getting my water from rice or pasta ?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
Babadhari

Re: getting my water from rice or pasta ?

Post by Babadhari »

hi purple planet

the water in food counts for us humans as part of our water consumption but our canine friends should always have fresh drinking water available.
Aflame with the fire of passion, the fire of aversion, the fire of delusion.
Aflame, with birth, aging & death, with sorrows, lamentations, pains, distresses, & despairs ......

Seeing thus, the disciple of the Noble One grows disenchanted. SN 35.28
purple planet

Post by purple planet »

my dog pees in the house - and also does need to drink water

i put 0.6 liters of water in her food - i belive if she drinks on her own she dosnt drink that much
Babadhari

Post by Babadhari »

http://www.petmd.com/dog/nutrition/evr_ ... qTUUsRdUo4
Providing Adequate Water to Dogs

To make sure that your dog always has enough water to keep him/her healthy, you must provide clean, clear water daily that is easily accessible to your pet. Keep your dog’s bowl filled at all times and always refill with fresh, clean water daily.

As a rule of thumb, dogs should drink approximately one ounce of water per pound of body weight each day. There are many factors that can affect how much your dog will drink, however. Depending on the environmental temperature and the amount of exercise your dog performs during the day, more water may be necessary. This is because water is lost due to excessive panting and salivation.

As we mentioned previously, your dog’s food also contains a small amount of moisture. Dogs that are fed a canned food diet will receive quite a bit more moisture as canned food is about 70-80% water. These dogs may drink less than dogs that eat a dry food diet on a daily basis.
Aflame, with birth, aging & death, with sorrows, lamentations, pains, distresses, & despairs ......

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

purple planet wrote:my dog pees in the house - and also does need to drink water

i put 0.6 liters of water in her food - i belive if she drinks on her own she dosnt drink that much
By putting so much water in her food, you could actually be forcing her (through hunger) to take in more water than she needs.
It might be better to let her regulate her own water intake.

:namaste:
Kim
purple planet

Post by purple planet »

the water is to soften the food
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

purple planet wrote:i belive if she drinks on her own she dosnt drink that much
Animals will drink as much as they need to. Your dog knows better than you unless it has some medical condition you haven't related.
kitztack wrote:hi purple planet

the water in food counts for us humans as part of our water consumption but our canine friends should always have fresh drinking water available.
Do this and don't worry about it.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
purple planet

Post by purple planet »

shes old has dementia (might cause her to drink more then she needs) and got lots of teeth pulled (needs soft food) out and she has urinary tract infection (needs to drink lots of water) but she might be ok with the UTI but i cant know cause its hard to get her to a vet to do blood tests and she slips on the floor - so i put a rug and she pees on the rug several times a day

so its important that i understand how much does the water in the food "count" - maybe i will put the water just before the walk outside - and not all day plus its good to know - for instance there are rare days when she dosnt drink at all - so should i try to make her drink or could i be calm that she got all the water from the food
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

purple planet wrote: . . .
You are doing this poor dog no favors. It is indefensible. Before you write another word in this thread, get your dog to a vet.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
purple planet

Post by purple planet »

I was in the vet many many many times - just not lately for the blood tests cause its impossible to take blood from her

anyway it dosnt really matter if i wanted to give the full details i could right a book or two the situation is very complicated and has lots of factors in it - what i would like are more answers and more imput and debate about the original question

so without the details part :
so its important that i understand how much does the water in the food "count" - maybe i will put the water just before the walk outside - and not all day plus its good to know - for instance there are rare days when she dosnt drink at all - so should i try to make her drink or could i be calm that she got all the water from the food
Babadhari

Post by Babadhari »

hi purple planet
sorry to hear about your dogs poor health
even the occasional times i give my dogs canned food or wet their nuts, they still like to drink water after, if only to aid digestion and clean their mouth.

purple planet

Post by purple planet »

thanks kitztack
even the occasional times i give my dogs canned food or wet their nuts, they still like to drink water after, if only to aid digestion and clean their mouth.
yes of course ideally dogs should have full access to fresh water - but in cases like my own maybe a limited time with water is best - not no water access at all just time limited

the link you gave me was good - very helpful - not enough but a step in a good direction

i didnt thank you not cause its not helpful but just so i could get more comments and info on the subject (so know one would think its a "case closed")
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Why not go to the veterinarian and ask them? And if that vet doesn't give you a satisfying solution get a 2nd or even 3rd opinion. The professionals will know better than any of us non-veterinarians.

:anjali:
purple planet

Post by purple planet »

I might do that - but i would REALLY appreciate if i could get as much info and opinions as i can here about my question and not on my situation
Babadhari

Post by Babadhari »

water is water .

whether its rice or dog nuts the water is inherent in them if put there.

the only issue would be with the digestibility of the food and oral hygiene.

try a dog owner forum for more responses would be my advise

good luck

daverupa

Post by daverupa »

purple planet wrote:I might do that - but i would REALLY appreciate if i could get as much info and opinions as i can here about my question and not on my situation
It sounds like it's potentially your dog's situation, perhaps that you're trying to decide if you can avoid putting out fresh water for the animals, either the dog or yourself. My concern is over this situation, and not so much with the question.

Put out fresh water. Or, for you, drink water. Cutting out liquids and trying to eat JUST RICE FOREVER is a very bad idea.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]