Which sport do you practice?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
zamotcr

Which sport do you practice?

Post by zamotcr »

Hello,

I practice Martial Arts (Tang Soo Do) basically for fitness, concentration (it's a meditation for me) and who knows, eventually I could defend myself.
I like it, for me is not violent, I enjoy it, and everybody in the Dojang enjoy it too. Unwholesome? According to who? :rofl:

Which sport do you practice? Does your sport help you with your meditation practice?

:namaste:
SarathW

Re: Which sport do you practice?

Post by SarathW »

I have a thread in this subject. :)

Has Tiger wood attain Jhana:

http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=16371
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Babadhari

Post by Babadhari »

hi zamotcr
one of my main hobbies is mountain biking.

it's a good excuse to visit new places and get outdoors. i enjoy climbing to a summit and taking in the view of the landscape and perhaps do a bit of meditation before i begin the descent.

the biggest thrill is the adrenalin rush of the close calls and near misses.

i've found just remaining aware of the leg pain while cycling helps me remain equanimous to the leg pain felt in meditation while the concentration gathered in meditation allows me to be more focused and responsive to unexpected things on trails like rocks and tree roots
Aflame with the fire of passion, the fire of aversion, the fire of delusion.
Aflame, with birth, aging & death, with sorrows, lamentations, pains, distresses, & despairs ......

Seeing thus, the disciple of the Noble One grows disenchanted. SN 35.28
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

> Which sport do you practice?

Bikram Yoga - 90 minute hatha-yoga classes in a 40'C room.

I started the classes last in February last year and did 130+ classes throughout 2013. January has been a bit slow so far Bikram-wise (due mainly to holidays and parenting commitments) but my girlfriend and I are doing a 30-day challenge starting February 1st, where we do 30 classes over 30 days. It's a bit of a logistical challenge for me (due mainly to parenting commitments) but I've worked out how I can do it. We sat down and plotted it out last night along with a few contingency classes. The only thing that's going to stop me is if my hernia operation gets scheduled in that month. It's going to be a nicely symbolic challenge too, because my girlfriend and I met through the local Bikram Yoga studio and we both started yoga in February 2013, four days apart, so it's little like an anniversary of sorts.

> Does your sport help you with your meditation practice?

I don't have a meditation practice beyond daily mindfulness (satipatthana style) separate from the yoga but I do have better mindfulness of body since starting the classes.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

Skateboarding - bowl riding. Meditation helps with the sport, for me - not the other way around. It's the kind of sport where every movement of the body counts. I find my self riding bowl better when i'm aware of the kinesthetics of my body. And there's nothing quite like riding through a bowl when you've calmed down to the point where gravity is doing most of the work and the tempo is set by your breathing. It's easy to ride and make the mistake of watching the walls approach you as they come. In this case i don't end up in the zone. It's a little hard to remind my self to relax as i breath. But once i do, the walls start rushing by me as opposed to me rushing by them. And then my body movements become very precise and the flow of the run is indistinguishable from any actual movement. I sometimes feel entirely motionless. I know I am moving through space, but the effect makes time stand still.
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded
Babadhari

Post by Babadhari »

Pondera wrote: I sometimes feel entirely motionless. I know I am moving through space, but the effect makes time stand still.
:toast:
Aflame with the fire of passion, the fire of aversion, the fire of delusion.
Aflame, with birth, aging & death, with sorrows, lamentations, pains, distresses, & despairs ......

Seeing thus, the disciple of the Noble One grows disenchanted. SN 35.28