Long stay for foreign Monk in thailland and neighboring coun

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Gabriel

Long stay for foreign Monk in thailland and neighboring coun

Post by Gabriel »

Hello every one! I seen in Thailand, foreign monk who seems to be in the country since many years, some even decades. So I was wondering if it is a exemption or if it is fairly easy to stay there for a long time as a monk? do they still fill up visa extension forms or if at some point they just disappear into the nature?
Also, I was wondering the same about neighboring country's like Burma in Sry lanka.
thank you in advance :anjali:
Metta
Goofaholix

Re: Long stay for foreign Monk in thailland and neighboring

Post by Goofaholix »

It may have changed since but about 10 years ago once an newly ordained monk received his monk papers he could get a 1 year visa and would be expected to report to immigration every 3 months to prove he was still a monk.

Before that it was much easier, but men had been ordaining to get a long visa then disrobing and continuing to use the visa, so monks who have been in Thailand longer than that probably have better conditions.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Thank you brother :)
Metta
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

There's plenty of information about this topic in old threads in this particular forum...check them out...