New South Wales

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
retrofuturist

New South Wales

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

In late July / early August I'm going with my wife and 5 year old son on a 14-day road-trip up north into New South Wales. Whilst there, we'll be staying at Wollongong, Sydney, Blue Mountains and Canberra.

I was just wondering if, for anyone who has either lived in or visited NSW before, what places or things to do would be worth adding to the itinerary, which are within the vicinity of any of the above places?

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Ben

Re: New South Wales

Post by Ben »

Hi Retro

The Blue Mountains are one of my most favourite places in the world. I grew up in the town (suburb) at the base of the mountains and I lived on the Nepean River in Penrith. I recommend that you go to Katoomba and check out the three sisters. Also at the main strip of Katoomba should be the Paragon Cafe which is worth a visit for their home-made chocolates.

There are a number short easy bushwalks you could do around Katoomba and Wentworth Falls. The Hydro Majestic Hotel (at Leura) was the base of the American Forces during WW2 and is a beautiful old art-deco building and has stellar views out across the Jamieson Valley. Of course, Vipassana Meditation Centre Blackheath (Dhammabhumi) is located on Station Road, Blackheath and is worth a visit if they are not holding a course. Also at Blackheath and across the rail-line and a couple of km to the north is the famous Govett's Leap. Keep in mind that if you are going to the top of the Blue Mountains this time of year it can get very cold and snows there sometimes during winter.

I'll get back to with some other suggestions of places to visit on the way up to, and around Sydney, later today - as my break's about to end.
Kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Ben and Pilgrim,

Thanks for the tips... I've given Mrs. Retro a link to this topic so she can have a look at the responses and see what we can manage to do in the time available, keeping in mind our different accommodation bases at various points throughout the trip.

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Just a quick note to let everyone know I'm heading off this road trip early tomorrow morning, so my participation here will be down a bit... though my wife will probably take the laptop and modem, so I'll be sure to drop in every now and then, maybe with some updates.

Metta,
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Blue mountains and obviously the caves are great try the water!
I was only in the area for a couple of days but sydney docks have a lovely japaneese style garden which I wish I had the time to look around I was mainly up the gold coast side of NSW in 94 so hope all goes well on your trip.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello Retro,

Have a safe and relaxing trip, and try to keep in touch - take photos for us.

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Ben

Post by Ben »

Have a great trip!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Pictures and stories of our Road Trip adventures are on my son's blog...

http://bennettcarterdavy.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metta,
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

Well done Paul... :smile:
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Well organized! Who needs scrap books anymore? That is a great way to preserve the memories. Virtually no chance of being 'lost in the fire' too.
Ben

Post by Ben »

THanks Paul
I;m glad that you and your family had a wonderful holiday together.
Metta

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

christopher:::

Post by christopher::: »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

Pictures and stories of our Road Trip adventures are on my son's blog...

http://bennettcarterdavy.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metta,
Wonderful, Paul~~

:clap:
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009