Should Buddhists be Tolerant of Other Religions?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Dan74

Re: Should Buddhists be Tolerant of Other Religions?

Post by Dan74 »

One obvious point that may be worth making is that while there may well be reasons for saying that Buddhism is the "best", most "evolved", most
"truthful" religion, there is very little reason to say the same about Buddhists.

So like Christopher, I can say that I too have met many inspirational people who wouldn't know Dharma from a sitcom character. Much in life can be a great practice and a source of inspiration. But depending on our personalities we may confine ourselves to a specific practice and deepen it, or spread ourself over a vast expanse and sincerely appreciate the diversity of beliefs and life in general. The Buddha taught many practices, many medicines for many ills. There is no "one size fits all" and perhaps we can show some respect for each others paths. This tends to inspire us to pursue these paths with renewed vigour, deepening our practice, instead of wasting energy in defending views.

Like chicka-Dee I feel it is a pissing context, this dynamics years after year. At the very least it has borne precious little fruit, since it just keeps repeating itself. So perhaps it is time to try a different approach.

:heart:

_/|\_
_/|\_
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Dan74 wrote:. There is no "one size fits all" and perhaps we can show some respect for each others paths.
No one here has advocated "one size fits all" - far from it. And no one here has advocated disrespect for other paths, though I think a very reasonable argument can be made that it-is-all-one can be very disrespectful. I do not think that disrespect has been intentional. No one here is denying that kindness in our relationships is far more important than expecting other to adhere to a particular doctrine. HOWEVER, there is nothing wrong within a particular context of looking at religion in general and expressions of various religion in particular with a critical eye, and no one is forcing that upon anyone else. If that is not your cup of chai, do not consume it, but why complain about those who do?
Like chicka-Dee I feel it is a pissing context
A bit insulting. I do not think it was either the case for Christopher or me. Sometimes there is failure to communicate, and it is not always obvious why, but to accuse participants of an ego driven "pissing contest" adds no understanding whatsoever.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Dan,
Dan74 wrote:There is no "one size fits all" and perhaps we can show some respect for each others paths.
But that's exactly what I've been trying to say. I can not claim to know whether path(s) taught by the Buddha is the "best" or even one of the "correct" paths. I respect different paths.

MN 95:Canki Sutta http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"If a person has conviction, his statement, 'This is my conviction,' safeguards the truth. But he doesn't yet come to the definite conclusion that 'Only this is true; anything else is worthless.' To this extent, Bharadvaja, there is the safeguarding of the truth. To this extent one safeguards the truth. I describe this as the safeguarding of the truth. But it is not yet an awakening to the truth.
There is no disrespect in pointing out the differences between the Buddha's Dhamma and other paths. On the contrary, in my opinion, insisting that all paths are identical shows a lack of respect for the differences and the depth of the various paths.

Metta
Mike
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

At this point, I think we need to step back from this thread a bit. The other mods and admins can review this to see if should be reopened. For myself, whatever discomfort or pain caused, my apologies.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723