YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Looking for more info on Muslim violence against Buddhists - Page 4 - Dhamma Wheel

Looking for more info on Muslim violence against Buddhists

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
mettafuture

Re: Looking for more info on Muslim violence against Buddhis

Postby mettafuture » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:47 pm

Kim OHara

Postby Kim OHara » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:20 am

Modus.Ponens

Postby Modus.Ponens » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:51 am

He turns his mind away from those phenomena, and having done so, inclines his mind to the property of deathlessness: 'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.'
(Jhana Sutta - Thanissaro Bhikkhu translation)

Kim OHara

Postby Kim OHara » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:22 am

mettafuture

Postby mettafuture » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:10 am

binocular

Postby binocular » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:18 am

Modus.Ponens

Postby Modus.Ponens » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:50 am

He turns his mind away from those phenomena, and having done so, inclines his mind to the property of deathlessness: 'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.'

mettafuture

Postby mettafuture » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:26 pm

binocular

Postby binocular » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:23 pm

mettafuture

Postby mettafuture » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:18 pm

binocular

Postby binocular » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:05 am

Aloka

Postby Aloka » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:20 am

binocular

Postby binocular » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:32 am

Aloka

Postby Aloka » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:44 am

Kim OHara

Postby Kim OHara » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:38 am

Modus.Ponens

Postby Modus.Ponens » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:18 pm

chownah

Postby chownah » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:26 pm

There have been some comments indicating that since the Bible contains a lot of saber rattling and war making that Christians can be said to be part of a religion which advocates violence in the same way that Islamic scriptures advocates violence. I think this sentiment comes from a lack of understanding of the structure of the Bible.

The Bible has two parts namely the Old Testament and the New Testament. The Old Testament is mainly about Jewish history and how the Jews believed that a great prophet or savior would be born into Jewish society and that this savior would lead Judaism into a new era. The New Testament is about Jesus of Nazareth being the long promised prophet predicted by the Jews in the Old Testament and the doctrine which Jesus taught and how his early followers organized themselves and some of their communications.

The Old Testament is the part of the Bible with the references to violence and wars....it is about the history of Judaism and it is included in the Bible as an introduction for the coming of a savior......which Christians take to be Jesus of Nazareth. The Old Testament does not contain any of the doctrine which Jesus of Nazareth taught.....the violence and wars of the Old Testament is NOT what Jesus of Nazareth taught.

The New Testament is the part of the Bible containing the doctrine which Jesus of Nazareth taught. Many Jews were expecting the savior to be a mighty warrior who would raise a big army and then go and fight a righteous war......they were very disappointed with Jesus in that he taught love, compassion, and non-violence.....they openly talked about how Jesus could not be their savior as he was not advocating wielding of power much less wielding it himself. There are a few quotes from the New Testament which I think we're meant to be poetic in nature and which might be construed to be violent....I forget what they are but it seems like many people are quick to point them out as if it proved that Jesus taught violence but if you read the New Testament in full it is obvious that Jesus did not advocate violence or war.

I hope I have clearly shown that the doctrine taught by Jesus of Nazareth did not condone violence or war and also how it is that some people have come to the wrong conclusion that Christian doctrine includes fighting righteous wars. In my view to say that Christianity and Islam are similar in that their main prophets both advocated war is wrong as the doctrine taught by Jesus of Nazareth was markedly non-violent.....remember "turn the other cheek"?

This is not to say that all Christians follow the doctrines that Jesus of Nazareth taught......what I am saying is that the doctrine which Jesus of Nazareth taught does not condone and even condemns the many violent acts perpetrated by Christians in the name of their religion.
chownah

lyndon taylor

Postby lyndon taylor » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:58 pm

Half of the Quran is devoted to the words and stories of Jesus(Issa), I don't think any of you have actually read it, like I said before if you quote texts out of context you can get the same level of negative messages from the bible.
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/

daverupa

Postby daverupa » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:01 pm

Invective rhetoric and off-topic comparative religion discussions can happen elsewhere than this thread, which has a carefully defined OP, friends.

mettafuture

Postby mettafuture » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:27 pm

Return to “Lounge”