Bhikkhu Bodhi selected translations on Sutta Central

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
mikenz66

Bhikkhu Bodhi selected translations on Sutta Central

Post by mikenz66 »

Many members may have noticed, as noted in Sujato's Blog here: http://sujato.wordpress.com/2013/09/25/ ... tacentral/ that:
Sujato wrote:We have just uploaded a wide range of English sutta translations by Bhikkhu Bodhi to SuttaCentral. Not all of them, yet, but all that we are legally permitted to use. They include a substantial selection from each of the three Nikayas that he has translated: the Middle length Discourses, the Connected Discourses, and the Numerical Discourses.
It's wonderful that these translations are freely available, though to read the footnotes you'll have to purchase the books.

There are translations there by other translators as well. Check out: http://suttacentral.net/

:anjali:
Mike
bodom

Re: Bhikkhu Bodhi selected translations on Sutta Central

Post by bodom »

Excellent, excellent, excellent! Thank you Mike.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
pulga

Post by pulga »

It's a great site. It'll be a relief to see not quite so many of Ven. Thanissaro's translations floating about the Internet.
"Dhammā=Ideas. This is the clue to much of the Buddha's teaching." ~ Ven. Ñanavira, Commonplace Book
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

That's awesome. The Dhamma is priceless and thus must be shared for free wherever possible. Good on Ven. Bhikkhu Bodhi, and Sutta central for making it happen. I just might have to fish out my BB is No# 1 picture :D
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
SamKR

Post by SamKR »

:twothumbsup:
Anagarika

Post by Anagarika »

pulga wrote:It's a great site. It'll be a relief to see not quite so many of Ven. Thanissaro's translations floating about the Internet.
I'm unsure where this kind of a comment comes from. Ven. Thanissaro is a Pali scholar and highly competent translator. He publishes his writings and translations and gives them away..free. I've been to his Wat in California, and he is a strong, friendly, and encouraging teacher to the monks and lay people at his Wat Metta. The fact that he is a prodigious writer shouldn't be seen as a negative. Without his writings and his translations on ATI, where would many of us be in our own research and study of the Dhamma?
pulga

Post by pulga »

BuddhaSoup wrote: I'm unsure where this kind of a comment comes from. Ven. Thanissaro is a Pali scholar and highly competent translator. He publishes his writings and translations and gives them away..free. I've been to his Wat in California, and he is a strong, friendly, and encouraging teacher to the monks and lay people at his Wat Metta. The fact that he is a prodigious writer shouldn't be seen as a negative. Without his writings and his translations on ATI, where would many of us be in our own research and study of the Dhamma?
All translation is interpretation. It's not good to have just one man's views as a source for what we take to be buddhavacana.
"Dhammā=Ideas. This is the clue to much of the Buddha's teaching." ~ Ven. Ñanavira, Commonplace Book