the great rebirth debate

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Ceisiwr

Re: the great rebirth debate

Post by Ceisiwr »

tiltbillings wrote:
clw_uk wrote:Page 6, four pages down

Some gems from me on page 5 as well at the bottom
Okay, this is from your very early period before you went all Buddhadasa (or at least as your and your cohorts interpreted him) on this forum, where no evidence could, in anyway, count against your position. Interestingly, you now have reverted back to your early position.

No I'm somewhere else :lol: :alien:
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

clw_uk wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:
clw_uk wrote:Page 6, four pages down

Some gems from me on page 5 as well at the bottom
Okay, this is from your very early period before you went all Buddhadasa (or at least as your and your cohorts interpreted him) on this forum, where no evidence could, in anyway, count against your position. Interestingly, you now have reverted back to your early position.

No I'm somewhere else :lol: :alien:
Okay; however, sadly your debate skills are still in the 20's of this thread.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

And then you denied that, spending a great deal of time denying any evidence to that showed that your denial was wrong. Goodness.

Because that wasn't the right view of the truths
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

clw_uk wrote:
And then you denied that, spending a great deal of time denying any evidence to that showed that your denial was wrong. Goodness.

When it comes to right view of the truth, I'll listen to Ven D before I would listen to you, but your "right view of the truth" was neatly shown to be wrong, repeatedly.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

tiltbillings wrote:
clw_uk wrote:

When it comes to right view of the truth, I'll listen to Ven D before I would listen to you, but your "right view of the truth" was neatly shown to be wrong, repeatedly.
Quid est veritas?

Sorry couldn't resist lol

That's fine :) but as I said, his responses are ... Old
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

clw_uk wrote:
Yes, well, Ajahn Dhammanando's postings are still worth reading, and it is interesting watching the "old" you try to wriggle your way out of what Ajahn D is clearly explaining.

http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 440#p16747

Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

tiltbillings wrote:
clw_uk wrote:
Yes, well, Ajahn Dhammanando's postings are still worth reading, and it is interesting watching the "old" you try to wriggle your way out of what Ajahn D is clearly explaining.

And a post from years ago is relevant how?
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

clw_uk wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:
clw_uk wrote:

And a post from years ago is relevant how?
So, you now hold a very different point of view? As I said, Ven Dhammanando's comments are instructive in the information they give and for that are worth reading, and it is also intertesting reading your old msgs as being instructive in how not to argue a point.

Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

The view isn't important in of itself, it's more about the action and path it leads us down
AJungianIdeal

Post by AJungianIdeal »

clw_uk wrote:
chownah wrote:
AJungianIdeal wrote:I'm trying real hard to try and make rebirth mesh with neuroscience. Does rebirth depend on a dualistic conception of the mind? If not, what gets "transferred" as it was?
DNA?
chownah

Even if it did happen, and you knew how it happened, would that liberate your mind from dukkha?
Well, I could stop being concerned for children being murdered in war zones passing into nothingness; Have some peace that they will never have another chance at consciousness and perhaps learning the dharma? Hell, even just having a chance to get through adolescences would be nifty.

But it if it feels to wishful it probably is.

As for DNA, the 1 thing I know about rebirth is that it is not familial or generational or anything like that.

To be less angry. I've been obsessing with death and I know it's not healthy.
Last edited by AJungianIdeal on Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Dear AJungianIdeal,

The Buddha actually recommended wise attention to the perception of death to remove attachment for life (AN 7.46 on accesstoinsight.org). Here's a quote from Ajahn Chah in the book Food for the Heart:
Being heedless is like being dead. Ask yourself, “Will I have time to practice when I die?” Constantly ask, “When will I die?” If we contemplate in this way, our mind will be alert every second. When there is no heedlessness, sati will atuomatically follow. Wisdom will be clear, seeing all things as they truly are. Mindfulness will guard the mind, knowing the arising of sensations at all times, day and night. That is to have sati. To have sati is to be composed. To be composed is to be heedful. If one is heedful then one is practicing rightly. This is our responsibility.
:anjali:

EDIT: added reference
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Well, I could stop being concerned for children being murdered in war zones passing into nothingness; Have some peace that they will never have another chance at consciousness and perhaps learning the dharma?
The point is not wanting things to be as they are. However you can still feel dukkha while being a materialist who believes in materialist oblivion, via not wanting the children to experience horrible death.

The point is to let go in every circumstance, as well as let go of every viewpoint. Therefore it doesnt matter if you know the ontological reality, its more about ow certain views influence people.

As for DNA, the 1 thing I know about rebirth is that it is not familial or generational or anything like that.
How do you "know" that?

To be less angry. I've been obsessing with death and I know it's not healthy.
Depends ... keeping anicca in mind is wholesome
kirk5a

Post by kirk5a »

clw_uk wrote:The view isn't important in of itself, it's more about the action and path it leads us down
... which demonstrates the importance of the view.

What you are saying is like saying "a red light isn't important in and of itself, it's more about whether you actually stop at the intersection." True only if one assumes that one will act properly regardless of the sign. But that is simply not the case. Why would you stop if don't see the light? You'd assume there is no danger and keep on going, in all likelihood.
"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

... which demonstrates the importance of the view.
Its helpful but not always important

What you are saying is like saying "a red light isn't important in and of itself, it's more about whether you actually stop at the intersection." True only if one assumes that one will act properly regardless of the sign. But that is simply not the case. Why would you stop if don't see the light? You'd assume there is no danger and keep on going, in all likelihood.

Not exactly, although I see where your coming from

You can see the sign, and know it means danger and stop

You can see the sign, ignore it and be harmed

You can see the sign, misinterpret it and be harmed

You can not see the sign at all

However some people can not see the sign, and still skip danger ;)

OR some people can ignore the sign, and skip danger ;)
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

So, you now hold a very different point of view? As I said, Ven Dhammanando's comments are instructive in the information they give and for that are worth reading, and it is also intertesting reading your old msgs as being instructive in how not to argue a point.

Really? :roll:

This whole post seems to show that you have not attempted, or have failed, to understand my posts