Need references about these in Tipitaka (?)

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
faraway

Need references about these in Tipitaka (?)

Post by faraway »

Hi all,

I would like to know the reference about these in Tipitaka?

I know Anantarika-karma (also known as Akusala Garuka Kamma) is mentioned in several suttas. But is there a sutta that explain the five of them altogether?

Several times I head from local buddhist pandita's sermons whom said if one wishes to rebirth as human in next life, he/she should at least keep the Five Precepts in this life (of course he/she shouldn't violate Anantarika-karma too).

Which part of Tipitaka that explain about these?

:anjali:
Mkoll

Re: Need references about these in Tipitaka (?)

Post by Mkoll »

Translator's note: This discourse lists the five grave deeds that are said to prevent one's chances of attaining any of the noble attainments in this lifetime. People who commit them fall — immediately at the moment of death — into hell. No help from outside is able to mitigate the sufferings they will endure in hell, and thus they are said to be incurable. Only when the results of these deeds have worked themselves out will they be released from hell. Even if they return to the human plane, they will continue to suffer the consequences of their deeds. For example, Ven. Moggallana, one of the Buddha's foremost disciples, killed his parents many aeons ago, and the results of that deed pursued him even through his final lifetime, when he was beaten to death.

"There are these five inhabitants of the states of deprivation, inhabitants of hell, who are in agony & incurable. Which five? One who has killed his/her mother, one who has killed his/her father, one who has killed an arahant, one who — with a corrupted mind — has caused the blood of a Tathagata to flow, and one who has caused a split in the Sangha. These are the five inhabitants of the states of deprivation, inhabitants of hell, who are in agony & incurable."
-AN 5.129
"Endowed with these six qualities, a person is incapable of alighting on the lawfulness, the rightness of skillful mental qualities even when listening to the true Dhamma. Which six?

"He has killed his mother; he has killed his father; he has killed an arahant; he has, with corrupt intent, caused the blood of a Tathagata to flow; he has caused a split in the Sangha; or he is a person of dull discernment, slow & dull-witted.

"Endowed with these six qualities, a person is incapable of alighting on the lawfulness, the rightness of skillful mental qualities even when listening to the true Dhamma.

"Endowed with these six qualities, a person is capable of alighting on the lawfulness, the rightness of skillful mental qualities even while listening to the true Dhamma. Which six?

"He has not killed his mother; he has not killed his father; he has not killed an arahant; he has not, with corrupt intent, caused the blood of a Tathagata to flow; he has not caused a split in the Sangha; and he is a discerning person, not slow or dull-witted.

"Endowed with these six qualities, a person is capable of alighting on the lawfulness, the rightness of skillful mental qualities even while listening to the true Dhamma."
-AN 6.87

I haven't read any Suttas with directions about how to achieve human birth again. I'm sure keeping the 5 precepts would help. Following the Noble Eightfold Path as well would be even better.

:anjali:
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
santa100

Post by santa100 »

(1) “Here, bhikkhus, someone has practiced the basis of meritorious activity consisting in giving to a limited extent; he has practiced the basis of meritorious activity consisting in virtuous behavior to a limited extent; but he has not undertaken the basis of meritorious activity consisting in meditative development. With the breakup of the body, after death, he is reborn among humans in an unfavorable condition.

(2) “Someone else has practiced the basis of meritorious activity consisting in giving to a middling extent; he has practiced the basis of meritorious activity consisting in virtuous behavior to a middling extent; but he has not undertaken the basis of meritorious activity consisting in meditative development. With the breakup of the body, after death, he is reborn among humans in a favorable condition.~~ http://suttacentral.net/an8.36/en/ ~~
faraway

Post by faraway »

Thanks MKoll and Santa100 :anjali:

I want to confirm another thing.

I learned there are 31 Planes of Existence in Buddhist Cosmology. But I can't found some of references of them in Sutta, such as:
  • 1. Asura
    2. Ministers of Brahma (brahma-purohita deva)
    3. Great Brahmas (Maha brahma)
    4. Unconscious beings (asaññasatta)
For Asura, I have never seen it mentioned together with other three deprived realms. In most sutta I read, Buddha only mentions the three of them: hungry shades, animals, and hell. Could it possible that Asura is part of Devas of the Four Great Kings (catumaharajika deva)?

I know Maha Brahma is mentioned in Kevatta Sutta, however...

In Saleyyaka Sutta which enlists the most of deva and brahma realms, the Minister of Brahma, Great Brahmas, and Unconscious beings are not mentioned. Instead the sutta mentions two realms that are not exist in the chart:
  • Radiant gods (àbhànam devànam)
    Glorious gods (subhànam devànam)
Pali Text Reference:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... ml#pts.285

In the sutta, the Radiant Gods are positioned after Retinue of Brahma (brahmakāyikānaṃ devānaṃ) and before Gods of Limited Radiance (parittābhānaṃ devānaṃ), so I'm thinking Radiant Gods could refer to Maha Brahma ?

While for Glorious gods, it's positioned between Gods of Streaming Radiance (ābhassarānaṃ devānaṃ) and Gods of Limited Glory (parittasubhānaṃ devānaṃ). In the chart of 31 Planes of Existence, there is no realm between abhassara deva and parittasubha deva, so am I missing something here?
cooran

Post by cooran »

This chart may be of assistance
Click on page 75 in the Contents page and scroll down to page 80
Http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/allex ... pdf#page81

With metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---