The Holy Life

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
pererin

The Holy Life

Post by pererin »

A beginner's question. I am coming across the phrase "the holy life" frequently. What is the Pali for this, and what is its etymology? What do the suttas mean by "holiness"?

With thanks,

Pererin
Element

Re: The Holy Life

Post by Element »

pererin wrote:I am coming across the phrase "the holy life" frequently. What is the Pali for this, and what is its etymology?
The Pali word is brahmacariyam. I have heard the etymology of 'brahmin' is 'those who turn away (from evil)'. However, I may stand corrected.
Brahmacariyañca vo, bhikkhave, desessāmi, brahmacariyatthañca.

Bhikkhus, I will teach you the holy life and the fruits of the holy life. Listen to that...

And what bhikkhus is the holy life? It is this Noble Eightfold Path. This is called the holy life.

And what are the fruits of the holy life? The fruit of stream entry, the fruit of once-returning, the fruit of non-returning, the fruit of arahantship. These are called the fruits of the holy life.

SN 45.39
Bhikkhus, I will teach you the holy life and the goal of the holy life. Listen to that...

And what bhikkhus is the holy life? It is this Noble Eightfold Path. This is called the holy life.

And what is the goal of the holy life? The destruction of lust, the destruction of hatred, the destruction of delusion. This is called the goal of the holy life.

SN 45.40
pererin

Post by pererin »

Thank you, Element. Do you know about the other part of the word (-cariyam)? What does a lexical analysis of brahmacariyam tells us about the concept of 'holiness' as evinced by these texts?
Element

Post by Element »

pererin wrote:Thank you, Element. Do you know about the other part of the word (-cariyam)? What does a lexical analysis of brahmacariyam tells us about the concept of 'holiness' as evinced by these texts?
Thank you Pererin, however I do not.

I hope Ajahn Dhammanando can join us and clarify these matters.

With metta,

Element
piotr

Post by piotr »

Hi,

cariyā means conduct or behaviour. So literaly brahmacariyā means 'divine concduct', or something like that. In Buddhist context it may identyfied with chaste life, or living in accordance with the Noble Eightfold Path.
Bhagavaṃmūlakā no, bhante, dhammā...
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

piotr wrote:In Buddhist context it may be identified with chaste life, or living in accordance with the Noble Eightfold Path.
Thus, when one takes 8 (or more) precepts the third precept becomes:
Abrahma-cariyā veramaṇī sikkhā-padaṃ samādiyāmi.
I undertake the training rule to refrain from sexual intercourse.

It's a double negative, refraining from Abrahma-cariyā (not divine conduct).

Mike
pererin

Post by pererin »

Thank you, all: I am most grateful.

If brahma is 'divine', in what sense is that to be understood?

Regards
piotr

Post by piotr »

Hi,

I take meaning of 'divine' as quotes provided by Element put it, i.e. in accordance with the Dhamma.
Bhagavaṃmūlakā no, bhante, dhammā...
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello all,

The Brahmacariya Life & Emotional Intimacy

Brahmacariya is often simply translated as “celibate life.” But brahmacariya is much more than simply abstaining from sexual contact. In Buddhist thought, brahmacariya has always signified the renunciation of certain kinds of relationships for the purpose of pursuing other kinds of relationships, specifically those of religious community life, the relationship with our teacher and fellow monastics. Dhamma and Vinaya guide us in how to develop these relationships to their fullest potential. To make certain that we not underestimate the importance of this issue, Buddha emphasized to Ananda that spiritual friendships are not just ‘half’ of the holy life; they are the ‘whole’ of it. ......
http://www.glbvihara.org/teaching4.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
pererin

Post by pererin »

I am grateful to you all for your time and wisdom.

Metta,

Mark