Dependent Origination

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation
User avatar
stuka
Posts: 171
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:37 am

Re: Dependent Origination

Postby stuka » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:04 am

Brahma vamso wrote:In particular you will see that Jati can only mean birth, the sort of birth which for a human occurs in a mother’s womb:


"Bhikkhus, from what do these four supports originate, rise, take birth and develop?

"These four supports originate, rise, take birth and develop from craving.

"Bhikkhus, from what does craving originate, rise, take birth and develop?

"Craving originates, rises, takes birth and develops from feelings.

"Bhikkhus, from what do feelings originate, rise, take birth and develop?

"Feelings originate, rise, take birth and develop from contact.

"Bhikkhus, from what does contact originate, rise, take birth and develop?
....
"Contact originates, rises, takes birth and develops from the sixfold sense base.

"Bhikkhus, from what does the sixfold sense base originate, rise, take birth and develop?

"The sixfold sense base originates, rises, takes birth and develops from name and form.

"Bhikkhus, from what do name and form originate, rise, take birth and develop?

"Name and form originate, rise, take birth and develop from consciousness.

"Bhikkhus, from what does consciousness originate, rise, take birth and develop?.

"Consciousness originates rises, takes birth and develops from [volitional] formations.

"Bhikkhus, from what do [volitional] formations originate, rise, take birth and develop?

"[Volitional] Formations originate, rise, take birth and develop from ignorance.




.....Whole Lotta Birthin' Goin On.... :rofl:

User avatar
Cittasanto
Posts: 5876
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:31 pm
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1
Location: Ellan Vannin
Contact:

Re: Dependent Origination

Postby Cittasanto » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:35 am

Hi Dhammanando

Dhammanando wrote:Hi Stuka,

stuka wrote:I have seen another of Brahmavamso's writings entitled "Some Notes on Paticcasamuppada" or similar.


Brahmavamso: Some Remarks on Paticcasamuppāda:
http://www.buddhamind.info/leftside/tea ... _brahm.htm

One could fill the "examples" section of the Fallacyfiles website out of this work.


Do you have an example or two?

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu


Here is the work I referred too! although from my interpretation it is just one part that differs and i disagree with and it is his interpretation of some of the suttas http://www.what-buddha-taught.net/Books ... tthana.htm
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."

Element

Re: Dependent Origination

Postby Element » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:16 am

stuka wrote: .....Whole Lotta Birthin' Goin On.... :rofl:


Friend Stuka,

I never noticed this paragraph before. Indeed, there are more births than the Royal Hospital for Women.

‘‘Cattārome, bhikkhave, āhārā bhūtānaṃ vā sattānaṃ ṭhitiyā, sambhavesīnaṃ vā anuggahāya. Katame cattāro? Kabaḷīkāro āhāro oḷāriko vā sukhumo vā, phasso dutiyo, manosañcetanā tatiyā, viññāṇaṃ catutthaṃ.

‘‘Ime ca, bhikkhave, cattāro āhārā kiṃnidānā kiṃsamudayā kiṃjātikā kiṃpabhavā?

‘‘Ime cattāro āhārā taṇhānidānā taṇhāsamudayā taṇhājātikā taṇhāpabhavā.

‘‘Taṇhā cāyaṃ, bhikkhave, kiṃnidānā kiṃsamudayā kiṃjātikā kiṃpabhavā?

‘‘Taṇhā vedanānidānā vedanāsamudayā vedanājātikā vedanāpabhavā.

‘‘Vedanā cāyaṃ, bhikkhave, kiṃnidānā kiṃsamudayā kiṃjātikā kiṃpabhavā?

‘‘Vedanā phassanidānā phassasamudayā phassajātikā phassapabhavā .

‘‘Phasso cāyaṃ, bhikkhave, kiṃnidāno kiṃsamudayo kiṃjātikā kiṃpabhavo?

‘‘Phasso saḷāyatananidāno saḷāyatanasamudayo saḷāyatanajātikā saḷāyatanapabhavo.

