the great vegetarian debate

Where members are free to take ideas from the Theravāda Canon out of the Theravāda framework. Here you can question rebirth, kamma (and other contentious issues) as well as examine Theravāda's connection to other paths
User avatar
greenjuice
Posts: 126
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:56 pm

Re: the great vegetarian debate

Postby greenjuice » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:13 pm

Afaik, it is the unsaturated (plant) fats that body uses to rebuild cell membranes, whereas saturated fats are used for energy (or stored for such later use if there are enough carbs ingested).

Also, "essential" means precisely that- the body can'make it so it an essential part of diet, goes for both fatty and amino acids.

User avatar
nekete
Posts: 127
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:01 am

Re: the great vegetarian debate

Postby nekete » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:11 am

Anyone wanting to go on vegetarianism should read a little about the amount of calories he/she needs and how to divide it into carbohydrates, proteins, vitamins and minerals.

Be a vegetarian is not only to stop eating meat. You have to balance your diet without that meal/fish.

There are a lot of people who do a lot of sport, sport of competition like athleticism, like body building, like marathons and they are vegetarian and even vegan. All of this is very easy to find in a simple search on Internet.

User avatar
Alex123
Posts: 3469
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:32 pm

Re: the great vegetarian debate

Postby Alex123 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:53 am

What I'd like to say is to do what works for you. If vegetarianism does, then follow it. However, I don't think that it is right to force it on everywhere.
"Life is a struggle. Life will throw curveballs at you, it will humble you, it will attempt to break you down. And just when you think things are starting to look up, life will smack you back down with ruthless indifference..."

binocular
Posts: 1351
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:13 pm

Re: the great vegetarian debate

Postby binocular » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:18 pm

Alex123 wrote:What I'd like to say is to do what works for you. If vegetarianism does, then follow it. However, I don't think that it is right to force it on everywhere.

Who is forcing it?
And why should that person be obeyed?

User avatar
lyndon taylor
Posts: 1244
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 11:41 pm
Location: Redlands, Southern California, USA
Contact:

Re: the great vegetarian debate

Postby lyndon taylor » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:32 pm

I think its just Alex's conscience talking!!
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community that has so generously given me so much, sincerely former monk John

User avatar
clw_uk
Posts: 4537
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:36 am
Location: Wales, United Kingdom

Re: the great vegetarian debate

Postby clw_uk » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:08 am

The Buddha ate meat

Life feeds of life

Buddha didn't enforce vegetarianism

Puzzle solved :woohoo:
The dogmatists have claimed to have found the truth, others say that it cannot be apprehended; the Sceptics continue the search.
Sextus Empiricus

User avatar
lyndon taylor
Posts: 1244
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 11:41 pm
Location: Redlands, Southern California, USA
Contact:

Re: the great vegetarian debate

Postby lyndon taylor » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:20 am

clw_uk wrote:The Buddha ate meat

Life feeds of life

Buddha didn't enforce vegetarianism

Puzzle solved :woohoo:


Seemingly true, but at the same time the Buddha made strict rules that made it much harder to eat meat and eat a lot of meat, so obviously the buddha was absolutely not encouraging meat eating, otherwise he would have made no rules at all, since he made it much harder to acquire and eat as much meat, one has to assume that the buddha obviously believed it was better to eat less or no meat, for instance I can't possibly imagine the buddha complaining he wasn't getting enough meat, given that 95% of the buddha's recorded meal were evidently vegetarian, would that pro meat eating crowd could be so enlightened.
Last edited by lyndon taylor on Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community that has so generously given me so much, sincerely former monk John

User avatar
lyndon taylor
Posts: 1244
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 11:41 pm
Location: Redlands, Southern California, USA
Contact:

Re: the great vegetarian debate

Postby lyndon taylor » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:21 am

duplicate
Last edited by lyndon taylor on Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community that has so generously given me so much, sincerely former monk John

User avatar
clw_uk
Posts: 4537
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:36 am
Location: Wales, United Kingdom

Re: the great vegetarian debate

Postby clw_uk » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:22 am

Seemingly true, but at the same time the Buddha made strict rules that made it much harder to eat meat and eat a lot of meat, so obviously the buddha was absolutely not encouraging meat eating, otherwise he would have made no rules at all, since he made it much harder to acquire and eat as much meat, one has to assume that the buddha obviously believed it was better to eat less or no meat, for instance I can't possibly imagine the buddha complaining he wasn't getting enough meat, would that pro meat eating crowd could be so enlightened.



Of course, the point is not killing and also not holding a deluded view that abstention from meat leads to nibbana
The dogmatists have claimed to have found the truth, others say that it cannot be apprehended; the Sceptics continue the search.
Sextus Empiricus

User avatar
Spiny Norman
Posts: 4344
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:32 am
Location: Spam, wonderful spam

Re: the great vegetarian debate

Postby Spiny Norman » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:23 am

clw_uk wrote:....not holding a deluded view that abstention from meat leads to nibbana


:strawman:
"My religion is very simple - my religion is ice-cream."
Dairy Lama

User avatar
clw_uk
Posts: 4537
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:36 am
Location: Wales, United Kingdom

Re: the great vegetarian debate

Postby clw_uk » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:33 am

Spiny Norman wrote:
clw_uk wrote:....not holding a deluded view that abstention from meat leads to nibbana


:strawman:



Hardly
The dogmatists have claimed to have found the truth, others say that it cannot be apprehended; the Sceptics continue the search.
Sextus Empiricus

User avatar
Spiny Norman
Posts: 4344
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:32 am
Location: Spam, wonderful spam

Re: the great vegetarian debate

Postby Spiny Norman » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:34 am

clw_uk wrote:
Spiny Norman wrote:
clw_uk wrote:....not holding a deluded view that abstention from meat leads to nibbana


:strawman:



Hardly


I can't recall anyone arguing that abstention from meat leads to nibbana.
"My religion is very simple - my religion is ice-cream."
Dairy Lama

User avatar
clw_uk
Posts: 4537
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:36 am
Location: Wales, United Kingdom

Re: the great vegetarian debate

Postby clw_uk » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:46 am


I can't recall anyone arguing that abstention from meat leads to nibbana.


