Need suggestions

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
VictoryInTruth

Need suggestions

Post by VictoryInTruth »

Dear DW forum members... I need your advice in how to set up a shrine in a way that only I will know the significance of each item in the shrine. You see, I live with my cousin and her family. They are non-denominational bible Christians and don't want me to have any images or statues in their house. I had Catholic statues that were my deceased mother's set up in the room I am staying in and my cousin told me that she was not comfortable with them and to put them away.

Do you have any suggestions in how I can set up a Buddhist shrine in my room with items only I will know the significance of. For example, I was thinking of getting Buddha's footprint or an image of a Bodhi tree set up in my shrine but am stumped at what else I can put in my shrine that won't set off my cousin's alarms in that I am bringing things that are evil into her home.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

:anjali:
daverupa

Re: Need suggestions

Post by daverupa »

Why not go the shrine room route ca. 450 BCE? That means you either meditate, or are practicing mindfulness, or are trying to keep the precepts, and so forth. This "embodied shrine" can be very efficacious, and also quite subtle, in cases of familial roommate static.

Otherwise, in lieu of memorization, Dhamma books on a small bookshelf can also serve as a shrine and offered respect the way they likely treat their Bibles. Handmade or purchased bookcovers can be used if the cover imagery is problematic.

Multivalent symbolism is your friend here, e.g. a Jesus Necklace of some kind (not a rosary, sounds like you've got some Protestants afoot), though instead of a cross you can obtain a symbol for water (rivers, stream-winners, but also baptism) or fire (passions to put to rest, also the holy spirit) or the international peace symbol, for example.

Drape that necklace on a statue of a seated Jesus figure in meditation, and due to the long hair it can stand for an early bhikkhu on a long retreat.

And so on.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Dear VictoryInTruth,

From your situation, it sounds like it would be best to follow Dave's first piece of advice.

You could also just visualize an image of the Buddha or Triple Gem in whatever form suits you when you pay homage.

Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
befriend

Post by befriend »

its common to have a vase of flowers, incense, and a candle. I think the flowers represent the beautification of a virtuous person, the incense is a metaphor for single focus contentration, and the candle flame is a metaphor for the light of wisdom.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
VictoryInTruth

Post by VictoryInTruth »

Thank you all for your responses. :anjali: Its hard when you live with family that are very strict in their beliefs....but I have to respect that this is not my home and I can't go around doing whatever I want.

I have decided that on the small table I will use for my meditation shrine I will just put flowers, incense and candles. There is on Amazon a battery powered lotus flower that glows with different colors I will be buying too for the shrine.

Again, thanks for all the suggestions.
Justsit

Post by Justsit »

You could find a portable Buddhist shrine, popular in other countries. Maybe try eBay? Open and close the doors as needed.

VictoryInTruth

Post by VictoryInTruth »

Justsit wrote:You could find a portable Buddhist shrine, popular in other countries. Maybe try eBay? Open and close the doors as needed.

I was thinking about getting a portable shrine and have already looked on Ebay but then I changed my mind because if my family sees something new in my room they are going to ask questions about it. This has already happened before... I had a blue pouch with stars and half moon designs on it that I use to keep my beads in and when my cousin saw it on the table in my room she wanted to know what was inside and I showed her that it just contained rosary beads.

If I were to buy a portable shrine I will then have no choice but to tell them what it is should they ask about it and they are not going to be happy seeing that I have a shrine of a different religion than theirs in their home. I have to respect that it is not my home and that they have the right to set the rules in their home.

I thank you nonetheless for the suggestion. :anjali:
sattva

Post by sattva »

Hi ViT :hello:

I have been in a similar situation in my life and I have also been fortunate enough to have altars in several rooms in my last home. Here I have altars in my bedroom as I live with Christians. Should be moving though in the near future and look forward to doing a Buddhist and nature themed Christmas tree next year.

Besides a Bodhi tree. a Bodhi leaf might be a great idea. You could get a picture of one or if you have an artistic flare, try drawing one yourself and framing it. Another idea is a lotus flower.

This one might be more expensive than you care to pay:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CEFG47C/ref ... B00CEFG47C

Others here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007ZUGPSY/ref ... B007ZUGPSY

Whatever you decide, good luck with the outcome!
http://www.chatzy.com/25904628501622
VictoryInTruth

Post by VictoryInTruth »

sattva wrote:Hi ViT :hello:

I have been in a similar situation in my life and I have also been fortunate enough to have altars in several rooms in my last home. Here I have altars in my bedroom as I live with Christians. Should be moving though in the near future and look forward to doing a Buddhist and nature themed Christmas tree next year.

Besides a Bodhi tree. a Bodhi leaf might be a great idea. You could get a picture of one or if you have an artistic flare, try drawing one yourself and framing it. Another idea is a lotus flower.

This one might be more expensive than you care to pay:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CEFG47C/ref ... B00CEFG47C

Others here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007ZUGPSY/ref ... B007ZUGPSY

Whatever you decide, good luck with the outcome!
Thank you for your suggestions and giving me some background when you lived with Christians. The first lotus flower is way too big but the second lotus flower link is perfect for me. :smile:

Does anyone know how to spell the word Truth or Enlightenment in Pali? I'd like to write it out and frame it for my shrine. Thanks in advance.