Hello, I am new here.

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
Taijitu

Hello, I am new here.

Post by Taijitu »

Someone I call a friend guided me to this site as I am trying to learn mindfulness especially with the aim to understand other people's perspective. I have already got a book on the subject but I prefer interaction as a means of learning.

I am also interested in the concept of enlightenment. I have not read anything about the Dhamma Wheel and know very little about Buddhist teaching. I do feel, however, that I have found my own meaning of enlightenment.

For me it is the perfect feeling at the perfect time no matter where one is or what one is doing. This can be maintained 24/7.

It is with this feeling that I come to this forum to learn more about mindfulness and make some friends.

Thank you for your time.
http://www.dhammawheel.com/chat/
Unfettered at last, a traveling monk,
I pass the old Zen barrier.
Mine is a traceless stream-and-cloud life,
Of these mountains, which shall be my home?
Manan (1591-1654)
Hickersonia

Re: Hello, I am new here.

Post by Hickersonia »

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel, friend. May you find what you seek. :anjali:
Hickersonia
http://hickersonia.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of
throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned."
Babadhari

Post by Babadhari »

pleased to make your acquaintance
Aflame with the fire of passion, the fire of aversion, the fire of delusion.
Aflame, with birth, aging & death, with sorrows, lamentations, pains, distresses, & despairs ......

Seeing thus, the disciple of the Noble One grows disenchanted. SN 35.28
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Welcome Taijitu.

I apologize in advance for the dryness of the presentation below, but I think it is good to have some basic information if you don't know it already.

In terms of the Buddhist perspective on mindfulness, mindfulness is the 7th factor of the Noble Eightfold Path: (1) right view, (2) right intention, (3) right speech, (4) right action, (5) right livelihood, (6) right effort, (7) right mindfulness, (8) right concentration.

In turn, the Noble Eightfold Path is the 4th Noble Truth of Buddhism, those truths being: (1) the truth of dukkha, (2) the truth of the origin of dukkha, (3) the truth of the cessation of dukkha, and (4) the truth of the Path leading to the cessation of dukkha.

And right mindfulness itself is defined in the following excerpt from a discourse of the Buddha as recorded in the Pali Canon:
"And what, monks, is right mindfulness? (i) There is the case where a monk remains focused on the body in & of itself — ardent, aware, & mindful — putting away greed & distress with reference to the world. (ii) He remains focused on feelings in & of themselves — ardent, aware, & mindful — putting away greed & distress with reference to the world. (iii) He remains focused on the mind in & of itself — ardent, aware, & mindful — putting away greed & distress with reference to the world. (iv) He remains focused on mental qualities in & of themselves — ardent, aware, & mindful — putting away greed & distress with reference to the world. This, monks, is called right mindfulness.
-SN 45.8

:anjali:
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Welcome Taijitu,

:hello:

Mike
cooran

Post by cooran »

Welcome Taijitu !! :group:

with metta,
Cris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!

:toast:
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Taijitu,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

:buddha1:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

:hello:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Taijitu

Post by Taijitu »

Hello everyone!

Thank you so much for such a warm welcome. I must learn what :anjali: means to you all, I like it without knowing why.
Mkoll wrote:Welcome Taijitu.

I apologize in advance for the dryness of the presentation below, but I think it is good to have some basic information if you don't know it already.

In terms of the Buddhist perspective on mindfulness, mindfulness is the 7th factor of the Noble Eightfold Path: (1) right view, (2) right intention, (3) right speech, (4) right action, (5) right livelihood, (6) right effort, (7) right mindfulness, (8) right concentration.

In turn, the Noble Eightfold Path is the 4th Noble Truth of Buddhism, those truths being: (1) the truth of dukkha, (2) the truth of the origin of dukkha, (3) the truth of the cessation of dukkha, and (4) the truth of the Path leading to the cessation of dukkha.

And right mindfulness itself is defined in the following excerpt from a discourse of the Buddha as recorded in the Pali Canon:
"And what, monks, is right mindfulness? (i) There is the case where a monk remains focused on the body in & of itself — ardent, aware, & mindful — putting away greed & distress with reference to the world. (ii) He remains focused on feelings in & of themselves — ardent, aware, & mindful — putting away greed & distress with reference to the world. (iii) He remains focused on the mind in & of itself — ardent, aware, & mindful — putting away greed & distress with reference to the world. (iv) He remains focused on mental qualities in & of themselves — ardent, aware, & mindful — putting away greed & distress with reference to the world. This, monks, is called right mindfulness.
-SN 45.8

Apologize? This and the warm welcomes is what I am here for. The more I read of mindfulness the more I feel I have already have it but I still feel that it can teach me about other people's perspective. Interestingly I thought that mindfulness was right concentration as that is another thing I wish to learn. I am not going to skip on mindfulness for now but it is encouraging to see I am approaching it in the right order at least.

If one is as free from "negative" emotions as one can possibly get does mindfulness still have more to teach? My book seems to be aiming to cure me from these but I feel my life experiences already have done this.
http://www.dhammawheel.com/chat/
Unfettered at last, a traveling monk,
I pass the old Zen barrier.
Mine is a traceless stream-and-cloud life,
Of these mountains, which shall be my home?
Manan (1591-1654)
bodom

Post by bodom »

Welcome Taijitu!!

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Welcome Taijitu!!
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
Barbara

Post by Barbara »

Happy to have you here Taijitu :)