Is snuff an intoxicant?

Postby villkorkarma » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:34 pm

dont hurt anyone in any sort of way
villkorkarma

Re: Is snuff an intoxicant?

Postby cooran » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:32 am

---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Postby Mkoll » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:04 am

Dear villkorkarma,

It's a psychoactive drug. It gets you "high". And it's mercilessly addictive. I would say that classifies it as an intoxicant.

If you're trying to quit, there are many programs, advice, and products out there. I have no experience with nicotine addiction but I'm sure some folks on this forum can help point you in the right direction.

:anjali:
Peace,
James
Mkoll

Postby villkorkarma » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:33 pm

Its not dangerous
villkorkarma

Postby Justsit » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:55 pm

villkorkarma wrote:Its not dangerous

It causes mouth cancer. Google the pictures.
Dangerous.
Justsit

Postby Mkoll » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:30 pm

villkorkarma wrote:Its not dangerous

Dear villkorkarma,

It's less dangerous than smoking cigarettes for the body.

Regardless, it is dangerous for your brain and mind. Psychoactive drugs change the neurotransmitter system in your brain. Nicotine is one of the most addictive psychoactive drugs.

Be well.

Peace,
James
Mkoll

Postby shaunc » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:57 am

I'm not condoning the use of tobacco in any way, but the use of tobacco in any form does not break the 5th precept. In Thailand many monks use cigarettes & I'm sure that oral tobacco is also used by monks in some countries. There are health risks associated with any tobacco use but assuming you're an adult I'm sure you're aware of them & able to make informed decisions.
shaunc

Postby ES06 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:33 pm

shaunc wrote:I'm not condoning the use of tobacco in any way, but the use of tobacco in any form does not break the 5th precept. In Thailand many monks use cigarettes & I'm sure that oral tobacco is also used by monks in some countries. There are health risks associated with any tobacco use but assuming you're an adult I'm sure you're aware of them & able to make informed decisions.

If they are harmful to health, they breaks the first precept. If we don't harm living being and oneself is also a living being.
ES06

Postby shaunc » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:45 am

ES06 wrote:
shaunc wrote:I'm not condoning the use of tobacco in any way, but the use of tobacco in any form does not break the 5th precept. In Thailand many monks use cigarettes & I'm sure that oral tobacco is also used by monks in some countries. There are health risks associated with any tobacco use but assuming you're an adult I'm sure you're aware of them & able to make informed decisions.

If they are harmful to health, they breaks the first precept. If we don't harm living being and oneself is also a living being.

I thought he was asking whether snuff was an intoxicant, which would relate to the 5th precept.
Plenty of Thai monks I've met smoke cigarettes, surely you wouldn't say they're breaking the 1st precept.
shaunc

Postby ES06 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:32 pm

I think they kind of break it. Surely, intoxicants may not break the precept in literal sense, but I still think that spirit of the precept covers also oneself. Of course, not harming other living beings is more important point of the precept, still... But this all is just my view.

And yeah, I guess I didn't read the post carefully enough, we were talking here about the 5th precept.
ES06

Postby villkorkarma » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:01 pm

i thinmk snuff is a kind of drug
villkorkarma

Postby Mkoll » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:28 pm

Dear villkorkarma,

If I may be frank and direct, it seems you are obsessed with snuff, viz you are addicted to it. I say this because you've posted about it in other threads as well as this one. I'm not trying to be mean here but I only point this out in case no one's ever told you before.

Snuff is a kind of drug that can be abused and thus become an object of addiction. My advice: try to quit.

Peace,
James
Mkoll

Postby cooran » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:19 am

This is long, but worth considering:

Dissertation on Buddhism: Avoiding pamada: An analysis of the Fifth Precept as Social Protection in Contemporary Contexts with reference to early Buddhist Teachings by Paul Trafford
http://www.chezpaul.org.uk/buddhism/MSt ... tation.htm

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Postby Floor » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:23 am

If you are wondering if using snuff is breaking the 5 precept for Lay practitioners, the answer is yes. Snuff is an intoxicant.