‘‘Saḷāyatanaṃ cidaṃ, bhikkhave, kiṃnidānaṃ kiṃsamudayaṃ kiṃjātikām kiṃpabhavaṃ?

‘‘Saḷāyatanaṃ nāmarūpanidānaṃ nāmarūpasamudayaṃ nāmarūpajātikām nāmarūpapabhavaṃ.

‘‘Nāmarūpaṃ cidaṃ, bhikkhave, kiṃnidānaṃ kiṃsamudayaṃ kiṃjātikām kiṃpabhavaṃ?

‘‘Nāmarūpaṃ viññāṇanidānaṃ viññāṇasamudayaṃ viññāṇajātikām viññāṇapabhavaṃ.

‘‘Viññāṇaṃ cidaṃ, bhikkhave, kiṃnidānaṃ kiṃsamudayaṃ kiṃjātikām kiṃpabhavaṃ?

‘‘Viññāṇaṃ saṅkhāranidānaṃ saṅkhārasamudayaṃ saṅkhārajātikām saṅkhārapabhavaṃ.

‘‘Saṅkhārā cime, bhikkhave, kiṃnidānā kiṃsamudayā kiṃjātikām kiṃpabhavā?

‘‘Saṅkhārā avijjānidānā avijjāsamudayā avijjājātikām avijjāpabhavā.

meindzai
Posts: 592
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:10 pm

Re: Dependent Origination

Postby meindzai » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:19 pm

clw_uk wrote:
meindzai wrote:The description of D.O. that appears in the suttas certainly refers to the three lifetime model, as words like "Death" and "Birth" are pretty unambiguous:



True but the buddha used to types of language, everyday language and dhamma language. Birth in dhamma language just means the birth of "I" at any moment not physical birth, the same for death means death of the "I" at any moment in dhamma language.



Nonsense. I don't know how he could be more specific in his definitions of Birth and Death. "dying, completion of time, dissolution of the aggregates, laying down of the body — this is called death." and "The birth of beings into the various orders of beings, their coming to birth, precipitation [in a womb], generation, manifestation of the aggregates, obtaining the bases for contact — this is called birth" What else could he possibly say that would make it any clearer?

Also it states that the cesstation of dependent origination involves the ending of name and form, if this meant literal name and form then the buddha would have died when he became enlightened would he not?


No, becuase not all cause and effect is immediate. Remember the simplified form of dependent coarising is:

When this is, that is. [immediate cause and effect]
From the arising of this comes the arising of that. [cause and effect over time]

And in reverse:
When this isn't, that isn't.
From the cessation of this comes the cessation of that.

So parts of dependent co-arising have effects over time as well as immediate effects.

I screencapped this from a link that retro provided in a post elsewhere. It's the clearest three lives diagram I've seen (the circular ones confuse me)

Image

The present life is shaped from the conditions from the previous life. So 3-10 are happening now, as a result of 1 and 2 from the previous lifetime. But that doesn't mean ONLY 3-10 are happening now. 1 and 2 are happening now which is conditioning future birth. 11 has already occured in thsi lifetime as well as some...varying degree of 12.

D.O. happening ONLY in this lifetime doesn't make sense becuase birth ultimately has a condition in ignorance. If there were no ignorance, you would not have been born at all - you just simply would not be here reading this. However, in order for you to have had any kind of ignorance in that prior lifetime, there had to be a previous birth, and so on. However this doesn't mean that only certain parts of D.O. are happening now and others are not.

-M

User avatar
bodom
Posts: 4661
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:18 pm
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1006
Location: San Antonio, Texas

Re: Dependent Origination

Postby bodom » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:41 pm

I think Ajahn Chah sums up this argument pretty well:

You have already studied and read about paticcasamuppada (Dependent Origination) in the books, and what's set out there is correct as far as it goes, but in reality you're not able to keep up with the process as it actually occurs. It's like falling out of a tree: in a flash, you've fallen all the way from the top of the tree and hit the ground, and you have no idea how many branches you passed on the way down. When the mind experiences an arammana [1] (mind-object) and is attracted to it, all of a sudden you find yourself experiencing a good mood without being aware of the causes and conditions which led up to it. Of course, on one level the process happens according to the theory described in the scriptures, but at the same time it goes beyond the limitations of the theory. In reality, there are no signs telling you that now it's avijja, now it's sankhara, then it's viññana, now it's nama-rupa and so on. These scholars who see it like that, don't get the chance to read out the list as the process is taking place. Although the Buddha analysed one moment of consciousness and described all the different component parts, to me it's more like falling out of a tree – everything happens so fast you don't have time to reckon how far you've fallen and where you are at any given moment. What you know is that you've hit the ground with a thud, and it hurts!

:namaste:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah

User avatar
Prasadachitta
Posts: 974
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:52 am
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1
Location: San Francisco (The Mission) Ca USA
Contact:

Re: Dependent Origination

Postby Prasadachitta » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:43 pm

Achaan Cha's explanations always touch deeply into what Intuitive knowledge cant find words for. My heart Glows at his words.

Thank you.


Gabriel

:rofl:
"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332

User avatar
clw_uk
Posts: 3621
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:36 am
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1
Location: Wales, United Kingdom

Re: Dependent Origination

Postby clw_uk » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:51 pm

[/quote] Nonsense. I don't know how he could be more specific in his definitions of Birth and Death. "dying, completion of time, dissolution of the aggregates, laying down of the body — this is called death." and "The birth of beings into the various orders of beings, their coming to birth, precipitation [in a womb], generation, manifestation of the aggregates, obtaining the bases for contact — this is called birth" What else could he possibly say that would make it any clearer?




D.O. happening ONLY in this lifetime doesn't make sense becuase birth ultimately has a condition in ignorance. If there were no ignorance, you would not have been born at all - you just simply would not be here reading this. However, in order for you to have had any kind of ignorance in that prior lifetime, there had to be a previous birth, and so on. However this doesn't mean that only certain parts of D.O. are happening now and others are not.

-M



However it is said that becoming and birth come from contact, craving and then clinging. Therefore it does show that everymoment there is contact there is feeling and if one is ignorant then it becomes craving then clining and then birth. Now we have contact all the time and if we arent mindful there will be craving all the time and so therefore continuous birth. This obviously means moment births not literal birth as there can only be one physical birth in one life but there can be multiple "I" births at everymoment that there is contact, feeling and then craving.


It does make sense when you look at how there is contact at everymoment which obviously leeds to feeling and then craving if you are ignorant which then leeds to clinging, becoming, birth ......[/quote]

Also the buddha stated that one could end all dukkha right now in this very life. If you take this and apply it to the three lives model this become untenable as you then have to state that for this to work that name and form etc would have to cease in that moment which leads you back to say that the buddha would have just died under the bodhi tree. This statement by him only works if you take D.O. as moment to moment not three lives.
:namaste:
“The Great Way is not difficult for those who have no preferences. When love and hate are both absent, everything becomes clear and undisguised." Verses on the Faith Mind, Sengcan

User avatar
Cittasanto
Posts: 5876
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:31 pm
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1
Location: Ellan Vannin
Contact:

Re: Dependent Origination

Postby Cittasanto » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:00 pm

Hi BBB
Reminds me of the buddha not knowing anything to use as a simile to describe how fast the mind changes (think I put that correctly).


bodom_bad_boy wrote:I think Ajahn Chah sums up this argument pretty well:

You have already studied and read about paticcasamuppada (Dependent Origination) in the books, and what's set out there is correct as far as it goes, but in reality you're not able to keep up with the process as it actually occurs. It's like falling out of a tree: in a flash, you've fallen all the way from the top of the tree and hit the ground, and you have no idea how many branches you passed on the way down. When the mind experiences an arammana [1] (mind-object) and is attracted to it, all of a sudden you find yourself experiencing a good mood without being aware of the causes and conditions which led up to it. Of course, on one level the process happens according to the theory described in the scriptures, but at the same time it goes beyond the limitations of the theory. In reality, there are no signs telling you that now it's avijja, now it's sankhara, then it's viññana, now it's nama-rupa and so on. These scholars who see it like that, don't get the chance to read out the list as the process is taking place. Although the Buddha analysed one moment of consciousness and described all the different component parts, to me it's more like falling out of a tree – everything happens so fast you don't have time to reckon how far you've fallen and where you are at any given moment. What you know is that you've hit the ground with a thud, and it hurts!

:namaste:
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."

Element

Re: Dependent Origination

Postby Element » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:20 pm

meindzai wrote:Nonsense. I don't know how he could be more specific in his definitions of Birth and Death. "dying, completion of time, dissolution of the aggregates, laying down of the body — this is called death." and "The birth of beings into the various orders of beings, their coming to birth, precipitation [in a womb], generation, manifestation of the aggregates, obtaining the bases for contact — this is called birth" What else could he possibly say that would make it any clearer?

Meindzai

The Buddha has advised us dependent origination is the dhamma. "He who sees the dhamma sees dependent origination". Now if we cannot find emptiness in dependent origination, it is not the dhamma.

Our goal of practise is to understand how 'self view' arises. If we are unable to discern that, we cannot end suffering and realise the four noble truths.

When we attach to life as "I" and "mine" the ordinary sense of 'birth' and 'death' arise. When we have a problem we think "why was I born?". When we are aging and dying, we think "I am dying". This is suffering.

The Buddha has clearly advised us that those who are free from self-view, who are free from "I making" and "my making", are free from birth, aging, illness, death & dukkha.

If one is encouraging Buddhists to move away from comprehending the origin & nature of attachment, self-view & dukkha, then one's intention is contrary to the Lord Buddha.

That is my sincere opinion.

When I first learned Dhamma, I was encouraged to identify the causes of suffering & suffering itself, which are connected to craving, attachment & self-view.

If we cannot identify these things in dependent origination then dependent origination is not the core dhamma the Buddha said it was.

With metta,

Element
Last edited by Element on Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
mikenz66
Posts: 10833
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:37 am
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001
Location: New Zealand

Re: Dependent Origination

Postby mikenz66 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:28 pm

Element wrote:If one is encouraging Buddhists to move away from comprehending the origin & nature attachment, self-view & dukkha, then one's intention is contrary to the Lord Buddha.
Element

Where did Meindzai encourage anyone to move away from comprehending those things?

Metta
Mike

Element

Re: Dependent Origination

Postby Element » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:36 pm

clw_uk wrote:However it is said that becoming and birth come from contact, craving and then clinging. Therefore it does show that every moment there is contact there is feeling and if one is ignorant then it becomes craving then clining and then birth. Now we have contact all the time and if we arent mindful there will be craving all the time and so therefore continuous birth. This obviously means moment births not literal birth as there can only be one physical birth in one life but there can be multiple "I" births at everymoment that there is contact, feeling and then craving.

Also the buddha stated that one could end all dukkha right now in this very life. If you take this and apply it to the three lives model this become untenable as you then have to state that for this to work that name and form etc would have to cease in that moment which leads you back to say that the buddha would have just died under the bodhi tree. This statement by him only works if you take D.O. as moment to moment not three lives.
:namaste:

Well reasoned. Indeed. If birth was physical birth, physical birth would be occuring after each ignorant contact. :goodpost:

Element

Re: Dependent Origination

Postby Element » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:47 pm

mikenz66 wrote:
Element wrote:If one is encouraging Buddhists to move away from comprehending the origin & nature attachment, self-view & dukkha, then one's intention is contrary to the Lord Buddha.
Element

Where did Meindzai encourage anyone to move away from comprehending those things?

Metta
Mike

Mike

Meindzai has stated 'birth' is physical birth and 'death&dukkha' are physical death. Others have stated birth is the birth of 'self-view' and death is the sense of loss that becomes dukkha.

Today, now, before my physical death, I have dukkha. For example, I wake up this morning and my bicycle is stolen. Plus, I must go to work and deal with all kinds of demands and difficulties. Plus, my wife is sick in hospital. I have all of these difficulties or potential objects of suffering but according to the reasoning of Meindzai, I have no method to remedy this suffering because dukkha in dependent origination relates to physical birth & death.

