sutta reference

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

sutta reference

Postby bazzaman » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:39 am

Last edited by bazzaman on Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
bazzaman

Re: sutta reference

Postby retrofuturist » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:45 am

Greetings Bazzaman,

A2I is one of the sites referenced on the Theravada Search Engine I've been maintaining...

Google Saffron
http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=00545 ... cbjbznmwso

You can use this to search A2I (and other Theravada sites) using standard Google search notation.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby Ben » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:45 am

Hi Bazzaman

Can you please elaborate on the context of where you encountered/heard/read the simile and what was the simile refering to.

I have heard my teacher use the simile in relation to the strength of sankharas created through volitional action though I don't think he referred to the simile as coming from the Buddha (which would indicate a sutta reference).
Kind regards

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global Relief

Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby Macavity » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:42 am

The similes were taught in the Lekha Sutta (AN. i. 283-4) and the Abhidhamma's Puggalapaññatti.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an03/an03.130.than.html
Macavity

Postby bazzaman » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:48 am

Hi Ben, I heard this in Burma... so it could well have been from the commentaries. But I vaguely remember having subsequently come across it in the Sutta Pitaka. Could easily be mistaken though.
I think it refers to the strength and duration of underlying tendencies; the lightest likened to writing on water. Then (I think) writing on sand, followed by etching in tree bark, and finally carved in stone.
The memory of this simile came up in a sitting this morning. A pattern of constriction in the chest becoming painfully clear. A pattern which seems like it has been there forever. And, after almost three decades of "huffing and puffing" it seems like at least the etched in wood kind. Maybe the psychic equivalent of bonsai... or foot-binding. Not the kind of thing that a little crystal-waving can clear up. But then again, maybe I'm exaggerating the whole thing.
Dukkha patipada dandabhinna... meh?
So I thought it might be good to look up the teaching, to see what else might be included. Even rocks occasionally get annihilated by thunderbolts, no?

retrofuturist.. thanks for the link... I'll check it out.
bazzaman

Postby bazzaman » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:53 am

Thank you, Macavity.
bazzaman

Return to General Theravāda discussion