Best advice on motivation

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
purple planet

Best advice on motivation

Post by purple planet »

I really read a lot trying to motivate myself - and when looking there was the people who allways gave the advice "just do it" that is an extremely annoying advice -

but i read "the key to getting motivated : give up " by Oliver Burkeman

http://99u.com/articles/14721/the-key-t ... ed-give-up which says more or less "just do it" but it says it in a great clear way - cause to "just say" "just do it" is easy and of course everybody know that but this is actually explaining it

""Give up on yourself. Begin taking action now, while being neurotic or imperfect, or a procrastinator or unhealthy or lazy or any other label by which you inaccurately describe yourself. Go ahead and be the best imperfect person you can be and get started on those things you want to accomplish before you die." -- Shoma Morita, MD"
“ Nearly everyone I know (including me) believes they should be more self-disciplined. And one very simple definition of self-discipline is “doing what you know you need to do.” This is where Morita therapy can be very helpful, because it eliminates the complexity of trying to get your feelings/thoughts in sync with your actions. How do you feel when you get out of bed in the morning? I almost always feel tired, lethargic, heavy, sluggish. When I get out of bed (usually around 5:30am) I virtually never feel energetic and raring to go! But I take my feelings of tiredness and sluggishness with me as I leave my bed and walk to the bathroom. This is what Morita therapy is trying to teach us – to take our unpleasant feelings with us as we do what is important to do. Rather than allow our lives to be directed by our feelings, we are guided by the important purposes that present themselves as we move forward. Feelings don’t get discarded, but neither do they run the show."
Last edited by purple planet on Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: Best advice on MOTIVATION

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

purple planet wrote:I really read a lot trying to motivate myself - and when looking there was the people who always gave the advice "just do it" that is an extremely annoying advice.
I got fed up with hearing people say “Let go,” too.. It's really not that simple unless, and until you have cultivated the perfections.

Let Go!

What people need is a systematic and progressive method to cultivate mindfulness. When insight arises, then letting go will be the natural thing to do.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
purple planet

Post by purple planet »

davide-bujalski

Post by davide-bujalski »

Hi,
honestly it probably means what kind of intensions you have???
The first time i came across Buddhism,i choosed the second day that i want to be a monk
i just fall in love with it.Metta at first feeling.If you suffer a lot,thats the best motivation.
Otherwise looking at youtube sometimes,get boring and switching to play games.I dont know
is very individual.Is not Fitness to get motivated.
with Metta
David :anjali:
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Some soundbits of advice around a certain theme for those who may use it...

Pace yourself. Don't burn yourself out. Be sustainable. Make it work in the long run. This is a marathon, not a sprint.

:anjali:
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
suttametta

Post by suttametta »

purple planet wrote:I really read a lot trying to motivate myself - and when looking there was the people who allways gave the advice "just do it" that is an extremely annoying advice -

but i read "the key to getting motivated : give up " by Oliver Burkeman

http://99u.com/articles/14721/the-key-t ... ed-give-up which says more or less "just do it" but it says it in a great clear way - cause to "just say" "just do it" is easy and of course everybody know that but this is actually explaining it

""Give up on yourself. Begin taking action now, while being neurotic or imperfect, or a procrastinator or unhealthy or lazy or any other label by which you inaccurately describe yourself. Go ahead and be the best imperfect person you can be and get started on those things you want to accomplish before you die." -- Shoma Morita, MD"
“ Nearly everyone I know (including me) believes they should be more self-disciplined. And one very simple definition of self-discipline is “doing what you know you need to do.” This is where Morita therapy can be very helpful, because it eliminates the complexity of trying to get your feelings/thoughts in sync with your actions. How do you feel when you get out of bed in the morning? I almost always feel tired, lethargic, heavy, sluggish. When I get out of bed (usually around 5:30am) I virtually never feel energetic and raring to go! But I take my feelings of tiredness and sluggishness with me as I leave my bed and walk to the bathroom. This is what Morita therapy is trying to teach us – to take our unpleasant feelings with us as we do what is important to do. Rather than allow our lives to be directed by our feelings, we are guided by the important purposes that present themselves as we move forward. Feelings don’t get discarded, but neither do they run the show."
Contemplate the disadvantages of birth, old-age, sickness and death. That there is no happiness anywhere in samsara. That cause and effect are irrevocable laws. That human life is a rare opportunity. Contemplate the wonderful qualities of the Three Jewels.