Hand placement and posture.

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
K.Dhamma

Hand placement and posture.

Post by K.Dhamma »

So, I usually sit without a zafu. Lately I have reverted back to the zafu because I have been getting pinched nerves and my knee has been hurting from the angle. Anyways, I usually put my hands in the "hand in hand, with thumbs touching." This is not working very well when on the zafu because I feel like I either am slumped over or I have to hold my hands higher which is stressing my shoulders. I tried putting my hands on my knees and it really opened up my chest. I don't see anything wrong with doing this, but I am just curious if this is completely normal. I do prefer my hands in the "hand in hand" posture and I can't seem to find a way to make myself comfortable. Is there anything I can do?
"Remember you dont meditate to get anything, but to get rid of things. We do it, not with desire, but with letting go. If you want anything, you wont find it." - Ajahn Chah
mikenz66

Re: Hand placement and posture.

Post by mikenz66 »

If I'm understanding correctly, the problem is that the hands are too low? I get around this by puting a small cuision or a folded blanket in my lap, and placing my hands on that.

:anjali:
Mike
K.Dhamma

Post by K.Dhamma »

yes, hands are too low...(or shoulders too high ;) )
"Remember you dont meditate to get anything, but to get rid of things. We do it, not with desire, but with letting go. If you want anything, you wont find it." - Ajahn Chah
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

mikenz66 wrote:If I'm understanding correctly, the problem is that the hands are too low? I get around this by puting a small cuision or a folded blanket in my lap, and placing my hands on that.

Mike
:goodpost:

Dear K.Dhamma,

What Mike suggested will also help prevent strain in the upper back from the weight of the arms. Also, the chest and shoulders won't be drooped as far forward by the weight of the arms.

I'd imagine keeping the hands on the knees or thighs is OK too.

Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa