Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Fede sees my avatar covering much of my posts - does anyone else see it that way? It looks fine on my screen.
Last edited by Nicholas Weeks on Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.
Fede

Re: Avatar Covering Posts

Post by Fede »

"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Yes I have seen that. Are your display setting at 800 x 600? Perhaps larger would help.
Last edited by Nicholas Weeks on Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Hi Will,
Will wrote:Fede sees my avatar covering much of my posts - does anyone else see it that way? It looks fine on my screen.
It's fine on mine too. Being only 170 pixels wide it falls well within the specified limits for a non-obstructive avatar. Fédé, are you sure you're not just pulling his leg? ;)

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
Fede

Post by Fede »

Nope, honest. I really do see an overlap of his avatar onto the text.
So what should i do on my PC to amend this? :shock: :)
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Fede wrote:Nope, honest. I really do see an overlap of his avatar onto the text.
So what should i do on my PC to amend this? :shock: :)
Try going to Start, Settings, Control Panel, Display, settings and drag the button to the right, (I have XP Home) increasing the pixels.
Last edited by Nicholas Weeks on Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fede

Post by Fede »

I'm in deep trouble.
I took the arrow too far right.
Now I have a black screen with a notice in the middle which says out of range and I don't know how to undo it.

Fede

Post by Fede »

*Phew!*

I managed to clear it by somehow accessing "Restore System settings" and putting it right that way! Cripes that was close!
This is my partner's main work PC and I'd have gotten it in the neck if I hadn't managed to 'fix' it!

retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Fede,

Are you able to post a screen shot of the problem?

You can do this by pressing the "Print Screen" button on your keyboard.

Then go into a program like MS Paint and paste it.

Then you can save the image (preferably as a JPG) and then come back here and attach the JPG as an attachment.

Then we can visually see what you're seeing and possibly work out a solution.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Fede

Post by Fede »

I think it must have been something to do with my screen resolution after all, Retro.
After my stupid debacle last night, when I nudged the selection arrow too far to the right and basically deleted my whole screen! ( :roll: ) I managed to redress the "error" by going into startup and opening in safe mode.
Then I clicked "Ctrl/Alt/Delete" and got the Task Master box up, and went into 'help' where I searched for "restore" and followed the instructions to restore system settings to an hour previously!

Listen, for a Technical Fudgewit such as I, this was no mean feat! Technology and I are not easy bedfellows, so this was an achievement of gargantuan proportions for me... in direct proportion to the flak I would have had to endure, from my partner, had I NOT been able to put matters right!

In any case, I then went back into the Screen resolution setting - and cautiously moved the arrow a teeny-tiny bit to the right ( :lol: ) and it seemed to do the trick.

I felt you should all share that with me for the entertainment value alone.
I really do need walking through these things one small step at a time. !

Retro...Which button on my keyboard would be the 'screenshot button', please? :?: :)

Fede

Post by Fede »

Ok, sorry, new question....
I found the button! Again, all on my own! (Don't laugh - I can't help it!)
I even managed to get as far as Microsoft Paint, and paste it, but then when I tried to cut and paste, and put it into here, I don't know how to get it into a post.

Walk me..... :roll:

retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Fede,

For future reference!

1. PostReply
2. Scroll down until you see the Options and Upload attachment tabs
3. Switch to Upload attachment
4. Click Choose File... go and find the file on your drive
5. Click Add The File
6. Submit

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Fede

Post by Fede »

Ta. ;)

Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Sorry Fede that you had such a near disaster. I should have added "move to the right a little bit and then check". But I am basically a neo-luddite and should never give techie advice.

But you have made an excellent discovery - Fede can fix what Fede feared to fix :!: