Mistake for laity to focus on practices given to monastics?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
mettafuture

Mistake for laity to focus on practices given to monastics?

Post by mettafuture »

Many Western Buddhists try to blur the lines between the discourses given to monastics (ex. monks) and the laity, claiming that most of the teachings directed to monastics can be immediately put into practice by a lay follower. But is it a mistake to assume this, or to start with these practices? Shouldn't we first focus on the teachings that were specifically addressed to us?
manas

Re: Mistake for laity to focus on practices given to monasti

Post by manas »

mettafuture wrote:Many Western Buddhists try to blur the lines between the discourses given to monastics (ex. monks) and the laity, claiming that most of the teachings directed to monastics can be immediately put into practice by a lay follower. But is it a mistake to assume this, or to start with these practices? Shouldn't we first focus on the teachings that were specifically addressed to us?
Hi mettafuture,

could you be a bit more specific? Which teachings / practices are you referring to here?

kind regards,
manas :anjali:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

mettafuture wrote:Many Western Buddhists try to blur the lines between the discourses given to monastics (ex. monks) and the laity, claiming that most of the teachings directed to monastics can be immediately put into practice by a lay follower. But is it a mistake to assume this, or to start with these practices? Shouldn't we first focus on the teachings that were specifically addressed to us?
Hi, Mettafuture,
I don't know if we "try" or if we do it accidentally, just by failing to distinguish the two kinds of teachings, but I agree that it is a bit of a problem and I have said so here a few times.
But Manas' question is a good one ... I will stand back and let you answer it before saying any more.

:namaste:
Kim
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Any advantages mental state improves the future!
I do not think this has to be done in any particular order.

See also :

http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 80#p272701
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
mettafuture

Post by mettafuture »

manas wrote:
mettafuture wrote:could you be a bit more specific? Which teachings / practices are you referring to here?
All of them, really. Every teaching that was originally given to a monastic. Lay followers could, of course, read these teachings, and learn from them, but I believe it might be better if new Buddhists started with the teachings that were originally addressed to the laity. There had to have been a reason why the Buddha gave so many varied discourses, and didn't teach the exact same thing to everyone.

Take the famous Anapanasati Sutta, as one example. This discourse was given to "elder monks", respected arahants who were just a few steps under the Buddha himself, and yet teachers throughout the West present this discourse as a kind of fast track for fulfilling the four foundations of mindfulness. But how can the four foundations be fulfilled without a clear comprehension of what they are? It seems like some important steps are being skipped.

I propose the following "syllabus" for new Buddhists (and maybe for most of us):
  • Review suttas given to lay followers. Put 5 precepts and some of the other lay teachings into practice.
  • Review wider range of suttas, particularly the Satipatthana Sutta. Begin Satipatthana practice.
  • Anapanasati study and practice. Study all other suttas.
  • Attain stream-entry. :meditate:
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

mettafuture wrote:Take the famous Anapanasati Sutta, as one example. This discourse was given to "elder monks", respected arahants who were just a few steps under the Buddha himself, and yet teachers throughout the West present this discourse as a kind of fast track for fulfilling the four foundations of mindfulness.
Dear mettafuture,

I think there were other, less accomplished monks there as well as the elder monks.
On that occasion the elder monks were teaching & instructing. Some elder monks were teaching & instructing ten monks, some were teaching & instructing twenty monks, some were teaching & instructing thirty monks, some were teaching & instructing forty monks. The new monks, being taught & instructed by the elder monks, were discerning grand, successive distinctions.
Regardless, you are right in that he definitely was talking to monks here and same with the Satipaṭṭhāna Sutta. This is an interesting question and it's good that you've brought it up.

:anjali:
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
mettafuture

Post by mettafuture »

Mkoll wrote:
mettafuture wrote:Take the famous Anapanasati Sutta, as one example. This discourse was given to "elder monks", respected arahants who were just a few steps under the Buddha himself, and yet teachers throughout the West present this discourse as a kind of fast track for fulfilling the four foundations of mindfulness.
I think there were other, less accomplished monks there as well as the elder monks.
You're absolutely right. The younger monks most likely remained present during the Anapanasati discourse.
Regardless, you are right in that he definitely was talking to monks here and same with the Satipaṭṭhāna Sutta. This is an interesting question and it's good that you've brought it up.
Thank you. And I apologize to everyone if I was rude or disrespectful in any way. I just feel it's very important more of the Buddha's teachings be included in our Western curriculum. I'm not sure how most teachers today are doing it, but the teachers I've had taught a very simplified and secularized version of Buddhism that glossed over many of the teachings that were given to the laity. I also wonder why more teachers don't teach directly from the suttas, as in read a sutta and give commentary on its meaning. Perhaps that would feel too much like church for some people?
chownah

Post by chownah »

I think it is not a mistake for laity to focus on practices which are shown in the Suttas as being addresses to monastics.

I think there is a problem for some laity in that they do not have the ability to carry through on these teachings quickly enough to see benefits right away and then they get discouraged. This is an issue of readiness, not an issue of monk hood or not.

Everyone does best by finding what teachings resonate with their life and which bring results.......it is a mistake to not investigate some teaching just because it was addressed to monastics in the Suttas.

chownah
pulga

Post by pulga »

chownah wrote: Everyone does best by finding what teachings resonate with their life and which bring results.......it is a mistake to not investigate some teaching just because it was addressed to monastics in the Suttas.
This brings to mind the Anātha­piṇḍik­ovādasutta (M143).
"Dhammā=Ideas. This is the clue to much of the Buddha's teaching." ~ Ven. Ñanavira, Commonplace Book
Thitadhammo

Post by Thitadhammo »

Fritz Schaefer (10.05.1923 – 17.10.2012) wrote a book called "The Buddha did not only teach for monks and nuns" - "Der Buddha sprach nicht nur für Mönche und Nonnen" wherein he collected most of the discourses held for laypeople, illustrating a realistic and gradual approach to Dhamma practice for those living in the house.

http://www.amazon.com/Buddha-sprach-nic ... und+Nonnen

Hardcover, 880 pages
Publisher: Kristkeitz Werner; 2., vollst. überarb. A. edition (May 1, 2002)
Language: German
ISBN-10: 3921508800
ISBN-13: 978-3921508800
Product Dimensions: 10.2 x 7.1 x 2 inches
Shipping Weight: 3.4 pounds
Bodhi Vihara in Freising, Germany
http://bodhi-vihara.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bodom

Post by bodom »

This is one reason that I started this thread:

Suttas for the Householder
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=259

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
mettafuture

Post by mettafuture »

chownah wrote:Everyone does best by finding what teachings resonate with their life and which bring results.......it is a mistake to not investigate some teaching just because it was addressed to monastics in the Suttas.
Of course it would be. My point was about starting with, and focusing only on (select) teachings that were given to monastics. There must have been a reason why the Buddha didn't give the exact same instructions to everyone. The teachings he gave to monks and nuns might be more advanced, for someone who's further along the path. It would make sense if we worked our way up to those teachings from the teachings the Buddha first gave to lay followers, as a math student would start with algebra before calculus.
Thitadhammo wrote:Fritz Schaefer (10.05.1923 – 17.10.2012) wrote a book called "The Buddha did not only teach for monks and nuns" - "Der Buddha sprach nicht nur für Mönche und Nonnen" wherein he collected most of the discourses held for laypeople, illustrating a realistic and gradual approach to Dhamma practice for those living in the house.
That sounds like a really good book. Unfortunately it's written in a language I don't know. :( Many of the dhamma talks that cover topics I want to learn more about (recollections, elements, kasinas, etc) aren't available in English either. Maybe it's about time I learn more languages.
bodom wrote:
mettafuture wrote:This is one reason that I started this thread:

Suttas for the Householder
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=259

I love that thread. :)
dhammapal

Post by dhammapal »

Sutta Nipata 2.14
Dhammika Sutta (extracts)
translated from the Pali
by John D. Ireland

Thus have I heard. At one time the Lord was staying near Savatthi in the Jeta Grove at Anathapindika's monastery. Now the lay-follower Dhammika with five hundred other lay-followers approached the Lord. Having drawn near and having saluted the Lord respectfully he sat down at one side. Sitting there the lay-follower Dhammika addressed the Lord as follows:

"I ask Gotama [1] of extensive wisdom this: How acting is a disciple virtuous — both the disciple who has gone from home to the homeless state and the followers who are householders?
<...>
The Buddha:
A wise man should avoid unchastity as (he would avoid falling into) a pit of glowing charcoal. If unable to lead a celibate life, he should not go to another's wife.
From: Dhammika Sutta translated from the Pali by John D. Ireland
With metta / dhammapal.
mettafuture

Post by mettafuture »

Would it be fair to say that stream-entry is the minimum goal for a practicing Buddhist?

To attain stream-entry, 3 fetters must be eliminated:
1) Identity view
2) Uncertainty regarding practice
3) Attachment to external rituals

From what I've read and learned from my own practice, contemplating the elements raises awareness of the 5 aggregates and how they interconnect with the surrounding world, which in turn counters identity view.

Investigating and practicing the Buddha's teachings, and/or recollecting the qualities of the Buddha, the Dhamma, and the Sangha (anussati), counters uncertainty.

And maintaining focus on Buddha-dhamma by way of the Five Precepts, and not letting outside philosophies muddle your practice, eliminates the 3rd fetter.

Is this, essentially, the essence of "bare minimum" lay Buddhist practice?

Edit: Removed " and monastic community" from third to last sentence to fix bad grammar.
Last edited by mettafuture on Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

mettafuture wrote:Would it be fair to say that stream-entry is the minimum goal for a practicing Buddhist?

To attain stream-entry, 3 fetters must be eliminated:
1) Identity view
2) Uncertainty regarding practice
3) Attachment to external rituals

From what I've read and learned from my own practice, contemplating the elements raises awareness of the 5 aggregates and how they interconnect with the surrounding world, which in turn counters identity view.

Investigating and practicing the Buddha's teachings and monastic community, and/or recollecting the qualities of the Buddha, the Dhamma, and the Sangha (anussati), counters uncertainty.

And maintaining focus on Buddha-dhamma by way of the Five Precepts, and not letting outside philosophies muddle your practice, eliminates the 3rd fetter.

Is this, essentially, the essence of "bare minimum" lay Buddhist practice?
You can set the bar as high as you like - and all credit to you! - but I think your "bare minimum" is way higher than that of most lay Buddhists. Keeping the Five Precepts (and the extra three on Uposatha days) and giving to the local temple seems to be pretty much the norm. It's much the same as the typical lay Christian's practice - church once a week, a bit of charitable work or donations, and keeping the basic morality rules, the Commandments.
I am not saying that this pattern is ideal, of course. Sincere Christians and Buddhists alike will aspire for more but the reality is that most lay people of both faiths (and I could probably broaden that to say all faiths) are not very interested in the religion they happened to be born into. The world would be a different place if 99% of Christians actually tried to "love one another", wouldn't it?

:namaste:
Kim