Is it a large bad karma? No. But I would make an effort to ween yourself off o it.
Floor

Postby villkorkarma » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:32 am

From my experience its have been helpfull for me. :woohoo:
Kind of karma? Can you tell me more about that. It would be fantastic :):)

Mkoll Alright :) thank you, but I dont still not understand why I should quit. Can I do something horrible because I use snuff?! :!: :thinking: :heart:
villkorkarma

Postby Mkoll » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:42 am

villkorkarma wrote:Mkoll Alright :) thank you, but I dont still not understand why I should quit. Can I do something horrible because I use snuff?

Dear villkorkarma,

If you stop using snuff for a few days, you will likely start experiencing withdrawal symptoms (copied from US gov't Medline Plus website):

An intense craving for nicotine
Anxiety
Depression
Drowsiness or trouble sleeping, as well as bad dreams and nightmares
Feeling tense, restless, or frustrated
Headaches
Increased appetite and weight gain
Problems concentrating

Withdrawal symptoms are the sign that your body and brain have become dependent upon nicotine. They've become so used to it that when they stop getting nicotine, you experience withdrawal symptoms. But they do go away if you quit. Like I said, there are programs out there to help you quit like using nicotine patches if you don't want to quit cold turkey.

I began using drugs thinking: "This is great!" and experiencing lots of pleasure. As time went on, it became less and less pleasurable and more like a routine. Towards the end, it was like: "This really isn't worth it and but I'm going to keep doing it anyways...". I tried and failed to quit many times.

I finally quit using drugs because one day I woke up to how negative an effect that they were having on me. Enough was enough. And this was before I became a Buddhist or knew about the five precepts. Now that I know of the five precepts and Buddhism, I'm even happier that I stopped using intoxicants!

I had to get to that low of a point where I truly said to myself: "Enough is enough." Maybe you haven't gotten to that low point. Maybe you never will. I only share my experience to say: don't go there.

In the end, doing or not doing drugs is up to you.

Peace,
James
Mkoll

Postby Feathers » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:45 am

The nice thing about the Buddhist precepts (as I understand it) is that while they overlap with morality (e.g. don't murder, don't steal) they are really more a handbook or advice for how to develop on the path, how to lead a better spiritual life. So you can drink, smoke, take snuff without it being morally terrible (as long as you're not committing harm to others while under the influence I guess). But the precepts are probably telling you (us, actually, I'm currently seeing in the New Year with a midori and lemonade :p) that it can/will hinder us on the path.
Feathers

Postby Mkoll » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:54 am

Dear friends,

By following the precepts including abandoning the use of intoxicants, you give limitless freedom from danger, animosity, and oppression to limitless beings. And by doing so, you gain a share of that of that freedom and thus merit for future lives.

"Monks, there are these eight rewards of merit, rewards of skillfulness, nourishments of happiness, celestial, resulting in happiness, leading to heaven, leading to what is desirable, pleasurable, & appealing, to welfare & happiness. Which eight?

"There is the case where a disciple of the noble ones has gone to the Buddha for refuge. This is the first reward of merit, reward of skillfulness, nourishment of happiness, celestial, resulting in happiness, leading to heaven, leading to what is desirable, pleasurable, & appealing; to welfare & to happiness.

"Furthermore, the disciple of the noble ones has gone to the Dhamma for refuge. This is the second reward of merit...

"Furthermore, the disciple of the noble ones has gone to the Sangha for refuge. This is the third reward of merit...

"Now, there are these five gifts, five great gifts — original, long-standing, traditional, ancient, unadulterated, unadulterated from the beginning — that are not open to suspicion, will never be open to suspicion, and are unfaulted by knowledgeable contemplatives & brahmans. Which five?

"There is the case where a disciple of the noble ones, abandoning the taking of life, abstains from taking life. In doing so, he gives freedom from danger, freedom from animosity, freedom from oppression to limitless numbers of beings. In giving freedom from danger, freedom from animosity, freedom from oppression to limitless numbers of beings, he gains a share in limitless freedom from danger, freedom from animosity, and freedom from oppression. This is the first gift, the first great gift — original, long-standing, traditional, ancient, unadulterated, unadulterated from the beginning — that is not open to suspicion, will never be open to suspicion, and is unfaulted by knowledgeable contemplatives & brahmans. And this is the fourth reward of merit...

