To those who have ordained or plan to ordain

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Jon. S

Re: To those who have ordained or plan to ordain

Post by Jon. S »

>What is currently holding you back from ordaining?
I am not 20 years old just yet. Also, the money towards expenses.

>How long have you been practicing Buddhism?
For about 2 years.

>How old are you (not really relevant, just curious)?

>Do you have a particular place you would like to ordain? If so, where, and why there?
I initially wanted to ordain at Bhavana Society because of the ease of residency, but after visiting Forest Dhamma Monastery in VA I'm more inclined to go there. Good teachers, good environment, and good discipline. Possibly Abhayagiri, but i need to visit around and become familiar with these places first.

>When do you hope to ordain?
Within the next 2-4 years.
I was born naked.
My beloved parents
kindly gave me a name.
When I reached twenty
I thought "a name is a chain,
I want to abandon it".
Whoever I questioned
No one answers me.
When I hear the wind in the pines
I get an answer.
Hickersonia

Post by Hickersonia »

sekha silapada wrote:What is currently holding you back from ordaining?
I have a wife and two children for whom I intend to provide. I don't "feel" like they hold me back, mind you, but they are a condition that ties me to lay life.

After that, language barriers may become the next major obstacle.
sekha silapada wrote:How long have you been practicing Buddhism?
Almost two years.
sekha silapada wrote:How old are you (not really relevant, just curious)?
I will be 32 years old in January.
sekha silapada wrote:Do you have a particular place you would like to ordain? If so, where, and why there?
I would consider any monastery associated with the Ajahn Chah lineage located in a predominantly English speaking country. I'm somewhat familiar with Bodhinyana and Metta Forest Monastery, but I have not been to either location yet (and being as Bodhinyana is many thousands of miles away from me, I won't be going there anytime soon).

I think my main consideration, aside from English being spoken regularly, is the desire to stay where I think I'd be most useful. I can relate to the problems people face in America more than I could, say, Thailand. That, and I think my children would ultimately have a very negative view of Buddhism if I left the county with no intention to return.

Please be well. :anjali:
Hickersonia
http://hickersonia.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of
throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned."
Samvega86

Post by Samvega86 »

What is currently holding you back from ordaining?
My cat (major attachment), mental health (recovering from some issues that would be a barrier to Monastic life), and lack of general readiness at this time.

How long have you been practicing Buddhism?
A year.

How old are you (not really relevant, just curious)?

Do you have a particular place you would like to ordain? If so, where, and why there?
Any of the UK monasteries within the Ajahn Chah lineage.

When do you hope to ordain?
In my 30's.
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Officially took 5 precepts and 3 refuges about 3 months ago.
Do you have a particular place you would like to ordain? If so, where, and why there?
I've only been to one monastery, Abhayagiri in Northern California. It was wonderful and I plan to go back. I plan to visit many monasteries between now and when I ordain in order to find the best fit one.
When I conclude that there is more benefit in the monastic way of life than the householder way. Certainly well before I die of old age and sickness.
Still a beginner. I've been a disciple of the Blessed One for such a short period and am inexperienced.

Moral shame. Until a few months ago, I lived a depraved life, breaking the precepts nearly every day. It would be disrespectful to the Sangha and myself to ordain when I have so many defilements bubbling up.

Lack of bodily fitness. I've spent much of my life cultivating bad posture and lack of flexibility. It will take many years of meditation, yoga, and bodywork before my body is more supple.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Bhikkhu_Jayasara

Post by Bhikkhu_Jayasara »

sekha silapada wrote:Out of curiosity, I have some questions that I hope you may take the time to answer :namaste:

To those who hope to or are planning to ordain:

The only thing holding me back is a car payment :)

I've been practicing meditation for about 10 years, buddhism about 5.

Bhavana Society with Bhante G, West Virginia, USA

It will take me nearly two years to ordain from the time I enter as a resident with intention to renounce, You are there as a resident for at least 6 months then you are a novice monk for a year before taking full ordination.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Bhikkhu Jayasāra -http://www.youtube.com/studentofthepath and https://maggasekha.org/
JacquelineR

Post by JacquelineR »

My degree (not long left now). I did try to become a monastery permanent resident at 18, but the stress affected my mother's health badly and I came back.

