Looking for more info on Muslim violence against Buddhists

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
SarathW

Re: Looking for more info on Muslim violence against Buddhis

Post by SarathW »

mettafuture wrote:I'm organizing all of these links into a blog on Muslim violence against Buddhists and Buddhist culture:
http://tmblr.co/ZG0pTx15hRKB5
Hi Mettafuture
What is the objective and expected results of your effort?
Will your effort improve the reconciliation between Buddhist and Muslims?

Violence first start at home, then to the schoolyard, working place, outside working place, village, town, province, country, world and universe (yet to come)
Violence are caused by all sort of discrimination, religion, cast, colour ,ethnic background, level of education, sex, wealth and many more.
Violence is caused due to attachment, aversion and ignorance.

Simply due to conceit (Mana)

Only way you can stop violence is by education.
:meditate:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

"We are all human"
HHDL nailed it and Zen Pencils has just illustrated it.

:namaste:
Kim
http://zenpencils.com/comic/143-the-dal ... an-beings/
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

SarathW wrote:
mettafuture wrote:I'm organizing all of these links into a blog on Muslim violence against Buddhists and Buddhist culture:
http://tmblr.co/ZG0pTx15hRKB5
Hi Mettafuture
What is the objective and expected results of your effort?

Violence first start at home, then to the schoolyard, working place, outside working place, village, town, province, country, world and universe (yet to come)
Violence are caused by all sort of discrimination, religion, cast, colour ,ethnic background, level of education, sex, wealth and many more.
Violence is caused due to attachment, aversion and ignorance.

Simply due to conceit (Mana)

:meditate:
:goodpost:
Kim
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

Hi Kim :hello:

The image is not showing.

Education is vital as Sarath says. For instance it never ceases to amaze me how many people lump all Muslims together with the Wahhabist Middle Eastern variety. Place like Turkey and Indonesia don't seem to exist on their maps.

It is easy to have one pigeon-hole for Muslims, another for Buddhists, etc etc. But the reality is never this simple. Every situation has to be looked at carefully, with an open mind. Attachment to labels and filing vast diverse groups under the same category is not going to make this possible.

Keep open minds and open hearts, Friends. We are all human. "Muslim" is just a label, and in out next birth we might be carrying it.
_/|\_
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

"Out next birth we might be carrying it"

Thanks.
That is what I always think.
This morning there is Daddy Long Leg in my shower.
I start to wonder whether I could be one of them in my next birth!
:)
mettafuture

Post by mettafuture »

SarathW wrote:What is the objective and expected results of your effort?
Balance. The public is only hearing about Buddhists attacking Muslims. They're not hearing the other side.
No it won't, only because I don't believe it can be reconciled. This isn't a new problem.
Sure, but education becomes difficult when your religion tells you to do this.

"[Remember] when your Lord inspired to the angels, "I am with you, so strengthen those who have believed. I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieved, so strike [them] upon the necks and strike from them every fingertip."
— Surat Al-'Anfāl (8:12)
Keep open minds and open hearts, Friends. We are all human. "Muslim" is just a label, and in our next birth we might be carrying it.
I befriend Muslims, but no one has to befriend Islam.
Last edited by mettafuture on Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Dan74 wrote:Hi Kim :hello:

The image is not showing.
:embarassed:
My techie limits are showing. I tried to put it up by linking to the image with [img] tags and it didn't work so I gave up and edited the post so that clicking the url takes you to the image on its original site. That works for me now. If it doesn't work for you, I don't know why not but if you let me know then I can try again.

:coffee:
Kim
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

mettafuture wrote:
Keep open minds and open hearts, Friends. We are all human. "Muslim" is just a label, and in our next birth we might be carrying it.
It's good that your heart is open to Muslims, but Islam is just one form of conditioning that humans beings are born with. We all have all sorts of them - from religion, culture, family, etc. We all deal with them in different ways, react differently. We can take the wheat and leave the chaff, or vice versa. Most of us have a mix!

