Learning the Vinaya

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.

Learning the Vinaya

Postby oceanbox » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:26 pm

Hello,

I noticed many people on the forum are quite knowledgeable in regards to the Vinaya and the different levels of offenses. I wondered if there are any useful online training guides or books which help study the material, or whether anyone has any good suggestions for studying it. I have Thannisaro Bhikkus books but I am unsure if this is something I just read whole

Thank you

:anjali:
oceanbox

Re: Learning the Vinaya

Postby mikenz66 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:22 pm

Hi Oceanbox,

I think that most of the answers you see here can be found in these on-line resources:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/vin/index.html

:anjali:
Mike
mikenz66

Postby James the Giant » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:48 am

oceanbox wrote:I have Thannisaro Bhikkus books but I am unsure if this is something I just read whole
I'm studying these two books at the moment, (Buddhist Monastic Code 1 and 2) and I'm finding them fascinating and enjoyable.
I say just go for the whole thing and read the big books.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
James the Giant

Postby daverupa » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:32 pm

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.
- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
daverupa

Return to Ordination and Monastic Life