What is unique in human compare to animal?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Sanjay PS

Re: What is unique in human compare to animal?

Post by Sanjay PS »

lyndon taylor wrote:I think Humans have a unique and overwhelming tendency to think they are much smarter than they really are, when in fact they are destroying the planet, killing each other, and treating one another like shxt. And now they have the nerve to try and say this is what makes them better than animals, when they really should be studying animals to see how much wisdom they can learn from them. For instance the idea that animals cannot practice Dhamma, complete rubbish. Its humans that can't practice or understand Dhamma, it seems to come quite naturally to many animals.

i am completely and 100 percent on what you have quoted , we think of ourselves as too good for our own good , thus limiting us acutely from learning so much more that life mirrors ( dukkha :smile: ) However , objectively , animals do not have the faculty of awareness of contemplating , annica , dukkha , annata . This by no means diminishes our love and respect for all beings . It only keeps increasing , which i am sure , you know better than me :smile:

As the saying goes , Man has learnt to fly like a bird , swim like a fish , but has yet to walk like a man !

sanjay
The Path of Dhamma

The path of Dhamma is no picnic . It is a strenuous march steeply up the hill . If all the comrades desert you , Walk alone ! Walk alone ! with all the Thrill !!

U S.N. Goenka
binocular

Post by binocular »

SarathW wrote:In regard to making tools and cultural development, I see some animals are better than human!
With the emphasis on "some" ...
I haven’t seen any animal massacre their own kind like human.
Then brace yourself for things like intrauterine cannibalism ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannibalism_(zoology)

plwk wrote:
What is unique in human compare to animal?
At the moment, a chimp hasn't the literal ability to register on Dhamma Wheel and create a 160 paged thread but of course, the gorillas will contest that metaphorically speaking, humans are not humans all the time literally because at times they are metaphorically chimps too but according to the gibbons, they have direct vision and knowledge that chimps are better humans at times literally but the humans are insisting that the gorillas and gibbons are wrong on that and only they are right... and meanwhile the chimps watches on...
Ha!
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

In a nutshell...choice...
Last edited by appicchato on Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
chownah

Post by chownah »

Clothes.
Guccinah
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

The question isn't well-formed: it is the same sort of question as "what is unique about green compared to color?"
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

The most important difference is our invention and use of complex symbolic language that we use to communicate with each other; essentially, it is our skill in communication that sets us apart. We use it to pass ever-increasing and complex information down from generation to generation who can further refine and expand on it.

With speech, the older generation can teach the new one how to do clever things that the older generation learned in their lifetime, thus bypassing evolution via genes. With writing we've created a library of knowledge that no other animal can ever come close to. And now with telecommunications, this knowledge has the potential to be available to every human being on the planet. We can talk and think about things that are not only not present (temporally and spatially), but also ideas that are completely abstract such as good and evil or right and wrong.

Of course some animals can do some of these things but to a much less profound extent. There is a vast gulf between humans and animals on this level.

:anjali:
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

lyndon taylor wrote:I think Humans have a unique and overwhelming tendency to think they are much smarter than they really are, when in fact they are destroying the planet, killing each other, and treating one another like shxt. And now they have the nerve to try and say this is what makes them better than animals, when they really should be studying animals to see how much wisdom they can learn from them. For instance the idea that animals cannot practice Dhamma, complete rubbish. Its humans that can't practice or understand Dhamma, it seems to come quite naturally to many animals.
So it is your desire to become (and remain) an animal?

Humans have the capacity to do stupid things like what you mentioned above, but they also have the capacity to do good things. Animal life is a woeful state. Even a domestic animal is always guarding his territory and in competition with other animals in the house. Animals do kill each other, sometimes for food, sometimes for competition over resources, over a sexual partner, for leadership, etc. If they had the brain (humans have) and the capacity, they would do just as much harm to the planet as we do. We have higher intelligence, but it doesn't have to be used for unwholesome purposes, it can be used for good.
greenjuice

Post by greenjuice »

I've been wondering myself about how Buddhism answers this question. We humans have the five aggregates, also manas and citta are named. Which of these an animal doesn't have, or an animal has all of those but some are different then their counterparts in humans? What does the Tipitaka say- where is the difference between humans and animals?
lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor »

Humans have got a lot of mileage out of their opposable thumbs, its the brains that seem to be lacking, sure we can accomplish impressive things, but ask whether those impressive things are good for the planet as a whole, and our brains go on strike.

Take attachments, make a list of your attachments and a list of your pets attachments, which is longer, who is more likely to be addicted to drugs or alcohol, who is more at peace with their environment, etc. Who has less needs, wants, or desires???
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Hi Lyndon
Why don’t you see the potential and positive side of human?
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

greenjuice wrote:I've been wondering myself about how Buddhism answers this question. We humans have the five aggregates, also manas and citta are named. Which of these an animal doesn't have, or an animal has all of those but some are different then their counterparts in humans? What does the Tipitaka say- where is the difference between humans and animals?
A) Buddha said that to be born as a human is a rare occurrence.
B) Some info:

7. Tiracchàna = tiro, across; acchàna, going. Animals
are so called because as a rule quadrupeds walk horizontally.
Buddhist belief is that beings are born as animals
on account of evil Kamma. There is, however, the possibility
for animals to be born as human beings. Strictly speaking,
it should be said that an animal may manifest itself in
the form of a human being, or vice versa just as an electric
current can be manifested in the forms of light, heat, and
motion successively—one not necessarily being evolved
from the other. An animal may be born in a blissful state
as a result of the good Kamma accumulated in the past.
There are at times certain animals, particularly dogs and
cats, who live a more comfortable life than even human
beings. It is also due to their past good Kamma.
It is one’s Kamma that determines the nature of one’s
material form which varies according to the skill or unskilfulness
of one’s actions. And this again depends entirely on
the evolution of one’s understanding of reality.

P270
http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/abhidhamma.pdf
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
chownah

Post by chownah »

Embarrassment.
Dogs for example will wash their genitals without a thought as to who is watching........will you?
chownah
lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor »

Studies have shown that extremely flexible humans tend to do the same, Chownah!!
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/
binocular

Post by binocular »

chownah wrote:Embarrassment.
Dogs for example will wash their genitals without a thought as to who is watching........will you?
Having a nasty disease eventually tends to strip people of any sense of embarrassment ...
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
greenjuice

Post by greenjuice »

I've looked in that Manual of Abhidhamma all instances that mention animals, and it seems that even though the Abhidhamma "dissects" in detail what makes up a human, it does not explain where the is the difference between human and animal. I remember vaguely that sowhere it was mentioned what is the differencee between an awake and a sleeping human, as in the sleeping one doesn't have his four nama aggregates manifestated or used or something like that, does anyone know about that? Maybe that instance could be used as an analogy for this question.