Same with Rohingya I suspect. Anywhere in the world you go, you find all sorts of different people. Wholesale persecution, expulsion and murder is never justified. Each human being is to be treasured and treated with respect as the Buddha urged us.

Of course you will find crimes committed by Muslims against Buddhists. But don't start with a preconception that one side is righteous and the other is at fault. It is never like that. Rather, it's the old story of greed, anger and ignorance, whether Muslim or Buddhist.

PS Thank you for the cartoon, Kim! It's a good one.
Last edited by Dan74 on Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
_/|\_
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

mettafuture wrote:
SarathW wrote:What is the objective and expected results of your effort?
Balance. The public is only hearing about Buddhists attacking Muslims. They're not hearing the other side.
No it won't, only because I don't believe it can be reconciled. This isn't a new problem.
Sure, but education becomes difficult when your religion tells you to do this.

"[Remember] when your Lord inspired to the angels, "I am with you, so strengthen those who have believed. I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieved, so strike [them] upon the necks and strike from them every fingertip."
— Surat Al-'Anfāl (8:12)
Please see:
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 20#p277607
mettafuture

Post by mettafuture »

Dan74 wrote:It's good that your heart is open to Muslims, but Islam is just one form of conditioning that humans beings are born with. We all have all sorts of them - from religion, culture, family, etc. We all deal with them in different ways, react differently. We can take the wheat and leave the chaff, or vice versa. Most of us have a mix!
You're oversimplifying a complex issue. Some ideologies cause more harm than others. The ones that cause or promote harm should be peacefully condemned.
Wholesale persecution, expulsion and murder is never justified.
Absolutely not, but you do have a right to defend yourself.
I wonder how much Islam most of them even know, living as they do in some of the poorest conditions in the world?
I've read the Quran and the Hadith. They're both very unpleasant.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

mettafuture wrote:Some ideologies cause more harm than others. The ones that cause or promote harm should be peacefully condemned.
Th elogic of that statement is faulty, mettafuture. If "Some ideologies cause more harm than others." then "The ones that cause or promote the most harm should be peacefully condemned," is more logical - note the addition - but there's still a non-sequitur: where did "peacefully condemned" come from? and where did the "should" come from?
As my meditation group leader says every week, "Look at your motivation."

:namaste:
Kim
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

I live in a muslim majority country. Individually, Muslims are as fine as any religious ppl you meet, even nicer than the intrusive evangelicals. But because of these verses in their holy texts, the mandatory obedience to religious authority they are so easily riled up. Even the slightest irritant is seen as a transgression or affront against them .

Here is just one example of how ridiculous it gets.
http://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/catego ... emolished/
chownah

Post by chownah »

Education! Yes! Des anyone know where I can go to find some moderate Muslims discussing the issue of so much violence appearing in their scriptures?
chownah
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

chownah wrote:Education! Yes! Des anyone know where I can go to find some moderate Muslims discussing the issue of so much violence appearing in their scriptures?
chownah
Hi Chownah
Have you seen my other post:

There are lot of misunderstanding about all religions.
We like to stereotype people, without spending little bit time to understand their point of view.
If one Muslim or a group of Muslim do a bad thing we are trying to bundle all the Muslims in the same category.

Most of my acquaintance and friends and former employer are either Muslims or Christians.
They all were very friendly and kind to me!
So I tried to spend some time to understand their religion. There are lot of literature for Christianity but very few for Islam.

Finally I found a good video. It is very long (3 hours) but address much misconception of Muslims.
They also have similar problems like (Buddhist) – Please be patient enough to see the last 15 minutes.
Providing this link I do not endorse the content or intend to have a discussion about the contents of this video.

"The Reclaiming the Quran"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7TM_7XTQXI

http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 60#p277441
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello chownah,

Maybe tailor your google search? Here are the results of one I did - there is a Christian Muslim forum on the second page.

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=discu ... ent=safari

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---