Nelson Mandela (1918-2013)

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
DNS
Site Admin

Nelson Mandela (1918-2013)

Post by DNS »

Khalil Bodhi

Re: Nelson Mandela (1918-2013)

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

:candle:
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
Babadhari

Post by Babadhari »

“For to be free is not merely to cast off one’s chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others.” —Long Walk to Freedom: The Autobiography of Nelson Mandela

Aflame with the fire of passion, the fire of aversion, the fire of delusion.
Aflame, with birth, aging & death, with sorrows, lamentations, pains, distresses, & despairs ......

Seeing thus, the disciple of the Noble One grows disenchanted. SN 35.28
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

What a long and fruitful life. Respect.

Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
plwk

Post by plwk »

aniccam, dukkha, anatta :buddha1:
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

One of the very few public figures for whom I have total respect, admiration and gratitude.

:bow: :candle:

Kim
manas

Post by manas »

Nelson Mandela was a great man, whose life inspires me to have the courage to stand up for what is right.

Much respect :candle:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
dagon

Post by dagon »

If i was to make a list of the people i most respect in the last 100 years Nelson Mandela would have to be in the top three of that list. I was talking to a group of African friends today from the north south, east and west of Africa. There was Muslims and Christians within that group. All said that Nelson Mandela was the person they most admire and respected.

metta
paul
cooran

Post by cooran »

May Nelson Mandela have a fortunate rebirth. :candle:

With thanks for the wonderful achievements of his life, the hardship he endured, and his freedom from hatred.

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

In my opinion this is a good example of how leading an upright and just life can lead to a long life. Nelson Mandela was and is such an inspiration for so many. May he have a fortunate rebirth (I'm pretty confident that will be so).
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
Jason

Post by Jason »

The world has lost another great revolutionary who fought against the evils of colonialism and racial oppression. A sad day, but the legacy of his achievements will live on.
"Sabbe dhamma nalam abhinivesaya" (AN 7.58).

leaves in the hand (Buddhist-related blog)
leaves in the forest (non-Buddhist related blog)
MidGe

Post by MidGe »

Excerpt from his book "Conversations with myself":
Honesty, sincerity, simplicity, humility, pure generosity, absence of vanity, readiness to serve others – qualities which are within easy reach of every soul – are the foundations of one’s spiritual life.

Development in matters of this nature is inconceivable without serious introspection, without knowing yourself, your weaknesses and mistakes. At least, if for nothing else, the cell gives you the opportunity to look daily into your entire conduct, to overcome the bad and develop whatever is good in you. Regular meditation, say about 15 minutes a day before you turn in, can be very fruitful in this regard. You may find it difficult at first to pinpoint the negative features in your life, but the 10th attempt may yield rich rewards. Never forget that a saint is a sinner who keeps on trying.
The closest to the concept of a universal monarch in modern times?

Very interesting that meditation is so pre-eminent in his own mind as a tool for self-improvement.

The world indeed is poorer for his demise.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Six Things Nelson Mandela Believed That Most People Won’t Talk About on ThinkProgress:
http://thinkprogress.org/home/2013/12/0 ... wont-talk/
In the desire to celebrate Nelson Mandela’s life — an iconic figure who triumphed over South Africa’s brutal apartheid regime — it’s tempting to homogenize his views into something everyone can support. This is not, however, an accurate representation of the man.
Mandela was a political activist and agitator. He did not shy away from controversy and he did not seek — or obtain — universal approval.
...but I applaud every one of those 'six things', and I think most of us here will do so.

:namaste:
Kim
Sanjay PS

Post by Sanjay PS »

Article President Nelson Mandela .jpg
Article President Nelson Mandela .jpg (296.24 KiB) Viewed 2246 times
"Sangam Sarnam Gachami ".

"There is no easy walk to freedom anywhere, and many of us will have to pass through the valley of the shadow of death again and again before we reach the mountaintop of our desires".

" The greatest glory in living lies , not in failing , but in rising every time we fail ."

Words said by revolutionary leader Nelson Mandela.
The Path of Dhamma

The path of Dhamma is no picnic . It is a strenuous march steeply up the hill . If all the comrades desert you , Walk alone ! Walk alone ! with all the Thrill !!

U S.N. Goenka