Is snuff an intoxicant?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
villkorkarma

Re: Is snuff an intoxicant?

Post by villkorkarma »

I ve stoped with snuff now. :bow:
one suffer because one hasnt existed long : )
Babadhari

Post by Babadhari »

hi villkorkarma

good luck. watch the cravings pass . ive been off cigarettes for a month now, it gets easier each day
Aflame with the fire of passion, the fire of aversion, the fire of delusion.
Aflame, with birth, aging & death, with sorrows, lamentations, pains, distresses, & despairs ......

Seeing thus, the disciple of the Noble One grows disenchanted. SN 35.28
villkorkarma

Post by villkorkarma »

Do you know its gets easier and easier?
Babadhari

Post by Babadhari »

from my experience it does indeed. its not my first time giving up but i do intend it to be my last.
Aflame, with birth, aging & death, with sorrows, lamentations, pains, distresses, & despairs ......

villkorkarma

Post by villkorkarma »

Have you readed that Buddha said that you get freedom from danger by giving up cigaretts? you dont get paranoid thoughts if you quit.
Babadhari

Post by Babadhari »

ive never read anything about cigarettes specifically, but ive read a lot aboutt the benifits of being free from craving and desire by the Buddha.

nothing ever induced constant craving and desire on a daily basis like nicotine did. i didnt smoke cigareetes for 4 years, only joints of tobacco and cannabis to the point where my mind was consumed by paranoid thoughts.

i finished with cannabis four months ago and gave up cigarettes at the beginning of december. i had some anxiousness and restlessness in the beginning but i meditated, exercised and ate healthy nutritous food. it became easier to forget about smoking and now it is in my past.

villkorkarma

Post by villkorkarma »

From my experience it is like this: its get easier and easier and I feel: Soon I can get up snuff totally, because its getting much easier from moment to moment.
villkorkarma

Post by villkorkarma »

glad to here i ve got the same experience from cannabis but i quit with that 6 years ago or 5 years and 9 months ago to be extactly. snuff started i with 3 years ago and it has become more and more until now and so have it been, but i dont feel the same craving anymore. :woohoo:
villkorkarma

Post by villkorkarma »

Alcohol: It is said to be Heavy karma in a sort of way because it is a unskilled action.My experience it is like that. just one zip and I felt so bad oversensetive 2 Days after. S N Goenka said that drinking alcohol is a breaking of morality, sila. Its not the first time i feel like that after I have been drinking alcohol.
Last edited by villkorkarma on Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Babadhari

Post by Babadhari »

i seem to be overly sensitive to the effects of alcohol too. i would find myself getting aggressive easier, speaking badly , becoming consumed with feelings of lust, and gave me a desire to take sstimulant drugs. i had the feeling of being poisoned the following day.

i dont drink anymore and my social life has suffered but it is good to learn to function as a balanced human with out needing any substance

taking the five precepts has given me thee chance to improve my quality of life.

villkorkarma

Post by villkorkarma »

okey :anjali:
purple planet

Post by purple planet »

what are tips you guys can give to make it easier to stop using snuff ? the more tips ect the better

i will give my ideas - tell me if they sound good : avoiding buying the snuff in the first place - and maybe donating that money

how to approach the stopping of use of snuff ? what are some good ways to do it ? how not to get despaired when we fail ?
villkorkarma

Post by villkorkarma »

the important thing here is why should we stop? and if we hear the holy spirit talk to us and said we not should do it? what sounds that voice like?
purple planet

Post by purple planet »

I didnt hear any spirit talk to me - never

i just think its bad for the health and addictive - and this are very good reasons not to use it

no need to try things to know they are bad things - no need to take drugs to know that people act worse when they take drugs - they steal - get mental problems - they get health problems and become very sick
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello Purple Planet, villkorkarma, all,

Maybe some tips from here?:

Smokeless Tobacco: A guide for Quitting :weep:
http://www.nidcr.nih.gov/OralHealth/Top ... itting.htm

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---