Scholars Who Are Practicing Buddhists

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Mkoll

Scholars Who Are Practicing Buddhists

Post by Mkoll »

Dear friends,

Scholarly writings on Buddhism are eminently useful because of the included references, the clarity with which scholars write, and most especially the (as disinterested as possible) scholarly perspective itself. This goes doubly for scholars who are also practicing Buddhists. If anyone knows of any other people, alive or passed away, who fall under this particular category (and have published something) and who I have not included on the limited list below, please provide their names.

Also, since this is a Theravada forum, we're looking for people writing about Theravada Buddhism and the Pali Canon rather than Mahayana, Vajrayana, or secular Buddhism.

Thank you.

~~~

Bhikkhu Analayo
Balangoda Ananda Maitreya Thero
Bhikkhu Bodhi
Professor Rupert Gethin
Bhante Henepola Gunaratana
Venerable Mahasi Sayadaw
Katukurunde Nanananda Thera
Prayudh Payutto (Phra Bhramagunabhorn)
Ajahn Sujato
Thanissaro Bhikkhu
Maurice Walshe

~~~

EDIT, 6/19/14:
Updated again and added links where possible. Also, I've added that I'm looking for people related to Theravada. Thanks for the contributions.
Last edited by Mkoll on Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Unrul3r

Re: Scholars Who Are Practicing Buddhists

Post by Unrul3r »

Bhikkhu Sujato has some, of what could be considered as, scholarly books. He could fit the description I think.

P. A. Payutto, could also fit.

These could fit what you describe, assuming that the criterion for such people is meditating & publishing works with references to other scholars or source texts.

:sage:
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I thought that most of usl are practicing Buddhist in different level and different degree.
:sage:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
bodom

Post by bodom »

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

Peter Harvey
Robert Thurman
Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

I and many others would surely consider Mahasi Sayadaw to be a scholar, also Ven. Nanananda perhaps?
:candle: :buddha1: :candle:
Aki

Post by Aki »

Mkoll wrote:Dear friends,

Scholarly writings on Buddhism are eminently useful because of the included references, the clarity with which scholars write, and most especially the (as disinterested as possible) scholarly perspective itself. This goes doubly for scholars who are also practicing Buddhists. If anyone knows of any other people, alive or passed away, who fall under this particular category (and have published something) and who I have not included on the limited list below, please provide their names.

Thank you.
Ven. Balangoda Ananda Maitreya (23 August 1896 – 18 July 1998)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balangoda_ ... reya_Thero
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... i/bam.html
I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand. If you're a troll :rolleye:, find someone else please :guns:, I'm an IBM (Innocent Buddhist Monk) for 40+ years.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Mkoll wrote:Dear friends,

Thank you.

Prayudh Payutto (Phra Bhramagunabhorn)
Bhikkhu Sujato
Bhante Henepola Gunaratana
Bhikkhu Bodhi
Bhikkhu Analayo
Professor Rupert Gethin

EDIT:
I've updated the list; thank you all for your contributions and for any more forthcoming!
Ven Nanananda.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

A scholar and a gentleman. Maurice Walshe
http://www.dhammawiki.com/index.php?tit ... ell_Walshe
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Mr Man wrote:A scholar and a gentleman. Maurice Walshe
http://www.dhammawiki.com/index.php?tit ... ell_Walshe
A delightful man of great kindness and good humor.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Ven. Thanissaro.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
TheNoBSBuddhist

Post by TheNoBSBuddhist »

:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

I suspect Gombrich is a closet Buddhist, despite his over-vehement insistence that he is not (owing to the rebirth issue).
Kamran

Post by Kamran »

Trever Ling's "The Buddha: The Social-Revolutionary Potential of Buddhism" is a great book. Makes you feel like you are walking with the Buddha, Ashoka, etc as well as provide social/historical perspecive.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HK6J50S?btkr=1
Kusala

Post by Kusala »

Thomas William Rhys Davids - the founder of Pali Text Society. Even though he passed away long ago, his contribution to Theravada Buddhism is a pivotal moment in the history of Buddhism...

"One of the first scholars to begin the work of translating the Pali Literature into English, was the son of a well-known clergyman. His object in undertaking the work was to prove the superiority of Christianity over Buddhism. He failed in this task but he achieved a greater victory than he expected. He became a Buddhist. We must never forget the happy chance which prompted him to undertake this work and thereby make the precious Dhamma available to thousands in the West. The name of this great scholar was Dr. Rhys Davids."
- Ven. A. Mahinda, "Blue Print of Happiness"

"He, the Blessed One, is indeed the Noble Lord, the Perfectly Enlightened One;
He is impeccable in conduct and understanding, the Serene One, the Knower of the Worlds;
He trains perfectly those who wish to be trained; he is Teacher of gods and men; he is Awake and Holy. "

--------------------------------------------
"The Dhamma is well-expounded by the Blessed One,
Apparent here and now, timeless, encouraging investigation,
Leading to liberation, to be experienced individually by the wise. "