Goenka and 'The Art of Living'

Discussion of Satipatthana bhavanā and Vipassana bhavana.

Goenka and 'The Art of Living'

Postby Myotai » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:54 am

Hi,

Just thought I'd share my initial impressions.

Never really had much to do with Goenkas style, no reason other than never really on my radar. But been listening to the audio book of The Art of Living and I am really enjoying it. Each chapter is interspersed with Goekna speaking, anecdotes and quotes from the Suttas. I really like Goenkas approach too, very pragmatic and non-mystical without losing the mystique - it that makes sense(?).

Never done the 10 day retreat nor have I ever found a step by step guide to the 'Goenka Method'.

Is there a resource where I can access more of him speaking, I think he has a lovely voice :)

Take care,

M...
Myotai

Re: Goenka and 'The Art of Living'

Postby Weakfocus » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:10 am

Myotai wrote:Is there a resource where I can access more of him speaking, I think he has a lovely voice :)

Hello Myotai. I have compiled a list for you.

But the best way to get the full Goenka ji experience is to locate a center near you and attend a 10-day course.
Weakfocus

Postby Myotai » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:40 pm

Weakfocus wrote:
Myotai wrote:Is there a resource where I can access more of him speaking, I think he has a lovely voice :)

Hello Myotai. I have compiled a list for you.

Very kind....thanks!
Myotai

Postby Monkey Mind » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:12 pm

Myotai- Weakfocus has provided a very comprehensive list of resources. Mr. Goenka absolutely believed that one could only learn vipassana within the context of a 10-day course, and anything else was doing yourself a disservice. You will not find (an official) step-by-step guide for the uninitiated.

Not long ago, Mr. Goenka released a recording that he called, "Mini Anapana meditation for all". It is a recording of a basic guided meditation, the intended audience was people who had not yet attended a 10-day course but are interested in beginning meditation. The link is here:
http://www.vridhamma.org/Mamfa
Last edited by Monkey Mind on Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
Monkey Mind

Postby Babadhari » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:32 pm

Myotai wrote:Hi,

Is there a resource where I can access more of him speaking, I think he has a lovely voice :)

Take care,

M...

http://www.dhamma.org/en/worldmap.htm

your best resource where you can hear him speak is by attending one of the retreats at a centre on the link provided.

if you have ever had a two-week holiday for yourself and plan to again i recommend a 10 day retreat highly since you connect to his teachings and have a pleasant inclination to his voice.

by listening to talks you will not however understand the technique, the experience in the correct enviroment is most important to become established.

he was a fantastic teacher with many grateful students worldwide, with many on this site alone

:namaste:
Aflame with the fire of passion, the fire of aversion, the fire of delusion.
Aflame, with birth, aging & death, with sorrows, lamentations, pains, distresses, & despairs ......

Seeing thus, the disciple of the Noble One grows disenchanted. SN 35.28
Babadhari

Postby SarathW » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:42 pm

Hi Myotai
I have read the Book "Art of living".
I like that book so much I read it twice in two weeks.

Weakfocus:

Thanks for the link. I watch Utube video “Vipassana Day 1”
It was great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ii9vjW9BwU
SarathW

Return to Insight Meditation