"Furthermore, abandoning taking what is not given (stealing), the disciple of the noble ones abstains from taking what is not given. In doing so, he gives freedom from danger, freedom from animosity, freedom from oppression to limitless numbers of beings. In giving freedom from danger, freedom from animosity, freedom from oppression to limitless numbers of beings, he gains a share in limitless freedom from danger, freedom from animosity, and freedom from oppression. This is the second gift, the second great gift... and this is the fifth reward of merit...

"Furthermore, abandoning illicit sex, the disciple of the noble ones abstains from illicit sex. In doing so, he gives freedom from danger, freedom from animosity, freedom from oppression to limitless numbers of beings. In giving freedom from danger, freedom from animosity, freedom from oppression to limitless numbers of beings, he gains a share in limitless freedom from danger, freedom from animosity, and freedom from oppression. This is the third gift, the third great gift... and this is the sixth reward of merit...

"Furthermore, abandoning lying, the disciple of the noble ones abstains from lying. In doing so, he gives freedom from danger, freedom from animosity, freedom from oppression to limitless numbers of beings. In giving freedom from danger, freedom from animosity, freedom from oppression to limitless numbers of beings, he gains a share in limitless freedom from danger, freedom from animosity, and freedom from oppression. This is the fourth gift, the fourth great gift... and this is the seventh reward of merit...

"Furthermore, abandoning the use of intoxicants, the disciple of the noble ones abstains from taking intoxicants. In doing so, he gives freedom from danger, freedom from animosity, freedom from oppression to limitless numbers of beings. In giving freedom from danger, freedom from animosity, freedom from oppression to limitless numbers of beings, he gains a share in limitless freedom from danger, freedom from animosity, and freedom from oppression. This is the fifth gift, the fifth great gift — original, long-standing, traditional, ancient, unadulterated, unadulterated from the beginning — that is not open to suspicion, will never be open to suspicion, and is unfaulted by knowledgeable contemplatives & brahmans. And this is the eighth reward of merit, reward of skillfulness, nourishment of happiness, celestial, resulting in happiness, leading to heaven, leading to what is desirable, pleasurable, & appealing; to welfare & to happiness.
-AN 8.39
Peace,
James
Mkoll

Postby villkorkarma » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:13 am

[quote="Mkoll"]Dear friends,

By following the precepts including abandoning the use of intoxicants, you give limitless freedom from danger, animosity, and oppression to limitless beings. And by doing so, you gain a share of that of that freedom and thus merit for future lives. [{quote="Mkoll"]

i dont mean to be meen but if you didnt stop with snuff it was because its was to good? did you stop with it because its causes you bad kamma and karma ofcourse? not heave but still some karma.
Limitless freedom from danger , animosity and oppression.. seems good. But does it work?
merit for future lives? gain a share? how happy are you when you dont use easy intoxicants of typ of snuff and alcohol? yea yea time will tell...

"
villkorkarma

Postby Babadhari » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:18 am

Mkoll wrote:
villkorkarma wrote:Mkoll Alright :) thank you, but I dont still not understand why I should quit. Can I do something horrible because I use snuff?

I had to get to that low of a point where I truly said to myself: "Enough is enough." Maybe you haven't gotten to that low point. Maybe you never will. I only share my experience to say: don't go there.

In the end, doing or not doing drugs is up to you.

well put Mkoll, and thanks for sharing with us

Villkorkarma, it is better not to be a slave to anything , that is what addiction is. you can learn much about yourself using the vipassana technique you learned to overcome craving.
best of luck :namaste:
kitz
Aflame with the fire of passion, the fire of aversion, the fire of delusion.
Aflame, with birth, aging & death, with sorrows, lamentations, pains, distresses, & despairs ......

Seeing thus, the disciple of the Noble One grows disenchanted. SN 35.28
Babadhari

Next

Return to General Theravāda discussion