So to solve my problems, it appears I must kill my wife, kill my clients and co-workers and kill myself because I cannot get to work.

Dependent origination is explaining to us how dukkha arises from ignorance. The first condition is ignorance and the final result is dukkkha.

Thus, when my bicycle is stolen, how is the dukkha of that related to physical birth?

The dukkha of my bicycle is related to my possessiveness towards it. I regard that bicycle as "I" and "mine". I took birth as the owner of "my bicycle" and now because it is stolen I must experience the death of that state of being. However, if I do not regard that bicycle as "I" and "mine", I do not take birth as the owner of a bicycle. The bicycle is merely dhamma, merely elements of nature, a gift I merely borrow until its decay & death.

With metta,

Element

User avatar
mikenz66
Posts: 10833
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:37 am
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001
Location: New Zealand

Re: Dependent Origination

Postby mikenz66 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:03 pm

Element wrote:
mikenz66 wrote:
Element wrote:If one is encouraging Buddhists to move away from comprehending the origin & nature attachment, self-view & dukkha, then one's intention is contrary to the Lord Buddha.
Element

Where did Meindzai encourage anyone to move away from comprehending those things?

Metta
Mike

Mike

Meindzai has stated 'birth' is physical birth and 'death&dukkha' are physical death. Others have stated birth is the birth of 'self-view' and death is the sense of loss that becomes dukkha.
...
Element

Your logic eludes me. Causes and effects on various time scales are not mutually exclusive.

Metta
Mike

User avatar
clw_uk
Posts: 3621
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:36 am
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1
Location: Wales, United Kingdom

Re: Dependent Origination

Postby clw_uk » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:00 pm

There is a sutta that i think gives weight to the view of D.O. as moment to moment and not three lives.

MN - 44:

Saying, "Yes, lady," Visakha the lay follower delighted & rejoiced in what Dhammadinna the nun had said. Then he asked her a further question: "'The origination of self-identification, the origination of self-identification,' it is said, lady. Which origination of self-identification is described by the Blessed One?"

"The craving that makes for further becoming — accompanied by passion & delight, relishing now here & now there — i.e., craving for sensual pleasure, craving for becoming, craving for non-becoming: This, friend Visakha, is the origination of self-identification described by the Blessed One."

"'The cessation of self-identification, the cessation of self-identification,' it is said, lady. Which cessation of self-identification is described by the Blessed One?"

"The remainderless fading & cessation, renunciation, relinquishment, release, & letting go of that very craving: This, friend Visakha, is the cessation of self-identification described by the Blessed One."

"'The way of practice leading to the cessation of self-identification, the way of practice leading to the cessation of self-identification,' it is said, lady. Which way of practice leading to the cessation of self-identification is described by the Blessed One?"

"Precisely this noble eightfold path — right view, right resolve, right speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness, right concentration: This, friend Visakha, is the way of practice leading to the cessation of self-identification described by the Blessed One."

"Is it the case, lady, that clinging is the same thing as the five clinging-aggregates or is it something separate?"

"Friend Visakha, neither is clinging the same thing as the five clinging-aggregates, nor is it something separate. Whatever desire & passion there is with regard to the five clinging-aggregates, that is the clinging there."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html


This clearly states that Identitiy i.e. self/i/me comes about through craving as craving will lead to clinging which leeds to being which leeds to birth.
As craving dependens on feeling which the dependeds on contact birth must mean moment to moment birth as there is always contact with the 6 sense bases. This will lead to feeling and if there is ignorance then there will be craving, clinging, being and "birth" of a new false view of Self which is dukkha.

Hope that makes sense
:namaste:
“The Great Way is not difficult for those who have no preferences. When love and hate are both absent, everything becomes clear and undisguised." Verses on the Faith Mind, Sengcan

Element

Re: Dependent Origination

Postby Element » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:28 am

mikenz66 wrote:Your logic eludes me.


Your logic eludes me also. Buddha said dukkha occurs after death. I can have dukkha right now, today yet not die physically.

