Buddhists are losers?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
robertk

Buddhists are losers?

Post by robertk »

I saw this on another thread.

For all practical intents and purposes, being a Buddhist means that one will quite likely be a loser in worldly terms. Not necessarily a doormat, but quite likely a loser.
There is a real, visible, measurable worldly price that one has to be willing to pay for practicing Buddhism.
Perhaps we can examine this idea on this thread.
Mkoll

Re: Buddhists are losers?

Post by Mkoll »

Dear robertk,

To even begin this kind of debate, one needs to strictly define the term "loser". It has different meanings for different people.

:anjali:
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
robertk

Post by robertk »

The texts do include poor followers, sometimes ugly, shortlived and various flotsam of the society of the time.
But from my reading the followers who are rich, successful and powerful; even Kings and Queens , are more numerous.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

The traditional use of the term "loser" is for someone not successful at anything, not ambitious. This doesn't fit with Buddhism, imo.

There is the wholesome desire of chanda, also the Buddha's resolve:

"Though my skin, my nerves and my bones shall waste away and my life blood go dry, I will not leave this seat until I have attained the highest wisdom, called supreme enlightenment, that leads to everlasting happiness." (Majjhima Nikaya 70)

The wholesome desire for enlightenment: Bhahmana Sutta
manas

Post by manas »

Of course Buddhists are losers. First, we lose clinging to self-views, then clinging to sceptical doubt, then clinging to rules & rituals...eventually, we even lose craving; and then aging & death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair are all lost.

Playing on words aside, I think it is a purely subjective term. Some ignorant folks would regards monks as 'losers' whereas, we see their lifestyle as most admirable and worthwhile. And we might regard ourselves as being reasonably well-off and successful, but a extremely wealthy person might regard us as 'losers' because we don't live in a mansion in an exclusive gated community, drive the best and latest car, own a holiday home in the South of France...(or whatever else it is the elites in society get up to).

:anjali:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

In Asia this wouldn't necessarily be true, someone would likely be a Buddhist because ones parents were.

Converts to any religion I think are likely to have gone through a stage of disillusionment or having failed or felt a "loser", this is needed to motivate someone to look for a solution to their problems. So in the west in terms of western ideals of success a convert to Buddhism will likely have been at some stage what might be considered a loser.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Renouncers.
Anagarika

Post by Anagarika »

I found this article, below. I note that of the qualities of being a loser, the Dhamma is antithetical / an antidote to each of them. How, then, could one as a committed practitioner on the Path, ever be a loser?

" Qualities of a loser (from 10 Traits of Losers: Are you One? Written on 8/07/2008 by Alex Shalman, creator of the Practical Personal Development blog.) http://www.dumblittleman.com/2008/08/10 ... u-one.html

Inhibited integrity

Unnecessary gossip and slander

Chronic pessimism

Pass an injured man

No ambitions

Mean and hateful .

Don't believe in or respect yourself

Quit before you sweat

Closed mindedness

Take no responsibility

If you tread through life being self-centered, egotistical, and not give a damn about anyone else you're a loser. Being a loser isn't about how you view yourself, or what wonderful things you can do for yourself, rather it's your unwillingness to contribute back to your fellow man. "
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

This winner vs loser is really an american thing. I don't recal hearing a similar concept in any other country. Life is not a game that you win or lose. Even more ridiculous is the notion that some people in life are winners (meaning they have the nature of winning in their blood) or losers (meaning that they have the nature of losing in their DNA).

But if you go by that standard, since it's intimately connected with the so called american dream, yes, buddhists are losers. Our motivation in life is not to accumulate money, collect women _ as if they were baseball cards _ or climb the ladder of power. In that sense of the word, I am a proud loser.
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I think Buddhist are the seekers of the highest happiness.
A child will give up with playing toy cars when he become an adult. He will drive a real car. Only a child will say that an adult is a looser.

Buddha did not deny the happiness of the material enjoyment but said that we can achieve higher happiness.

See four kind of happiness by Aya Khema:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zAQU8MEHnM
:)
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
barcsimalsi

Post by barcsimalsi »

Buddhism does not teach about winners and losers, it teaches about what is wise and what is ignorant.
robertk

Post by robertk »

Goofaholix wrote:In Asia this wouldn't necessarily be true, someone would likely be a Buddhist because ones parents were.

Converts to any religion I think are likely to have gone through a stage of disillusionment or having failed or felt a "loser", this is needed to motivate someone to look for a solution to their problems. So in the west in terms of western ideals of success a convert to Buddhism will likely have been at some stage what might be considered a loser.
The OP comment I quoted talked about worldly success.
The Buddhists I know are in many cases more successful(from the worldly view) than most of my non- Buddhist friends. I know a chief justice, an ambassador , two generals and a vice admiral, (plus lawyers, professors, and other riffraff). I do have one non Buddhist friend who is wealthy businessman. Naturally some of my Buddhist friends are not (yet) established in careers, and it doesn't really matter in the long run whether one is rich or poor, beautiful or ugly: but it struck me as odd that Buddhists would be perceived as "worldly losers".
It should be obvious that if wisdom is developing then it understands about all aspects of life: so it must be that careers become easier to manage. Calm and confidence, the side effects of even a little understanding , attract women/men etc. It is just the way things work.

Not to mention kamma: like the flower seller who gave flowers to the Buddha and that very day became a Queen. Sure becoming a Queen is rather trivial compared to starting to appreciate Dhamma, but no one can stop these worldly effects occurring can they?
binocular

Post by binocular »

robertk wrote:The Buddhists I know are in many cases more successful(from the worldly view) than most of my non- Buddhist friends. I know a chief justice, an ambassador , two generals and a vice admiral, (plus lawyers, professors, and other riffraff).
How serious are they about Buddhism?
Have they been born into Buddhist families, or have they first come in contact with Buddhism as adults?

Are they this kind of Buddhists - http://sourcesofinsight.com/buddha-quotes/ ?

robertk wrote: but it struck me as odd that Buddhists would be perceived as "worldly losers".
Of course. Not being aggressive, not being willing to lie and gossip, not manipulating others, refusing to engage in murky business schemes (and many if not most lines of work nowadays include less or more ethically questionable practices), not having much interest in worldly matters - that's a recipe for being a loser in worldly terms.

Look up pretty much any business book on power and success, and it talks about how to induce oneself and others to greater passion, aversion and delusion. Of course, they don't call things that way, they talk about "happiness," "fulfillment," "success" and the like.

Just try succeeding in the world without having much worldly ambition!
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
binocular

Post by binocular »

When someone asks me what's my favorite book, and I say the Pali Canon - what kind of response do you think I get, huh?
There are even many people who consider themselves Buddhists, and they roll their eyes or otherwise make it clear that they disapprove of my choice.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

binocular wrote:When someone asks me what's my favorite book, and I say the Pali Canon - what kind of response do you think I get, huh?
There are even many people who consider themselves Buddhists, and they roll their eyes or otherwise make it clear that they disapprove of my choice.
:jumping:

That's very funny. :smile:

I assume they roll their eyes because they imediatly associate that with catholics who take the bible as the unquestionable word of god. And the knee jerk reaction is to condemn that.

I had a bit of the same reaction, actualy. Maybe that's why I found it funny. But it's not reasonable for a buddhist to roll eyes when another buddhist says that the word of the Buddha constitutes the most important thing ever recorded. It's actualy the most common sense answer you can give to that question.
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta