Buddhism and Islam

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Kalama

Re: Buddhism and Islam

Post by Kalama »

Hi all,

I thought about a possible answer in response to Dr.Naik's critical remarks and conluded with following for an address to the Muslim auditorium :

You all know the story of Genesis , in which (Adam and) Eve committed the original sin being seduced by the serpent:
' “You will not surely die. For God knows that in the day you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil". So when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, that it was pleasant to the eyes,a tree desirable to make one wise'.

This common Bible text describes desire by a beautiful picture: sensual craving and its sibling : delusion (to make one wise = i.e. ' you will be like God, knowing good and evil) , so to say birth of a self or ego.

Both sensual craving or greed and delusion are - together with hate (compare with the story of Cain, directly after banishment) the elements , which represent in Buddhism the Truth of the Origination of Suffering.
'She took of its fruit [B.T.W. tanha -upadana] and ate. She also gave to her husband with her, and he ate. Then the eyes of both of them were opened (symbol of delusion)..' God sent them forth from the garden of Eden into the world of misery' [-bhava] , in detail described by Gensis 3.16 ff .
And that is were we are and to which desire ( and delusion) lead us , cause and effect .

Religion tells us that there is an end to this misery , but although the how is different, common point of salvation is faith and by that commitment to specified action. It is faith which carries the necessary desire to undertake the hard task , no easy way to heaven.
With that in common , how can Dr. Naik speak of the contradiction in Buddha's teaching?
It is not that Buddhism replaces one evil with another , but to change what is unwholesome to wholesome desire and so wrong to right action, namely towards salvation.

In a world of conflicts , often due to misunderstandings about religious issues , we need to emphasize what is common and not to seek what separates u.
Though Buddhism doesn't acknowledge a begin of suffering , I consider the contemplation of Genesis quite useful.

Comments wellcome ,
with Metta Dieter
mettafuture

Post by mettafuture »

Kalama wrote:How would you have responded if you had the chance?
Buddhism is about removing suffering and materialistic desires. That's how I interpret the teachings. I can't recall the Buddha ever saying that we shouldn't desire anything.
suhailjan5

Post by suhailjan5 »

Dr, zakir naik say true about Buddhism, Dr, zakir naik alway says true fact and figure with reasonable debate.
Kalama

Post by Kalama »

suhailjan5 wrote:Dr, zakir naik say true about Buddhism, Dr, zakir naik alway says true fact and figure with reasonable debate.
I suppose Dr. Naik would also appreciate that his statements are considered and evaluated and not blindly believed. The Buddha went even further, asking his followers to check his teaching like a goldsmith is proving the genuity of silver and gold.
This said , I wonder whether it is too much to ask for addressing the issue in reference to my response.