On seeing a form with the eye, he is passionate for it if it is pleasing; he is angry with it if it is displeasing. He lives with mindfulness to the body unestablished, with a limited mind, and he does not understand realistically the deliverance of mind and deliverance by wisdom wherein those evil unwholesome states cease without remainder. Engaged as he is in favouring and opposing, whatever feeling he feels - whether pleasant or painful or neither-pleasant-nor-painful - he delights in that feeling, welcomes it, and remains holding on to it. As he does so, delight (nandi) arises in him. Now, delight in feelings (vedanàsu nandi) is clinging (upàdàna). Becoming is conditioned by his clinging; becoming conditions birth; birth conditions ageing-&-death; sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief and despair come to be. Thus is the arising of this entire mass of suffering.

Element

Re: Dependent Origination

Postby Element » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:33 am

clw_uk wrote:There is a sutta that i think gives weight to the view of D.O. as moment to moment and not three lives.

MN - 44:

Saying, "Yes, lady," Visakha the lay follower delighted & rejoiced in what Dhammadinna the nun had said. Then he asked her a further question: "'The origination of self-identification, the origination of self-identification,' it is said, lady. Which origination of self-identification is described by the Blessed One?"

Hope that makes sense

:namaste:

Well quoted. Sadhu! The Buddha's teaching always makes perfect sense. Theravadins chant each day: "Svakato bhagavata dhammo - that Dhamma, perfectly spoken by the Blessed One". In my opinion, there is no need to add to the Buddha's dhamma.

:namaste:

User avatar
Ngawang Drolma.
Posts: 805
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:38 pm

Re: Dependent Origination

Postby Ngawang Drolma. » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:58 am

No, becuase not all cause and effect is immediate. Remember the simplified form of dependent coarising is:

When this is, that is. [immediate cause and effect]
From the arising of this comes the arising of that. [cause and effect over time]

And in reverse:
When this isn't, that isn't.
From the cessation of this comes the cessation of that.

So parts of dependent co-arising have effects over time as well as immediate effects.

I screencapped this from a link that retro provided in a post elsewhere. It's the clearest three lives diagram I've seen (the circular ones confuse me)

Image

The present life is shaped from the conditions from the previous life. So 3-10 are happening now, as a result of 1 and 2 from the previous lifetime. But that doesn't mean ONLY 3-10 are happening now. 1 and 2 are happening now which is conditioning future birth. 11 has already occured in thsi lifetime as well as some...varying degree of 12.

D.O. happening ONLY in this lifetime doesn't make sense becuase birth ultimately has a condition in ignorance. If there were no ignorance, you would not have been born at all - you just simply would not be here reading this. However, in order for you to have had any kind of ignorance in that prior lifetime, there had to be a previous birth, and so on. However this doesn't mean that only certain parts of D.O. are happening now and others are not.

-M


Many thanks for this explanation, Meindzai :namaste:

User avatar
mikenz66
Posts: 10833
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:37 am
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001
Location: New Zealand

Re: Dependent Origination

Postby mikenz66 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:03 am

Element wrote:
mikenz66 wrote:Your logic eludes me.


Your logic eludes me also. Buddha said dukkha occurs after death. I can have dukkha right now, today yet not die physically.

How does my logic elude you? I simply stated that there is no contradiction between causes and effects happening within one lifetime and causes and effects happening between lifetimes. This spelled out quite clearly in the Abhidhamma.

Metta
Mike

Element

Re: Dependent Origination

Postby Element » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:16 am

mikenz66 wrote:This spelled out quite clearly in the Abhidhamma.


Did Buddha teach Adhidhamma?

Was Buddha not fully enlightened and imperfect a teacher to require Abhidhamma? :?

User avatar
mikenz66
Posts: 10833
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:37 am
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001
Location: New Zealand

Re: Dependent Origination

Postby mikenz66 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:39 am

Element wrote:Did Buddha teach Adhidhamma?

According the the Theravada Commentaries, yes.

Metta
Mike


Return to “Open Dhamma”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bundokji, chownah, Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests

Google Saffron, Theravada Search Engine