Looking for more info about Buddhist violence against Sikhs

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
chownah

Looking for more info about Buddhist violence against Sikhs

Post by chownah »

I think that Buddhist violence against Sikhs is under reported.
chownah
SamKR

Re: Looking for more info about Buddhist violence against Si

Post by SamKR »

chownah wrote:Buddhist violence
I think the usage of the words "Buddhist violence" is an unfortunate one. Why not call it something else?
culaavuso

Post by culaavuso »

SamKR wrote: I think the usage of the words "Buddhist violence" is an unfortunate one. Why not call it something else?
One could interpret chownah's posting as a way of making the point that violence is not owned by the abstract notion of a religion, but is always an act of individual beings. Beings are the owners of their actions, and the abstract social or religious labels that might be attributed to or associated with those beings are not the owners.
suttametta

Post by suttametta »

What Buddhist violence against Sikhs?
mettafuture

Post by mettafuture »

culaavuso wrote:
SamKR wrote: I think the usage of the words "Buddhist violence" is an unfortunate one. Why not call it something else?
One could interpret chownah's posting as a way of making the point that violence is not owned by the abstract notion of a religion, but is always an act of individual beings.
But there's nothing abstract about these verses:

"[Remember] when your Lord inspired to the angels, "I am with you, so strengthen those who have believed. I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieved, so strike [them] upon the necks and strike from them every fingertip."
— Quran (8:12)

"Hatred is never appeased by hatred in this world. By non-hatred alone is hatred appeased. This is a law eternal. There are those who do not realize that one day we all must die. But those who do realize this settle their quarrels."
— Dhammapada (I 5-6)

One religion encourages intolerance, and the other encourages peace.
suttametta wrote:What Buddhist violence against Sikhs?
I doubt there is any. I think chownah was trying to be funny, and make light of the very real Islamic violence against Buddhists that I had inquired about. Personally, I don't think this is a joking matter. A lot of innocent members of our community are being murdered, and raped.
culaavuso

Post by culaavuso »

mettafuture wrote: "Hatred is never appeased by hatred in this world. By non-hatred alone is hatred appeased. This is a law eternal. There are those who do not realize that one day we all must die. But those who do realize this settle their quarrels."
— Dhammapada (I 5-6)
Excellent quote to mention. I agree. Even when others speak hateful words or perform hateful acts, it is a mistake to become hateful in response. It's also a mistake to objectify abstract labels such that the objects and categories of objectification in thought ultimately give rise to quarrels. It's helpful in this regard to remember that each being is the owner of their actions.

MN 21
MN 21: Kakacupama Sutta wrote: Monks, there are these five aspects of speech by which others may address you: timely or untimely, true or false, affectionate or harsh, beneficial or unbeneficial, with a mind of good-will or with inner hate. Others may address you in a timely way or an untimely way. They may address you with what is true or what is false. They may address you in an affectionate way or a harsh way. They may address you in a beneficial way or an unbeneficial way. They may address you with a mind of good-will or with inner hate. In any event, you should train yourselves: 'Our minds will be unaffected and we will say no evil words. We will remain sympathetic to that person's welfare, with a mind of good will, and with no inner hate. We will keep pervading him with an awareness imbued with good will and, beginning with him, we will keep pervading the all-encompassing world with an awareness imbued with good will — abundant, expansive, immeasurable, free from hostility, free from ill will.' That's how you should train yourselves.
MN 18
MN 18: Madhupindika Sutta wrote: Ven. Maha Kaccayana said this: "Friends, concerning the brief statement the Blessed One made, after which he went into his dwelling without analyzing the detailed meaning — i.e., 'If, with regard to the cause whereby the perceptions & categories of objectification assail a person, there is nothing there to relish, welcome, or remain fastened to, then that is the end of the obsessions of passion, the obsessions of resistance, the obsessions of views, the obsessions of uncertainty, the obsessions of conceit, the obsessions of passion for becoming, & the obsessions of ignorance. That is the end of taking up rods & bladed weapons, of arguments, quarrels, disputes, accusations, divisive tale-bearing, & false speech. That is where these evil, unskillful things cease without remainder'

"Dependent on eye & forms, eye-consciousness arises. The meeting of the three is contact. With contact as a requisite condition, there is feeling. What one feels, one perceives (labels in the mind). What one perceives, one thinks about. What one thinks about, one objectifies. Based on what a person objectifies, the perceptions & categories of objectification assail him/her with regard to past, present, & future forms cognizable via the eye.

"Dependent on ear & sounds, ear-consciousness arises...

"Dependent on nose & aromas, nose-consciousness arises...

"Dependent on tongue & flavors, tongue-consciousness arises...

"Dependent on body & tactile sensations, body-consciousness arises...

"Dependent on intellect & ideas, intellect-consciousness arises. The meeting of the three is contact. With contact as a requisite condition, there is feeling. What one feels, one perceives (labels in the mind). What one perceives, one thinks about. What one thinks about, one objectifies. Based on what a person objectifies, the perceptions & categories of objectification assail him/her with regard to past, present, & future ideas cognizable via the intellect.
AN 5.57
AN 5.57: Upajjhatthana Sutta wrote: To the extent that there are beings — past and future, passing away and re-arising — all beings are the owner of their actions, heir to their actions, born of their actions, related through their actions, and have their actions as their arbitrator. Whatever they do, for good or for evil, to that will they fall heir.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

mettafuture wrote:I doubt there is any. I think chownah was trying to be funny
I'm sure he was - but the humour has a point.
mettafuture wrote:I doubt there is any. I think chownah was trying to be funny, and make light of the very real Islamic violence against Buddhists that I had inquired about. Personally, I don't think this is a joking matter. A lot of innocent members of our community are being murdered, and raped.
In spite of our requests in the other thread you have failed to come up with any positive reasons (i.e. not tending to hatred and ill-will) for your search for information.
In spite of our encouragement in the other thread, you seem totally unwilling to concede that many Muslims are in fact decent enough people and don't deserve the demonisation they are already getting in the West and would get (or get more of) from you if/when you find the journalistic ammunition you are looking for.

That said, I think this thread is ill-conceived and should be closed. I will report it as soon as I've posted this.

:namaste:
Kim
mettafuture

Post by mettafuture »

Kim OHara wrote:In spite of our requests in the other thread you have failed to come up with any positive reasons (i.e. not tending to hatred and ill-will) for your search for information.
Information, by its definition, only has one purpose - to inform. It's not up to me give "positive reasons" for the request of information, or to decide how information should be used,. That's up to the community.
In spite of our encouragement in the other thread, you seem totally unwilling to concede that many Muslims are in fact decent enough people and don't deserve the demonisation they are already getting in the West and would get (or get more of) from you if/when you find the journalistic ammunition you are looking for.
I believe it's better to know the truth about what's happening in the world rather than remain ignorant of the truth. I wouldn't have been able to collect as many articles as I have about Islamic violence against Buddhists if this violence didn't happen. Now that we know it's happening, perhaps we could focus more on finding a way to stop it.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Point made.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723