:

TonyConrad

Postby TonyConrad » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:06 am

I asked a monk at Wat Metta this one time.

I asked what he thought of me doing a rembrandt type painting of the buddha and he said he would never use the buddha or dhamma to make money.

:anjali:
They .. will not listen when discourses that are words of the Tathagata ..are being recited. They will not lend ear, will not set their hearts on knowing them, will not regard these teachings as worth grasping or mastering. But they will listen when discourses that are literary works — the works of poets, elegant in sound, elegant in rhetoric, the work of outsiders, words of disciples — are recited. ..Thus from corrupt Dhamma comes corrupt discipline; from corrupt discipline, corrupt Dhamma.

This, monks, is the fourth future danger .. work to get rid of it.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org

SarathW

Postby SarathW » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:58 am

Go for it. This is just an advertisement.
At least it is a good advertisement considering the fact we are bombarded with so many unhealthy advertisements.
I think you can do the front from the Pali and back from English.

BTW I would be sure to get/check the quote from the source as there are lots of "fake Buddha quotes" running around online.

“Sabba päpassa akaranan,

Kusalassa upasampadä,

Sachitta pariyö dapanan,

Etan Buddhänasäsanan” (Dhammapada verse 183)

https://puredhamma.net/dhammapada/sabba ... -akaranan/
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

pilgrim

Postby pilgrim » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:03 am

Quotes may be OK, but remember wearing a Tshirt with the Buddha on it may get you in trouble in some countries.

Ben
Site Admin

Postby Ben » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:38 am

Nothing beats this *Buddhist* t-shirt, in my humble opinion.
Subtle, understated, classic.

stock-photo-63143307-a-plain-white-tshirt-on-a-grey-background.jpg
stock-photo-63143307-a-plain-white-tshirt-on-a-grey-background.jpg (12.7 KiB) Viewed 146 times
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

Ben
Site Admin

Postby Ben » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:29 am

And there's this one for those of you who can't resist a little attention...

https://www.spreadshirt.com.au/affiliat ... Tab_O_O_LS

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Aloka

Postby Aloka » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:38 am

Ben wrote:Nothing beats this *Buddhist* t-shirt, in my humble opinion.

Lol, definately my favourite!

Its also worth checking through the "Fake Buddha Quotes" website:

http://fakebuddhaquotes.com/

Ben
Site Admin

Postby Ben » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:52 am

Aloka wrote:
Ben wrote:Nothing beats this *Buddhist* t-shirt, in my humble opinion.

Lol, definately my favourite!

Its also worth checking through the "Fake Buddha Quotes" website:

http://fakebuddhaquotes.com/

THanks Aloka
My facebook timeline is getting spammed by *I love Buddhism* which appears to be an aggressive t-shirt business that is cobbling together fake Buddha quotes with generic Buddha images. I'm having a bit of fun writing comments and encouraging people to give dana instead.

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

samseva

Postby samseva » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:29 pm

In this situation, I think it is a good idea to ask why you would either want to decorate yourself with a Buddha image or why you need to proclaim to others that you are a Buddhist via a t-shirt.
http://www.pathtodiscipline.com/

Latest articles/entries:
NEW 4 Kinds of Motivation: Positive and Negative
The Positive Outcomes of Not Drinking [Video]

Note to self: "The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." (Henry David Thoreau)
Am I headed this way?

Return to “Dhammaduta (Dhamma propagation)”