Stories of acts leading to hell

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?

Stories of acts leading to hell

Postby Digity » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:19 am

There's stories in the suttas of acts leading to hell. For instance, the Buddha tried to go somewhere, I think a town or village, and he was turned away by the king or something and the story goes that the king spent a long time in hell.

There's other stories of individuals, like one who disrespected a private Buddha and went to hell. Do you think these are accurate accounts of things?

I can be so neurotic that sometimes I worry about maybe having a bad thought or something about a Dhamma teacher and what horrible karma that must have created...especially when I think of stories like the ones above. Although, I have a lot of love for the hopefully that evens it out!? :rolleye:

Re: Stories of acts leading to hell

Postby SarathW » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:40 am

I don’t think that you have to worry about it too much as it appears to me that you have developed mindfulness towards your unwholesome actions.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

Re: Stories of acts leading to hell

Postby cooran » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:42 am

Link to Suttas concerning rebirth in Hell:

With metta,
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”