Arahants

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
tiltbillings

Re: Arahants

Post by tiltbillings »

vishuroshan wrote: . . .
I think we all have it now that you think the monk in question is an arahant. Arguing about it really does him no justice and all that does is makes you look bad and your claim of arahant status for this monk suffers. The best you can do, for him and yourself, is simply model his good behavior without being annoying. Right now you are pushing towards being annoying.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
vishuroshan

Post by vishuroshan »

i dont hve an intention to be annoying for others. anyway,what you said iscorrect i should not argue.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

vishuroshan wrote:i dont hve an intention to be annoying for others. anyway,what you said iscorrect i should not argue.
Thank you.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
vishuroshan

Post by vishuroshan »

dear sarath, thank you for your message(other forum). listen to those dhamma discussions more than 10 times. then you will begin to understand little by little. you will not understand it at once. he was meditating in ATHDALAGALA AARANYA(Anuradapura). it inside ATHDALAGALA forest. obviously when you are practicing meditation everyday, sometimes for about 15 hours constantly(as per thero), you will automaticaly undertake all the percepts. all 10 percepts. coz SILA is the foundation. without that you cannot develop Samadhi/Pragna. its not about the rules and regulations, watching your own mind is the most important thing. when you directly watch your mind, you will undertake all the percepts. ( CHETANA is the kamma). you will eat carefully, without craving, you will sleep carefully without craving, you will talk without craving..etc. so obviously you will go beyond the basic sila. when you feel greedy you will know, when you get angry you wil know. when you are jelous you will know. look at your mind. dont cling to rules blindly.
hope you understand.
vishuroshan

Post by vishuroshan »

dont judge by external appearances, the mind is the important thing. when you speak your mind follows that speech. but an enlighted one may do or say things which his mind doesn't follow. because it adheres to DHAMMA and VINAYA. his speech may appear to be rough and careless. his actions may seem coarse. all we can see are his bodily and verbal actions. but the mind which adheres to dhamma and vinaya cant be seen. adhere to the Buddha's instructions. " DONT BE HEEDLESS, HEEDLESSNESS IS DEATH".
Ven. Ajahn Chah
suttametta

Post by suttametta »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:An Arahant would not advertise himself as an Arahant.

Perhaps a foolish puthujjana disciple of a monk, who had blind devotion might think his teacher was an Arahant, and advertise his web site with that claim. If asked to substantiate it, how could he do so? Therefore, even it were true, which I am sure it is not, to claim it would only lead to trouble, so it should not be done.

The foolish will follow foolish teachers, while the wise will seek out the wise.
Interesting. Buddha said he was an arahant, many times. I guess that means he wasn't one.
robertk

Post by robertk »

suttametta wrote:

Perhaps a foolish puthujjana disciple of a monk, who had blind devotion might think his teacher was an Arahant, and advertise his web site with that claim. If asked to substantiate it, how could he do so? Therefore, even it were true, which I am sure it is not, to claim it would only lead to trouble, so it should not be done.

The foolish will follow foolish teachers, while the wise will seek out the wise.
Interesting. Buddha said he was an arahant, many times. I guess that means he wasn't one.
This is similar to the case where the leader of another sect heard that the Buddha prohibited his monks from showing supernormal powers. So he challenged the Buddha to a display of powers (thinking the Buddha would have to drop out). Of course the Buddha did display his powers and the ascetic was so shocked, having no special powers of his own, that he jumped into a river and drowned.

It can be considered like Kings orchard where choice fruits are grown. Everyone is prohibited from taking the fruits, but the King himself is not .
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

A recollection from Ajahn Jayasaro about the words of his teacher Ajahn Chah:
I remember a rather confused layman once asked Ajahn Chah about the goal of practice. He had read so many books: books on Zen, books on Mahayana, books on Taoism, books on Don Juan. He asked Ajahn Chah: 'Should we practice to become a Bodhisattva or to become an Arahant?'

Ajahn Chah said 'Don't become anything at all. Don't become an Arahant. Don't become a Bodhisattva. The moment that you become anything at all, you'll be suffering already.'

http://www.fsnewsletter.amaravati.org/h ... ollage.htm
:anjali:
suttametta

Post by suttametta »

robertk wrote:
suttametta wrote:

This is similar to the case where the leader of another sect heard that the Buddha prohibited his monks from showing supernormal powers. So he challenged the Buddha to a display of powers (thinking the Buddha would have to drop out). Of course the Buddha did display his powers and the ascetic was so shocked, having no special powers of his own, that he jumped into a river and drowned.

