Access to Insight Bulk Download

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: Access to Insight Bulk Download

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Updated with the latest version released on 12th March 2013.

The link in the first post now goes to the relevant page on my web site. Please download it from there. I disabled hot-linking to files on my server.

The original ZIP archive is now 22.2 Mbytes, and my 7-Zip archive is now 10.1 Mbytes.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Updated with the latest version released on 2nd December 2013

The Access to Insight offline version has got a lot bigger as it includes some PDF files. You can download the entire web site from the ATI web site as a Zip archive, or directly from my web site's Related Links page as a smaller self-extracting archive:

Related Links

My download is smaller due to using 7-Zip LZMA2 compression. If you are on a slow connection the smaller download will save you a little time, though the difference is not as great as it used to be due to the PDF content, which doesn't compress much.

Save the file to any convenient folder and execute the archive to extract the contents. Load start.html in your browser, and bookmark the page for future reference.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

Commendable Venerable...

No Mac?...
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

appicchato wrote:No Mac?...
Just change the .exe file ending to .7z and then unzip it with Keka.
Rūpehi bhikkhave arūpā santatarā.
Arūpehi nirodho santataro ti.

“Bhikkhus, the formless is more peaceful than the form realms.
Cessation is more peaceful than the formless realms.”
(Santatarasutta, Iti 73)
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Is there no Zip support on a Mac?
Crazy cloud

Post by Crazy cloud »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:Is there no Zip support on a Mac?
http://download.cnet.com/The-Unarchiver ... 55313.htmlworked for me - and thanks a lot :)
If you didn't care
What happened to me
And I didn't care for you

We would zig-zag our way
Through the boredom and pain
Occasionally glancing up through the rain

Wondering which of the
Buggers to blame
And watching for pigs on the wing
- Roger Waters
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:Is there no Zip support on a Mac?
There is support, but it isn't so good with executable files with an .exe suffix.

If I download the zip-suffixed file from ATI I can unzip it with no trouble at all, but if I download an exe-suffixed file from anywhere, before I can do anything with it I need to know exactly what the encoding is and then change the .exe to something more precise: .zip, .rar, .gz, .7z or whatever.

Perhaps there is now a program that will detect an exe's encoding, but as I'm usually a year or two behind the times technologically, I haven't come across it yet.
Rūpehi bhikkhave arūpā santatarā.
Arūpehi nirodho santataro ti.

“Bhikkhus, the formless is more peaceful than the form realms.
Cessation is more peaceful than the formless realms.”
(Santatarasutta, Iti 73)
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I think I will stick with *.exe — anyone who wants Zip can download it from Access to Insight.

My original reason for hosting it was to save time for users on slow connections by compressing it more tightly using 7-Zip. The self-executable is more convenient to install for those who don't have an archive program to unzip *.7z files.

The difference used to be between 13 Mbytes for Zip and about 7 Mbytes for 7-Zip using PPMd compression, but now that it includes PDF files, I use LZMA2 for the best compression, and the difference is not nearly so significant.