It's implied by some posts
The dogmatists have claimed to have found the truth, others say that it cannot be apprehended; the Sceptics continue the search.
Sextus Empiricus

User avatar
nekete
Posts: 127
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:01 am

Re: the great vegetarian debate

Postby nekete » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:17 pm

clw_uk wrote:
Seemingly true, but at the same time the Buddha made strict rules that made it much harder to eat meat and eat a lot of meat, so obviously the buddha was absolutely not encouraging meat eating, otherwise he would have made no rules at all, since he made it much harder to acquire and eat as much meat, one has to assume that the buddha obviously believed it was better to eat less or no meat, for instance I can't possibly imagine the buddha complaining he wasn't getting enough meat, would that pro meat eating crowd could be so enlightened.



Of course, the point is not killing and also not holding a deluded view that abstention from meat leads to nibbana


wow, really? is it true? the point is not killing? So the animals who are on the dishes are served alive?

User avatar
Spiny Norman
Posts: 4344
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:32 am
Location: Spam, wonderful spam

Re: the great vegetarian debate

Postby Spiny Norman » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:45 pm

clw_uk wrote:

I can't recall anyone arguing that abstention from meat leads to nibbana.


It's implied by some posts


It's hard to say what's implied. How about focussing on Theravada teachings and practices which seem to be relevant to the issue? For example the first precept, modern application of the 3-fold rule, butchery as wrong livelihood, developing metta for all beings, etc.
"My religion is very simple - my religion is ice-cream."
Dairy Lama

User avatar
Spiny Norman
Posts: 4344
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:32 am
Location: Spam, wonderful spam

Re: the great vegetarian debate

Postby Spiny Norman » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:48 pm

nekete wrote:wow, really? is it true? the point is not killing? So the animals who are on the dishes are served alive?


I'd feel like a hypocrite if I bought meat. I'm a Buddhist so I'm not going to kill animals or butcher them, but I'd be expecting somebody else to do it - it doesn't feel right to me.
"My religion is very simple - my religion is ice-cream."
Dairy Lama

User avatar
Alex123
Posts: 3469
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:32 pm

Re: the great vegetarian debate

Postby Alex123 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:07 pm

Spiny Norman wrote:
nekete wrote:wow, really? is it true? the point is not killing? So the animals who are on the dishes are served alive?


I'd feel like a hypocrite if I bought meat. I'm a Buddhist so I'm not going to kill animals or butcher them, but I'd be expecting somebody else to do it - it doesn't feel right to me.


But aren't many or most herbivores going to be eaten by some predators anyway? It is their fate, and it sucks. :weep: Samsara is dukkha.
"Life is a struggle. Life will throw curveballs at you, it will humble you, it will attempt to break you down. And just when you think things are starting to look up, life will smack you back down with ruthless indifference..."

User avatar
clw_uk
Posts: 4537
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:36 am
Location: Wales, United Kingdom

Re: the great vegetarian debate

Postby clw_uk » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:14 pm

wow, really? is it true? the point is not killing? So the animals who are on the dishes are served alive?



Ideally no one should kill, however if someone had invited you for a meal and offers you left over meat then there is no harm in eating it, since it was going in the bin anyway. In fact to reject it because of the "idealism" of being a vegetarian would be more unskilful than eating the meat, since it would be clinging to rites and rituals. You would be acting out of aversion and delusion


Hence why the Buddha ate meat and allowed his monks to do so, but forbade them from killing or having animals killed for them.
The dogmatists have claimed to have found the truth, others say that it cannot be apprehended; the Sceptics continue the search.
Sextus Empiricus

User avatar
clw_uk
Posts: 4537
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:36 am
Location: Wales, United Kingdom

Re: the great vegetarian debate

Postby clw_uk » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:17 pm

Of course a easy way out of all this is for humans to develop lab grown meat


No animals killed and all the nutrition, everyone's happy
The dogmatists have claimed to have found the truth, others say that it cannot be apprehended; the Sceptics continue the search.
Sextus Empiricus

User avatar
Alex123
Posts: 3469
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:32 pm

Re: the great vegetarian debate

Postby Alex123 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:25 pm

clw_uk wrote:Ideally no one should kill, however if someone had invited you for a meal and offers you left over meat then there is no harm in eating it, since it was going in the bin anyway. In fact to reject it because of the "idealism" of being a vegetarian would be more unskilful than eating the meat, since it would be clinging to rites and rituals. You would be acting out of aversion and delusion .


There are people who are starving and would love to eat anything, and yet some modern and affluent people can just throw away food because they are morally against it. Terrible waste!

I've probably been raised not in a rich environment because I've heard phrases such as "Finish your plate! Kids are starving in Africa". Sometimes some people can't be too picky about food or throw it away.
"Life is a struggle. Life will throw curveballs at you, it will humble you, it will attempt to break you down. And just when you think things are starting to look up, life will smack you back down with ruthless indifference..."


Return to “Fringe Theravāda Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 39 guests

Google Saffron, Theravada Search Engine