Did Buddha ask ask to worship him?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.
samtheman
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001

Did Buddha ask ask to worship him?

Postby samtheman » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:12 pm

Hello everyone,

Here are some questions I have about how people have reacted after Buddha's death

1. Did Buddha want us to make statues about him and worship him? I don't understand the point of doing this. I mean Buddha was indeed an admirable man, but I'm sure he wants us to help someone in need rather than worshipping his statues.

2. Is worshiping with flowers etc nessecary? Isn't it better helping someone else or doing some other good karma that actually has an effect on someone during this time.

3. Why do in some places small children are taken as monks. I mean you have to look no further than Buddha's life. He experienced all the pleasures in life and then understood it was meaningless and reached enlightenment. These small monks have not experienced these pleasures so how can they understand they are meaningless.

Having said all that. I understand that temples are necessary. It is a place for monks to recruit and find shelter and to continue on their efforts to find peace. Also for the longevity and spread of Buddhism temples are a good thing. Not saying they are entirely bad, but I like the answers for above questions. Thanks :smile:

Mkoll
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1006

Re: Did Buddha ask ask to worship him?

Postby Mkoll » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:55 pm

I don't remember the sutta but the Buddha said the best way to worship him was to practice the Dhamma. You practice the Dhamma to see the Dhamma and thus see the Buddha. In another sutta, the Buddha says (paraphrasing): whosoever sees the Dhamma sees me and whosoever sees me sees the Dhamma.

:candle:
Peace,
James

mikenz66
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1

Postby mikenz66 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:08 pm

Hi samtheman,

Regarding question 1, here is a statement about remembrance:
26. "The body of a universal monarch, Ananda, is first wrapped round with new linen, and then with teased cotton wool, and so it is done up to five hundred layers of linen and five hundred of cotton wool. When that is done, the body of the universal monarch is placed in an iron[48] oil vessel, which is enclosed in another iron vessel, a funeral pyre is built of all kinds of perfumed woods, and so the body of the universal monarch is burned; and at a crossroads a stupa is raised for the universal monarch. So it is done, Ananda, with the body of a universal monarch. And even, Ananda, as with the body of a universal monarch, so should it be done with the body of the Tathagata; and at a crossroads also a stupa should be raised for the Tathagata. And whosoever shall bring to that place garlands or incense or sandalpaste, or pay reverence, and whose mind becomes calm there — it will be to his well being and happiness for a long time.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .vaji.html

Here is one of many suttas about recollecting the Buddha, the Dhamma, and the Sangha:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... all-Buddha

:anjali:
Mike

Kamran

Postby Kamran » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:34 am

When the Buddha was close to death he said that he should not be worshiped, which is an indication that even during his lifetime people were starting to worship him. As with most ideologies, though, he was worshiped anyway...human habits are hard to break.

According to the below sutta, only yourself and the dhamma should be your refuge, not the Buddha.

"Monks, live with yourself as your island, yourself as your refuge, with nothing else as your refuge. Live with the Dhamma as your island, the Dhamma as your refuge, with nothing else as your refuge."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html
When this concentration is thus developed, thus well developed by you, then wherever you go, you will go in comfort. Wherever you stand, you will stand in comfort. Wherever you sit, you will sit in comfort. Wherever you lie down, you will lie down in comfort.

mahat
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001

Postby mahat » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:08 pm

samtheman wrote:Hello everyone,

Here are some questions I have about how people have reacted after Buddha's death

1. Did Buddha want us to make statues about him and worship him? I don't understand the point of doing this. I mean Buddha was indeed an admirable man, but I'm sure he wants us to help someone in need rather than worshipping his statues.

2. Is worshiping with flowers etc nessecary? Isn't it better helping someone else or doing some other good karma that actually has an effect on someone during this time.

3. Why do in some places small children are taken as monks. I mean you have to look no further than Buddha's life. He experienced all the pleasures in life and then understood it was meaningless and reached enlightenment. These small monks have not experienced these pleasures so how can they understand they are meaningless.

Having said all that. I understand that temples are necessary. It is a place for monks to recruit and find shelter and to continue on their efforts to find peace. Also for the longevity and spread of Buddhism temples are a good thing. Not saying they are entirely bad, but I like the answers for above questions. Thanks :smile:

1) From Itivutaka 91:

Even if one should seize the hem of my robe and walk step by step behind me, if he is covetous in his desires, fierce in his longings, malevolent of heart, with corrupt mind, careless and unrestrained, noisy and distracted and with senses uncontrolled, he is far from me. And why? He does not see the Dhamma, and not seeing the Dhamma, he does not see me. Even if one lives a hundred miles away, if he is not covetous in his desires, not fierce in his longings, with a kind heart and pure mind, mindful, composed, calmed, one-pointed and with senses restrained, then indeed, he is near to me and I am near to him. And why? He sees the Dhamma, and seeing the Dhamma, sees me.

Though physically close behind, If one is acquisitive and restless, How far is that turbulent one from one at peace, That burning one from one cooled,

That hankering one from one content! But thoroughly understanding Dhamma, And freed from longing through insight, The wise one, rid of all desire, Is calm as a pool unstirred by the wind. How close is that peaceful one to one at peace, That cool one to one cooled, That content one to one content!

However, those statues are there for people who are "still far from the Dhamma". It might bring them some comfort and a little bit of merit.

2) Worship with flowers has some merit, but Buddha said worshipping with virtue is even better:

Dhammapada Verse 54: The scent of flowers cannot go against the wind; nor the scent of sandalwood, nor of rhododendron (tagara), nor of jasmin (mallika)2; only the reputation of good people can go against the wind. The reputation of the virtuous ones (sappurisa) is wafted abroad in all directions.

Verse 55: There are the scents of sandalwood, rhododendron, lotus and jasmin (vassika)3; but the scent of virtue surpasses all scents.

3) Age does not determine wisdom: Dhammapada chap. 11:

Just as the ox grows old
so this man of little learning:
his fleshiness increases,
his wisdom doesn’t grow.

Generally monasteries have served as educational institutions in many countries, which is why you see many children ordain -- however, monks and nuns must prove they are trustworthy and are trained. Many children than disrobe if they don't think it's for them when they grow older, however, the discipline they keep forever.

Children who were wise beyond their age and could see the dangers of sense desires and they themselves seeing the dangers of sense desires were allowed to ordain -- with the approval of their parents.

pulga

Postby pulga » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:06 pm

mahat wrote:Children who were wise beyond their age and could see the dangers of sense desires and they themselves seeing the dangers of sense desires were allowed to ordain -- with the approval of their parents.

I thought it had more to do with their having a bad horoscope.

Return to “Discovering Theravāda”