sutta reference

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
bazzaman

sutta reference

Post by bazzaman »

Last edited by bazzaman on Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Atāṇo loko anabhissaro...

Yena yena hi maññanti tato taṃ hoti aññathā,
retrofuturist

Re: sutta reference

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Bazzaman,

A2I is one of the sites referenced on the Theravada Search Engine I've been maintaining...

Google Saffron
http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=00545 ... cbjbznmwso" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can use this to search A2I (and other Theravada sites) using standard Google search notation.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Bazzaman

Can you please elaborate on the context of where you encountered/heard/read the simile and what was the simile refering to.

I have heard my teacher use the simile in relation to the strength of sankharas created through volitional action though I don't think he referred to the simile as coming from the Buddha (which would indicate a sutta reference).
Kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Macavity

Post by Macavity »

The similes were taught in the Lekha Sutta (AN. i. 283-4) and the Abhidhamma's Puggalapaññatti.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html
bazzaman

Post by bazzaman »

Hi Ben, I heard this in Burma... so it could well have been from the commentaries. But I vaguely remember having subsequently come across it in the Sutta Pitaka. Could easily be mistaken though.
I think it refers to the strength and duration of underlying tendencies; the lightest likened to writing on water. Then (I think) writing on sand, followed by etching in tree bark, and finally carved in stone.
The memory of this simile came up in a sitting this morning. A pattern of constriction in the chest becoming painfully clear. A pattern which seems like it has been there forever. And, after almost three decades of "huffing and puffing" it seems like at least the etched in wood kind. Maybe the psychic equivalent of bonsai... or foot-binding. Not the kind of thing that a little crystal-waving can clear up. But then again, maybe I'm exaggerating the whole thing.
Dukkha patipada dandabhinna... meh?
So I thought it might be good to look up the teaching, to see what else might be included. Even rocks occasionally get annihilated by thunderbolts, no?

retrofuturist.. thanks for the link... I'll check it out.

bazzaman

Post by bazzaman »

Thank you, Macavity.