good books for those wishing to become a monk

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
konchokzopa

good books for those wishing to become a monk

Post by konchokzopa »

Can someone recommend good books for those who wish to become a monk and are doing something about it, taking steps to become a monk.

hopefully in my case in one and a half year im a samanera.

so any good books about the life of a monk or other useful information, life stories of westerners becoming a monk, anything in this area.

thanks already :anjali:
BlackBird

Re: good books for those wishing to become a monk

Post by BlackBird »

I found the autobiographies of two very good forest monks: Ajahn Thate and Ajahn Lee Dhammadharo to be very inspiring.

Here is Ajahn Thate's:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/thai ... eauto.html

Ajahn Lee's:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/thai/lee/leeauto.pdf

metta
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Not a book, but see the Going Forth site.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
konchokzopa

Post by konchokzopa »

Bhikku Pesala, are you sure you put the link right, i tried it and it cant find the server of that site.

thanks
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

Works for me... :coffee:
konchokzopa

Post by konchokzopa »

ah now it works. Thanks very much Bhikku Pesala and Blackbird
konchokzopa

Post by konchokzopa »

anyone else, real books maybe? :p
Boris

Post by Boris »

Some good advices for monks in general, were given by Climacus. The Ladder of Divine Ascent - Prudence True
For example:
Those who enter this contest must renounce all things, despise all things, deride all things, and shake off all things, that they may lay a firm foundation. A good foundation of three layers and three pillars is innocence, fasting and temperance.

But he who has an attachment to anything visible is not yet delivered from grief. For how is it possible not to be sad at the loss of something we love?

Let us pay close attention to ourselves so that we are not deceived into thinking that we are following the strait and narrow way when in actual fact we are keeping to the wide and broad way. The following will show you what the narrow way means: mortification of the stomach, all-night standing, water in moderation, short rations of bread, the purifying draught of dishonour, sneers, derision, insults, the cutting out of one’s own will, patience in annoyances, unmurmuring endurance of scorn, disregard of insults, and the habit, when wronged, of bearing it sturdily; when slandered, of not being indignant; when humiliated, not to be angry; when condemned, to be humble. Blessed are they who follow the way we have just described, for theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven.

If anyone thinks he is without attachment to some object, but is grieved at its loss, then he is completely deceiving himself.

The man who associates with people of the world or approaches them after his renunciation will certainly either fall into their traps or will defile his heart by thinking about them; or if he is not defiled himself yet by condemning those who are defiled, he too will himself be defiled.

As of all foods bread is the most essential, so the thought of death is the most necessary of all works. The remembrance of death amongst those in the midst of society gives birth to distress and frivolity, and even more—to despondency. But amongst those who are free from noise it produces the putting aside of cares, and constant prayer and guarding of the mind.

A true sign of those who are mindful of death in the depth of their being is a voluntary detachment from every creature and complete renunciation of their own will.

Another who lived here in the place called Thola, often went into ecstasy at the thought of death; and the brothers who found him would lift him and carry him off scarcely breathing, like one who had fainted or had an epileptic fit.
He who has died to all things remembers death, but who ever is still tied to the world does not cease plotting against himself.

The beginning of freedom from anger is silence of the lips when the heart is agitated; the middle is silence of the thoughts when there is a mere disturbance of soul; and the end is an imperturbable calm under the breath of unclean winds.

A vigilant monk is a foe to fornication but a sleepy one mates with it.

A monk who denies himself sleep is a fisher of thoughts, and in the stillness of the night he can easily observe and catch them.

Long sleep produces forgetfulness, but vigil purifies the memory.

The inexperienced monk is wide awake in friendly conversation; but his eyes become heavy when the hour of prayer is upon him.

If you pursue virtue in a monastery or community, you are not likely to be attacked much by fear. But the man who spends his time in more solitary places should make every effort to avoid being overcome by that offspring of vainglory, that daughter of unbelief, cowardice.
The man who wants to avoid grotesque collapses should not look for anything to fulfill him in space and time.

Nicolás Gómez Dávila
Babadhari

Post by Babadhari »

maybe not along the lines of what you're looking for but 'autobiography of a sadhu' by Baba Ram Puri of the Hindu Juna Akhara sect is a good book
Aflame with the fire of passion, the fire of aversion, the fire of delusion.
Aflame, with birth, aging & death, with sorrows, lamentations, pains, distresses, & despairs ......

Seeing thus, the disciple of the Noble One grows disenchanted. SN 35.28
Viscid

Post by Viscid »

I found Getting Off - A Portrait by Samanera Bodhesako to be one of the most honest depictions of Theravadin monkdom.
"What holds attention determines action." - William James
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

If I want to become a monk, I need my preceptor to be a person who is not handling money.
Is this possible?

==========
The Ten Precepts:

1. Panatipata veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
(I undertake to abstain from harming or taking life).

2. Adinnadanna veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
(I undertake to abstain from taking what is not given).

3. Abrahmacariya veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
(I undertake to abstain from any sexual contact).

4. Musavada veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
(I undertake to abstain from false speech).

5. Sura meraya majjapamadatthana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
(I undertake to abstain from the use of intoxicants).

6. Vikalabhojana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
(I undertake to abstain from taking food after midday).

7. Nacca gita vadita visuka dassana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
(I undertake to abstain from dancing, singing, music or any kind of entertainment).

8. Mala ganda vilepana dharana mandana vibhusanatthana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
(I undertake to abstain from the use of garlands, perfumes, unguents and adornments).

9. Uccasayana mahasayana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
(I undertake to abstain from using luxurious seats).

10. Jatarupa rajata patiggahana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
(I undertake to abstain from accepting and holding money
:shrug:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
konchokzopa

Post by konchokzopa »

Viscid wrote:I found Getting Off - A Portrait by Samanera Bodhesako to be one of the most honest depictions of Theravadin monkdom.
the first link doesnt work.
Viscid

Post by Viscid »

konchokzopa wrote:
Viscid wrote:I found Getting Off - A Portrait by Samanera Bodhesako to be one of the most honest depictions of Theravadin monkdom.
the first link doesnt work.
Looks like it was removed shortly after I mentioned the link. Interesting. Perhaps because Path Press has published the book, so you'll have to buy it.
"What holds attention determines action." - William James
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

Getting off: A Portrait is a brilliant account. It's a real shame it's been removed for some reason - I was re-reading it only a few months ago, Bhante's wit and humour made the account such a pleasure to read :(

metta
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)