It can be considered like Kings orchard where choice fruits are grown. Everyone is prohibited from taking the fruits, but the King himself is not .
So out of the 500 arahants, all would deny being arahants?
vishuroshan

Post by vishuroshan »

i'd like to tell you all one thing, if you have not attained a fruition, you cannot decide other fruitions. please be careful when you talk(FOOLISH). results of such things can be worst. Supernormal powers is a different thing.kindly note that this monk does not say that he's an arahat in his seromn. one of his lay disciples made this page and named him as an arahat. in KASHYAPA BUDDHA's time ,our bodhistava(GAUTAM BUDDHA) spkoe wrong words about KASHYAPA BUDDHA(when his friend was trying to go to meet buddha), not knowing that he was a BUDDHA. it says that he had to suffer for abut 6 years in the forest, while other buddha's attain arahatship in 7 days. we should not speak about something, if we dont know about it accurately.

ONE MORE THING, this monk had a monastery long time back (now he's staying in a house in a mountain side). one of our ministers came with more than 150 PEOPLE with weapons to destroy the monastery(we still have DEVADATTAS) coz he wanted that property it seems. but it says, that the MONK walked towards those men without any fear ,who had weapons on their hands. (will you do that if 150 people come with weapons?). the MINISTER was leadrer of that gang and he got injured(he was trying to hit the monk and his hand was wounded and started bleeding at the same time), and all the people(more than 150 people) who came to attack returned back.(dont know how it happend) nothing happend to ARAHAT VAJIRA BUDDHI and the people who were staying in the monastery. i kindly request you all to think before you speak.

with METTA
Viran
suttametta

Post by suttametta »

:twothumbsup:
AyyaSobhana wrote:A few months ago, Bhante Gunaratana advised us (bhikkhunis) to openly disclose our attainments to our colleagues in monastic life, whether meditation attainments or noble attainments. This was in connection with the last reflection of the Dasadhamma Sutta: "“Have I gained superhuman knowledge which can be specially known to noble ones, so that later when I am questioned by fellow bhikkhus I will not be embarrassed?” If Ven. Phalanyani hears about reputed arahants, she can go and question them about it.

There's no need for our practice to be veiled in mumbo-jumbo.
vishuroshan

Post by vishuroshan »

kindly note that he has not adverticed the attainment. but as lay people ,we know. coz we have closely judged him in every possible way(for a long time). i dont know about BHANTE GUNARATNE. but i know about VEN. VAJIRA BUDDHI. i just need you all to be carefull when you speak about something. i have already given the example in my previous post.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html
Babadhari

Post by Babadhari »

dear vishusoran

in my humble opinion you seem to be bordering towards obsession with this Venerable monk and his state of Arahantship and peoples remarks about his attainments.

you promote his website vigorously and make proclaiments about him. you genuinely seem to have been touched by him and that is great but until people meet him they cannot know and decide so for now i think it is best if you drop the topic for the Venerables sake if nothing else.

i mean no offence friend but this is becoming tiresome now when you begin to tell people what they can and cannot say.

:namaste:
Aflame with the fire of passion, the fire of aversion, the fire of delusion.
Aflame, with birth, aging & death, with sorrows, lamentations, pains, distresses, & despairs ......

Seeing thus, the disciple of the Noble One grows disenchanted. SN 35.28
vishuroshan

Post by vishuroshan »

@ KITZTACK,
i have taught the some DHAMMA. i dont want all the people in the world to go to him and worship him. but mentionng words like FOOLISH for a monk is not good for that person. it will become an eveil deed. thats what i need to tell you all. i didnt like you all to be part of that sin. but they can blame and do that SIN if they like. i didnt put restrictions on people's opinion. but be careful. thats all i needed to tell. its upto them. hope you understood. and yes. its my duty to give this DHAMMA to people. thats why i send this web site. its not his personal opinion. its the original BUDDHA DESHANA. if some one read it, he will understand.
Ananda26

Post by Ananda26 »

phalanyani wrote:Does anybody have information about presently living Arahants? Are there any known?

with loving kindness the curious
phalanyani
There is a presently living monk who got Arahantship.