no turning back

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.

no turning back

Postby Babadhari » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:39 pm

hello all,

i've been meditating on and off for 6 years now and am happy have finally reached the point where i feel no other option other than establishing a firm practice.

:thanks:
Last edited by Babadhari on Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aflame with the fire of passion, the fire of aversion, the fire of delusion.
Aflame, with birth, aging & death, with sorrows, lamentations, pains, distresses, & despairs ......

Seeing thus, the disciple of the Noble One grows disenchanted. SN 35.28
Babadhari

Re: no turning back

Postby mikenz66 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:56 pm

Welcome Kitz,

Great to have you here!

:hello:

:anjali:
Mike
mikenz66

Postby bodom » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:04 pm

Welcome Kitz!

The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby cooran » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:05 pm

Welcome Kitz :group:

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Postby Mkoll » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:46 pm

Welcome kitz!

Glad you're staying away from that stuff, using it only increases delusion!

Peace,
James
Mkoll

Postby Sanjay PS » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:42 am

Hello Kitz ,

Nice to have you on board , and thats great courage and wisdom to leave all the intoxicants behind . Once i used to think of them as a part of life , then realizing that life by itself is so intoxicating , i left them behind . Now many years later , i find its just not life that can be intoxicating , it is the closed eyes that can also be intoxicating , the peace , rapture , tranquility , stillness and sense of well - being are also dangerous and should be laid down , guided on by the alertness of annica ( change ).

Its the equipoise that is of great use , pleasant or unpleasant are just the same , they keep following each other and can fool us very badly :smile:

Once again , looking forward to the many learnings .

sanjay
Sanjay PS

Postby Khalil Bodhi » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:02 am

Welcome! I hope you find help and encouragement here.
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

Uposatha Observance Club:http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=148031379279&v=info
Kiva-Theravada Buddhists:http://www.kiva.org/team/theravada_buddhists
Dana on the Interwebs:
http://greatergood.com
http://freerice.com
Khalil Bodhi

Postby Modus.Ponens » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:00 am

Welcome. :anjali:

Good for you, leaving that crap forever. :smile:
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"
Modus.Ponens

Postby David N. Snyder » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:05 pm

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!

:meditate:
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby villkorkarma » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:21 pm

Sanjay PS wrote:Hello Kitz ,

Nice to have you on board , and thats great courage and wisdom to leave all the intoxicants behind . Once i used to think of them as a part of life , then realizing that life by itself is so intoxicating , i left them behind . Now many years later , i find its just not life that can be intoxicating , it is the closed eyes that can also be intoxicating , the peace , rapture , tranquility , stillness and sense of well - being are also dangerous and should be laid down , guided on by the alertness of annica ( change ).

Its the equipoise that is of great use , pleasant or unpleasant are just the same , they keep following each other and can fool us very badly :smile:

Once again , looking forward to the many learnings .

sanjay

Very good posting Sanjay Ps
dont hurt anyone in any sort of way
villkorkarma

Postby suttametta » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:41 pm

Yup. Pot is a tricky demoness. You think you are relaxed, but you are super tense. So tense, if you keep it up you might get a permanent knot. Bliss from jhana is the best most highest super bliss. Everyone should be doin it.
suttametta

Postby Babadhari » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:56 pm

i view the cause of my troubles to be my mind not the weed. 5 months on i cant say i miss it thankfully. i was told that by observing the 5 precepts my life would improve, and im glad to say that it has.
Aflame, with birth, aging & death, with sorrows, lamentations, pains, distresses, & despairs ......

Babadhari

Postby binocular » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:53 pm

kitztack wrote:unfortunately this self imposed isolation brought up strong feelings of paranoia and anxiety and mistrust

Those feelings could also be due to the intoxicants you were taking.

Cannabis is often consumed for its psychoactive and physiological effects, which can include heightened mood or euphoria, relaxation,[10] and increase in appetite.[11] Unwanted side-effects can sometimes include a decrease in short-term memory, dry mouth, impaired motor skills, reddening of the eyes,[10] and feelings of paranoia or anxiety.[12]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_(drug)
binocular

Postby Babadhari » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:19 pm

quite so Binocular

the cannabis had an integral part in multiplying those emotions and not allowing them to subside.

i was trapped inside a bubble of delusion, i really had no genuine reason to be worried about anything.

my just mind ran amok with imaginary ideas due to judging people . it was a lesson i had to learn, it made me experience the negative consequences of my drug use , im just sorry i worried my family and friends by my selfishness.

Babadhari

Postby suttametta » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:07 pm

Now that pot is mainstream and popular, I'm certain it's stupid. The herd is always wrong. Plus the pot now is mutated. The pot I had in college was mellow and I could meditate comfortably. Now it's all like crack. I had to search out one coop that had an old variety. It's such a burden to have some precise exotic material need. My wife is becoming addicted to Taiwanese high mountain teas. The prices on these get sky high. Needs have no limit. Letting go can be a hard pill to swallow, but it's worth it. Life with the Earth as the only decoration is an adjustment, but also I think very fruitful.
suttametta

Postby Babadhari » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:20 pm

whether something is mainstream or not doent change its properties or characteristics but the selective breeding of cannabis plants that has taken place in the last 20 years have definitely made stronger strains.

i dont doubt the medicinal properties of the drug, and even though THC is said to induce mental illness CBD is reported to be effective in keeping pychotic symptoms at bay.

however when people self medicate, use turns to abuse... as i can testify :spy:

Babadhari

Postby culaavuso » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:52 pm

suttametta wrote:Needs have no limit.

MN 82
MN 82: Ratthapala Sutta wrote:'The world is insufficient, insatiable, a slave to craving': This is the fourth Dhamma summary stated by the Blessed One who knows & sees, worthy & rightly self-awakened.
culaavuso

Postby Pondera » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:14 am

It's a powerful muscle relaxant - if you allow it to be. Shouldn't be relied upon - like any pain-killer. Don't absorb to much at one time - common sense.
Pondera

Return to Introductions