What is unique in human compare to animal?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
SarathW

Re: What is unique in human compare to animal?

Post by SarathW »

We separate human from animal in a conventional sense.
This is something like we are trying to separate the mountain range from each peak and trough.
I think we should see a range of consciousness instead of separating each being into categories.
Then we can see how some human got animal characteristics and vice versa.
Our consciousness is much older than the current world system.
This is explained in The Path of Purification.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... on2011.pdf
:)
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
ES06

Post by ES06 »

lyndon taylor wrote:Humans have got a lot of mileage out of their opposable thumbs, its the brains that seem to be lacking, sure we can accomplish impressive things, but ask whether those impressive things are good for the planet as a whole, and our brains go on strike.

Take attachments, make a list of your attachments and a list of your pets attachments, which is longer, who is more likely to be addicted to drugs or alcohol, who is more at peace with their environment, etc. Who has less needs, wants, or desires???
But which one knows ways to let go existing attachments?
Zom

Post by Zom »

Answer is so simple. Wisdom.
lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor »

You can't second guess animals and know what and how they are thinking, so I think its best we give animals the benefit of the doubt and honestly say we don't know if they can practice religion in any way similar to us, its rather prententious of a species that is rapidly destroying the planet to claim all superiorities from animals that have lived on this planet much longer than us, with much less damage to the environment.
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/
Kamran

Post by Kamran »

I believe the development of language in humans changed the way the brain works compared to other primates. It led to thinking using symbolic representations and concepts, a sort of virtual reality, and the idea of the self.
santa100

Post by santa100 »

What is unique in human compare to animal? the capability to build anything AND to destroy everything..
no mike

Post by no mike »

The capacity to overcome instinct and conditioning.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

santa100 wrote:What is unique in human compare to animal? the capability to build anything AND to destroy everything..
Hi Santa
Can you give bit more information.
I have seen documentaries that animal build and destroy their nest with anger.
santa100

Post by santa100 »

SarathW wrote: Hi Santa
Can you give bit more information.
I have seen documentaries that animal build and destroy their nest with anger.
In terms of what's wholesome and unwholesome, our capability has extended far beyond the animals in BOTH directions. There were the Buddha, Mother Teresa, Dr. Jonas Salk,.. AND there were Genghis Khan, Pol Pot, Hitler,..We send men to the moon, build schools, hospitals, or vaccines that can save many lives and yet we also make enough nuclear weapons that can obliterate the whole world many times over. We're definitely unique in terms of intelligence and capability. But in terms of wisdom? from what's been happening, at best it's a 50/50 ignorance/wisdom mix..
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Hi Santa
I see your point. What I am looking for is whether there are any characteristics which find only in human.
Why did Buddha say that human life is so rare and important?
santa100

Post by santa100 »

SarathW wrote: Hi Santa
I see your point. What I am looking for is whether there are any characteristics which find only in human.
Why did Buddha say that human life is so rare and important?
There're quite a few things as already mentioned in the other posts. One obvious one is that our level of intelligence is quite unique. We're the only species so far on earth that can build spaceships and put men on the moon and at the same time build nuclear weapons that can destroy everything.

Your second question has 2 parts: rarity and importance of human life. Rarity because it's a matter of probability: the odds of being born human is 1 divided by the sum of all species within the animal realm (~ 8.7 millions and growing) plus all classes of beings in the hell, hungry ghosts, asuras, and deva realms. Needless to say, that's a very very tiny number. Importance because humans have about the right mix of suffering and blessing. Too much blessing like the devas and you won't have any need to practice the Dhamma. Too much suffering and you won't have any energy left for the Dhamma..
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

SarathW wrote:Why did Buddha say that human life is so rare and important?
Dear Sarath,

From a scientific perspective, there is what is called the Rare Earth hypothesis. Basically, it says that the odds of intelligent life like ourselves arising in the universe requires a precise confluence of factors and the probability of this is astronomically tiny.

Here are just a tiny sample of factors: you have to have an environment supportive of simple lifeforms, that simple life has to evolve into more complex lifeforms, the more complex life has to develop greater intelligence, that smarter complex life has to become self-aware, those self-aware lifeforms have to survive and develop morality and technology and not wipe themselves out, and all the while this is happening the environment can't be subjected to huge catastrophes.

If that asteroid didn't hit the earth, the dinosaurs would probably still be ruling it and the largest mammals would be the size of dogs. Or if a bigger asteroid hit, only single-celled organisms might have survived, if that. Or a gamma ray burst could hit the earth and wipe out our atmosphere and all life. Heck, it could happen today and we'd have no warning of it.

Space is a dangerous place.

:anjali:
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Thanks Mkoll
I think in a given moment every thing (not only human life) is a rare moment . It is highly unlikely it will repeat again.

You did not say why human life is so important.

Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

SarathW wrote:Thanks Mkoll
I think in a given moment every thing (not only human life) is a rare moment . It is highly unlikely it will repeat again.

You did not say why human life is so important.

Dear SarathW,

You're right, I didn't. But I think you've said it quite nicely: it's rare.

:anjali:
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »