What Buddha Ate

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.

What Buddha Ate

Postby mahat » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:59 pm

His diet and the Sangha's diet was pretty delicious and healthy! He ate tons of whole grains like barley and wild rice, fruits and salads and milk and honey…
Following this I have now also changed my diet and added more whole grains, I eat only once before noon as well.

http://dhammawiki.com/index.php?title=Diet_of_Buddha

Yet in spite of the one reference to meat, there are numerous other places where it mentions what the Buddha ate and they are vegetarian:

Thick milk-rice porridge and fresh ghee (Udana 4.3)
Wild rice (Majjhima Nikaya I. 78)
Rice with grains (M. 247), (Majjhima Nikaya 36.33)
Barley meal honey balls (Vinaya I. 4)
Choice rice with curry (Majjhima Nikaya II. 7)
Rose apple, mango, myrobalan fruits (Vin. I. 30)
Steamed barley and rice (Vinaya, Suttavibhanga 1)
Lettuce and fruit salad (Vinaya, Suttavibhanga 33.1)
Vegetables and rice (Vinaya, Cullavagga VI 4.1)
Milk (Vinaya, Mahavagga VI 34.20)
Conjey (watery rice porridge) and honey lumps (Vinaya, VI 24.3-7)
Vegetables and bread (Vinaya, VI 36.7)

In the Khuddaka Nikaya, Vimanavatthu, there are stories of meritorious deeds done by lay people who then ascended to a deva (heavenly) realm. Many of the meritorious deeds were giving alms food to the Buddha or one of his monks. Here we find several examples of only vegetarian food either given to the Buddha or one of his chief monk disciples, Moggallana or Sariputta:
Ghee, honey, sugar, rice, milk (Vim. 1.5)
Molasses (Vim. 4.2) and (Vim. 6.4) and (Vim 6.5)
Rice-crust (Vim. 2.10)
Cake (Vim. 3.1)
Sugar-cane (Vim. 3.2) and (Petav. 4.5)
Rice-crust, soups and curries (Vim. 2.3)
Mangoes (Vim. 6.3) and (Vim. 6.5) and (Vim. 4.8)
Rice custard / pudding (Vim. 6.7)
Rice gruel (Vim. 4.4) and (Vim 4.5) and (Petav. 3.5)
Rice, cane-juice, sugar cane (Vim. 5.12)
Rice gruel and mangoes (Petav. 4.12)
Beans, grains (Vim. 7.6)
mahat

Re: What Buddha Ate

Postby Mkoll » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:17 am

Here's what I wrote in another thread:
Here's some food for thought in regards to your food example.

For meat-eating to exist, there must be humans who deliberately kill the animal that provides the meat, creating great fear and terror in the living being they are killing and performing wrong action for themselves.

Cultivating vegetarian food will kill beings from the plowing of the fields, application of pesticides, etc. But the purpose here is not to kill the sentient beings; they are being killed indirectly for the cultivation of vegetable sustenance.

Both kill. Living means killing.

Personally, I buy vegetarian food for myself because I think it causes less harm and suffering overall. Not to mention the health benefits of eating a vegetarian diet vs a meat-eating one are pretty well-established. Living longer means practicing the Dhamma longer. Who knows where the next birth will be and if the Dhamma will be available to practice?

I'll add that monks don't have a choice about what they eat; their bodies subsist purely on the generosity of others. That's why they're allowed to eat meat because if that's what is offered, that's what they eat. We laypeople do have a choice about what we eat. And there is not just the kammic aspect of meateating, but the very real environmental and ethical one as well. Later generations are going to have to face the mess that we are creating. Here are some quick facts from this article I just found. It makes me feel somewhat nauseous just thinking about it.

***Raising animals for food uses thirty percent of the Earth's landmass.

***70 percent of the grain and cereals that we grow in this country are fed to farmed animals.

***It takes up to 13 pounds of grain to produce just 1 pound of meat, and even fish on fish farms must be fed up to 5 pounds of wild-caught fish to produce 1 pound of farmed fish flesh.

***It takes more than 11 times as much fossil fuel to make one calorie from animal protein as it does to make one calorie from plant protein.

***Nearly half of all the water used in the United States goes to raising animals for food. It takes more than 2,400 gallons of water to produce 1 pound of meat, while growing 1 pound of wheat only requires 25 gallons.

***According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the runoff from factory farms pollutes our waterways more than all other industrial sources combined.

***Animals raised for food in the U.S. produce far more excrement than the entire U.S. human population, roughly 89,000 pounds per second, all without the benefit of waste-treatment systems.

***The EPA reports that chicken, hog, and cattle excrement has polluted 35,000 miles of rivers in 22 states and contaminated groundwater in 17 states.

:jedi:
Peace,
James
Mkoll

Postby Digity » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:59 am

In other words, we've f**king up the planet. What else is new...

None of this is going to stop until the planet starts getting so out of balance that our lives get severely disrupted. At that point the joy ride will be over and we'll either sink or swim.
Samsara sucks. #samvega
Digity

Postby SarathW » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:22 am

:goodpost:
SarathW

Postby Mkoll » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:22 pm

Digity wrote:In other words, we've f**king up the planet. What else is new...

None of this is going to stop until the planet starts getting so out of balance that our lives get severely disrupted. At that point the joy ride will be over and we'll either sink or swim.

The cynical part of me says you're probably right. The saddest part is it probably won't be us who reallyexperience the **** hitting the fan but rather later generations. What an inheritance...

:toilet:

However the hopeful part of me says that we can still make choices on a personal level that will slow it down, exercise our right to vote, etc. And if enough people get on the same wavelength...who knows, maybe things can dramatically change...

:alien:
Peace,
James
Mkoll

Postby mahat » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:27 pm

Of course and it doesn't seem to be coming to an end…human populations are increasing…which means more forests destroyed for farmland and more farm animals…more torture, more abuse, more pollution…and so on and so forth -- continuing the nasty cycle. :anjali:
mahat

Return to Wellness, Diet & Fitness