10 years.

Dhammasara Nuns' Monastery. There's not really a lot of choice for women, but I feel confident that I'd be able to learn good vinaya there, which is a priority for me. Being part of the Buddhist Society of Western Australia is also a plus, as I find the atmosphere vibrant, inspiring and "dhammaful". I also like the mode of practice- it is quite multicultural, drawing on Sri Lankan, Thai and Western Theravadin forest traditions, with significant Singaporean and Malaysian support. Some people might find this hard to understand- but I also appreciate that the focus is more on Dhamma than gender issues & that the community is more concerned with toppling tanha than toppling the patriarchy. It's quiet, traditional, multicultural and meditative- which is what I'm after.

I hope to become a permanent monastery resident next year; although the full process takes more time.
Bhikkhu_Jayasara

Post by Bhikkhu_Jayasara »

JacquelineR wrote:To those who hope to or are planning to ordain:
My degree (not long left now). I did try to become a monastery permanent resident at 18, but the stress affected my mother's health badly and I came back.

10 years.

Dhammasara Nuns' Monastery. There's not really a lot of choice for women, but I feel confident that I'd be able to learn good vinaya there, which is a priority for me. Being part of the Buddhist Society of Western Australia is also a plus, as I find the atmosphere vibrant, inspiring and "dhammaful". I also like the mode of practice- it is quite multicultural, drawing on Sri Lankan, Thai and Western Theravadin forest traditions, with significant Singaporean and Malaysian support. Some people might find this hard to understand- but I also appreciate that the focus is more on Dhamma than gender issues & that the community is more concerned with toppling tanha than toppling the patriarchy. It's quiet, traditional, multicultural and meditative- which is what I'm after.

I hope to become a permanent monastery resident next year; although the full process takes more time.

This thread brings joy to my heart. I love to see more bhikkhunis on this planet. Sadu sadu :-)
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Bhikkhu Jayasāra -http://www.youtube.com/studentofthepath and https://maggasekha.org/
Kasina

Post by Kasina »

sekha silapada wrote:
Out of curiosity, I have some questions that I hope you may take the time to answer :namaste:

1. Student debt. I just recently spent half a semester in college, however, I had changed my mind prior to going and wished to ordain. I got talked into going and, well, it went miserably. Mental health issues and my personal conflict of interest resulted in very poor performance and great difficulty. It wasn't until I told my parents that I was borderline suicidal there that they consented to me leaving. My practice carried me through and probably saved me doing a lot of things I'd have regretted. I'm currently working of my debt (9000$).

2. Good question. I have been practicing in the Theravada tradition for 7 months. Before that I considered myself a Zen "practitioner" for about 4 months. However, I have always been invested in matters of the spiritual since I was very young, and honestly see Buddhism (esp. Theravada) as a culmination of my search. It has given me amazing results, and a strict discipline which I had always lacked. I've been a daily meditator for 7 months, and I had been on/off meditating for a few years beforehand. I spent most of my teens fighting depression and intense anxiety, whilst experimenting with drugs. Recently, I had started using cannabis daily (morning, noon, and night) and causing a lot of trouble for myself, until one day something fell through for me and I had had enough. I threw out all of my paraphernalia and chose to take my religion seriously, and pledged to become a monk . Honestly, I had no clue what I was getting into, but over time, I became acquainted with Theravada, and kept learning more about Buddhism. It only strengthened my resolve and gave me hope.

3. I'm 19.

4. Yes. Tisarana, in Canada (south of Ottawa for my fellow Canadianites). An Ajaan Chah monastery. (http://tisarana.ca/)

5. Sadly, probably not until late 2015-early '16.

:toilet:
"This world completely lacks essence;
It trembles in all directions.
I longed to find myself a place
Unscathed — but I could not see it."

Sn 4.15 PTS: Sn 935-951 "Attadanda Sutta: Arming Oneself"

"You will be required to do wrong no matter where you go... This is the curse at work, the curse that feeds on all life..."

Wilbur Mercer in Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?