Connection to Dhamma Wheel slow

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
Spiny O'Norman

Connection to Dhamma Wheel slow

Post by Spiny O'Norman »

I find when using this site that connection ( and maintaining connection ) is slow and erratic, with the site regularly "freezing up" and not responding. I haven't had a similar problem on other PCs or other internet sites, it seems to be a problem peculiar to the Dhamma Wheel site - has anyone else experienced this, and can anything be done?
Thanks
Rick
Ben

Re: Connection to Dhamma Wheel slow

Post by Ben »

Hi Rick
Usually its fine. I suggest having a look at your own computer, network or internet connection.
Having said that, my connection is slow at the moment but that's because I've exceeded my monthly download limit.
Kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

I've noticed something similar actually but I've tended to just ignore it. I almost exclusively use dhammawheel on my phone, and sometimes when I click the bookmark I'm told the URL doesn't exist. That lasts a few tries then it's fine again. I've just always blamed my connection though, or my mobile browser software.
nomad

Post by nomad »

This may be a spreading problem. There have been several times in the last 2 or 3 days that I haven’t been able to access the site. I know it’s not computer specific because I’ve tried on several machines and had the same result. Waiting 5 or 10 minutes before trying again helps sometimes, but it’s still a pain.

~nomad
"I am because we are." -Xhosa Tribal Saying
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

Virtually every time I post a reply here it locks up...every time...while over at the 'grey' forum never... :coffee:
Ngawang Drolma.

Post by Ngawang Drolma. »

appicchato wrote:Virtually every time I post a reply here it locks up...every time...while over at the 'grey' forum never... :coffee:
I'm having that problem, and the same thing over at our sister site, Dharma Wheel.

:anjali:
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Right this second, the system seems to be performing very well... leading me to suggest it's not a database or software issue, but rather, that the hosting company is having occasional periods of sub-standard performance. We'll keep an eye on it, and if you wish to do the same, that would be good too.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Fede

Post by Fede »

Just to add, not criticise....
If I try to open two or three different threads as different new tabs, they all refuse to open and I get a 'broken link' message for each tab....

I find I have to shut the whole site down and come back in, and open each thread singly....

The posting an answer problem has also manifested for me, which is frustrating, because I rarely copy before posting (which is an answer) and it's very important that people get to read what I have to say, because it's so interesting, important, informative and instructive.

(That was a joke). :tongue:
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

Something I figured out yesterday when I couldn't connect, it seems if you take away the www. it works much better.
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

Funny how this internet works...even though the post reply locks up every time I can open as many as ten tabs here with no problem...

ps...'www' got dumped years ago...(translation: there's been no need to use it for a long time...on any website)... :coffee:
nomad

Post by nomad »

appicchato wrote:Funny how this internet works...even though the post reply locks up every time I can open as many as ten tabs here with no problem...

ps...'www' got dumped years ago...(translation: there's been no need to use it for a long time...on any website)... :coffee:
Not necessarily. It depends on how the host domain is registered as to whether it requires a www or not. Some older websites and U.S. Government sites require it or they won’t work.

~nomad

:sage:
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

nomad wrote:Not necessarily. It depends on how the host domain is registered as to whether it requires a www or not. Some older websites and U.S. Government sites require it or they won’t work.
Pleeeeese...I just typed 'usa.gov' and bingo...
nomad

Post by nomad »

appicchato wrote:
nomad wrote:Not necessarily. It depends on how the host domain is registered as to whether it requires a www or not. Some older websites and U.S. Government sites require it or they won’t work.
Pleeeeese...I just typed 'usa.gov' and bingo...
Some do and some don't, as I mentioned above. Nasa.gov, Dod.gov, Af.mil, Army.mil, House.gov to name a few. Again, it all depends on how the server administrators have registered the domain. :)

~nomad

:sage:
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

nomad wrote:Some do and some don't...
Story of my life...

Be well... :smile:
nomad

Post by nomad »