Hello from México

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.

Hello from México

Postby SamuelMaclay » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:44 pm

Hi,

My name is Samuel and I'm from México City. I'm fairly new to Buddhism, but I'm interested in learning about the different sects within it and their differences so I can find the one that suits me (or not). I've been reading mainly about Theravada, but I guess that's because I don't know much about the others.

I've also started to practice anapanasati meditation but there's not a lot of Buddhist centers or temples in México (mainly a catholic country), so I don't even know if I'm doing it right.

I guess what I'm saying is, I'm here to learn and I'll appreciate any help anyone can provide.

Thank you.
SamuelMaclay

Re: Hello from México

Postby Khalil Bodhi » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:47 pm

Welcome Samuel! Please feel free to ask any questions that occur to you and let me know if I can help in any way.
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

Uposatha Observance Club:http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=148031379279&v=info
Kiva-Theravada Buddhists:http://www.kiva.org/team/theravada_buddhists
Dana on the Interwebs:
http://greatergood.com
http://freerice.com
Khalil Bodhi

Postby cooran » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:50 pm

Welcome to DhammaWheel, Samuel!! :group:

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Postby SarathW » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:51 pm

:hello:
Welcome!
SarathW

Postby SamuelMaclay » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:54 pm

Khalil Bodhi wrote:Welcome Samuel! Please feel free to ask any questions that occur to you and let me know if I can help in any way.

Thank you very much!

Could you recommend some readings? Like I said, I would like to know the main(?) differences between Buddhist sects, or maybe just a place to start?

Thanks again.
SamuelMaclay

Postby SamuelMaclay » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:56 pm

cooran wrote:Welcome to DhammaWheel, Samuel!! :group:

With metta,
Chris

Thanks for the welcome, Chris.
SamuelMaclay

Postby SamuelMaclay » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:57 pm

SarathW wrote::hello:
Welcome!

Thank you, Sarah. :thanks:
SamuelMaclay

Postby cooran » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:07 am

Hello Samuel,

This might be a good starting point:

http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/history/schools.htm

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Postby Mkoll » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:59 am

SamuelMaclay wrote:Hi,

My name is Samuel and I'm from México City. I'm fairly new to Buddhism, but I'm interested in learning about the different sects within it and their differences so I can find the one that suits me (or not). I've been reading mainly about Theravada, but I guess that's because I don't know much about the others.

I've also started to practice anapanasati meditation but there's not a lot of Buddhist centers or temples in México (mainly a catholic country), so I don't even know if I'm doing it right.

I guess what I'm saying is, I'm here to learn and I'll appreciate any help anyone can provide.

Thank you.

Greetings and welcome.

A good introduction to Buddhism in general is written by scholar Rupert Gethin called The Foundations of Buddhism.

In regards to anapanasati, different teachers have different ways of teaching it. So if you don't have direct access to a teacher, I'd recommend reading the Anapanasati Sutta and figuring out what works for you through practice. The "right" way of doing it is something you'll figure out for yourself, whether you have the personal guidance of a teacher or not.

Good luck.

:anjali:
Peace,
James
Mkoll

Postby bodom » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:44 am

Welcome Samuel!

The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby David N. Snyder » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:57 am

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!

:toast:
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby SamuelMaclay » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:48 am

Mkoll wrote:
Greetings and welcome.

A good introduction to Buddhism in general is written by scholar Rupert Gethin called The Foundations of Buddhism.

In regards to anapanasati, different teachers have different ways of teaching it. So if you don't have direct access to a teacher, I'd recommend reading the Anapanasati Sutta and figuring out what works for you through practice. The "right" way of doing it is something you'll figure out for yourself, whether you have the personal guidance of a teacher or not.

Good luck.

Thank you so much for your recommendations, it is what I was looking for.
SamuelMaclay

Postby SamuelMaclay » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:49 am

cooran wrote:Hello Samuel,

This might be a good starting point:

http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/history/schools.htm

With metta,
Chris

Thank you, it cleared out a few questions.
SamuelMaclay

Postby Aloka » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:47 am

Welcome Samuel,

"The Foundations of Buddhism" by Rupert Gethin which was recommended to you, is available in PDF

http://www.watflorida.org/documents/The%20Foundations%20of%20Buddhism_Gethin_1998.pdf

Kind regards,

Aloka

Aloka

Return to Introductions