Is Mara an actual entity?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
manas

Is Mara an actual entity?

Post by manas »

Is Mara an actual entity, or just a personification of the force of delusion that has clouded our minds since time immemorial, and thus has acquired a kind of momentum and energy of it's own, and wishes to preserve it's own 'life', as it were? Or both? If the first, why would any Deva want to hinder folks from getting free from the sensual realm, or free of Samsara altogether? What's in it for them?

kind regards,
manas.
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
santa100

Re: Is Mara an actual entity?

Post by santa100 »

Various definitions of Mara from a similar thread.. http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=4644
chownah

Post by chownah »

Aren't all entities just a personification of the force of delusion?
chownah
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

chownah wrote:Aren't all entities just a personification of the force of delusion?
chownah
Dear chownah,

That was very insightful. Thanks.

:anjali:
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
manas

Post by manas »

chownah wrote:Aren't all entities just a personification of the force of delusion?
chownah
I'm not sure what you mean by that, chownah. It is true that we carry around these bodies, manifestations of old kamma, due to having been deluded (to varying degrees) in the past. But to say that all entities are a personification of delusion, that's taking it a bit too far and / or not in the way I meant it. The Buddha was an entity too, remember. As are arahants, anagamis, once-returners, stream-enterers...

kind regards,
manas :anjali:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

This sutta might answer your question

http://www.vipassana.info/025-nivapa-sutta-e1.htm

"This is a comparison to explain the meaning, this is its meaning. Fodder is a synonym for the five strands of sensual pleasures. The deer feeder is a synonym for Maara the evil one. The Followers of the deer feeder is a synonym for Maara’s following. Wild animals is a synonym for recluses and brahmins."

Makes Mara sound pretty literal.
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded
Kusala

Post by Kusala »

manas wrote:Is Mara an actual entity, or just a personification of the force of delusion that has clouded our minds since time immemorial, and thus has acquired a kind of momentum and energy of it's own, and wishes to preserve it's own 'life', as it were? Or both? If the first, why would any Deva want to hinder folks from getting free from the sensual realm, or free of Samsara altogether? What's in it for them?

kind regards,
manas.
Ven. Dhammika wrote an interesting article on Mara --------> The Buddha Meets The Dark Lord http://sdhammika.blogspot.com/2009/07/b ... -lord.html
"He, the Blessed One, is indeed the Noble Lord, the Perfectly Enlightened One;
He is impeccable in conduct and understanding, the Serene One, the Knower of the Worlds;
He trains perfectly those who wish to be trained; he is Teacher of gods and men; he is Awake and Holy. "

--------------------------------------------
"The Dhamma is well-expounded by the Blessed One,
Apparent here and now, timeless, encouraging investigation,
Leading to liberation, to be experienced individually by the wise. "