The Case of the Invisible Buddhist

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
binocular

Re: The Case of the Invisible Buddhist

Post by binocular »

dhammafriend wrote:
I think that pretty much the only reason why it could matter to one whether Buddhists (Asian American or any other) are adequately represented in the media is because one deep down isn't all that comfortable with being a Buddhist and/or isn't all that convinced about the efficacy of the Buddhist path.
Cannot agree. You are reaching here my friend. The fact that you came to that conclusion actually says a lot about what your assumptions are.
Then what alternative explanation do you have to offer for this interest in whether American mainstream media adequately represents Asian American Buddhists?
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
dhammafriend

Post by dhammafriend »

There is a very large segment of white America,...
Totally agree here, here in Southern Africa its actually getting worse between the black majority and the white minority who control all the wealth.
I think globally, we've got a lot of work to do. The problem is that race, gender, class, education all intersect to make these problems even more complex.
That's what gets me. :(
Then what alternative explanation do you have to offer...
Please read Justsit's last post as well as mine with the links. Thanks.

Dhammafriend
Metta
Dhammafriend

Natthi me saranam annam buddho me saranam varam
For me there is no other refuge, the Buddha is my excellent refuge.
Etena saccavajjena vaddheyyam satthu-sasane
By the utterance of this truth, may I grow in the Master’s Way.
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

dhammafriend wrote:Just as an aside please check out these links and tell me what you think. Please read the tweets as well as the articles. Perhaps something a little deeper than economics?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/1 ... 34428.html

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2012/11/ ... st-tweets/

http://audreymagazine.com/extremely-rac ... -fallen-2/

Dhammafriend.
I just glanced at the articles and they tell me this: I think those links are more indicative of the average intelligence and friendliness of people who use Twitter.

:lol:
Justsit wrote:And since American media also thrives on conflict, be it wars around the world, blue vs. red in politics, black vs. white, male vs. female, gay vs. straight, ad infinitum, they gleefully fire up any group that has a cause. They will broadcast on air, in print, or wherever, anything that sells.

America has a long and sordid history of prejudice and discrimination - Native Americans, Irish, Chinese, Japanese, Puerto Rican, Mexican, now Indian, each new wave of immigrants, anything "foreign," not-like-me. Nothing new here except the target.
QFT :thumbsup:
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
dhammafriend

Post by dhammafriend »

I just glanced at the articles and they tell me this: I think those links are more indicative of the average intelligence and friendliness of people who use Twitter.
:rofl:

Dhammafriend
Metta
Dhammafriend

binocular

Post by binocular »

dhammafriend wrote:
Then what alternative explanation do you have to offer...
Please read Justsit's last post as well as mine with the links. Thanks.
I don't see what's your point.
Those links look like standard samsara. So?

I stand by what I said earlier.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Justsit

Post by Justsit »

Another perspective is that my post and the cited links both point to another reason why OP may be interested in this topic. That is, regarding issues of discrimination and prejudice. Perhaps not so much about comfort "... with being a Buddhist and/or isn't all that convinced about the efficacy of the Buddhist path."
dhammafriend

Post by dhammafriend »

Justsit wrote:Another perspective is that my post and the cited links both point to another reason why OP may be interested in this topic. That is, regarding issues of discrimination and prejudice. Perhaps not so much about comfort "... with being a Buddhist and/or isn't all that convinced about the efficacy of the Buddhist path."
don't bother Justsit, binocular is not interested.
Binocular, we disagree on the subject, can we leave it at that? You've veered off topic onto personal comments about my practice and faith in the triple gem. All without actually knowing me. Let it go.

Dhammafriend
Metta
Dhammafriend

Justsit

Post by Justsit »

:anjali:
binocular

Post by binocular »

Justsit wrote:Another perspective is that my post and the cited links both point to another reason why OP may be interested in this topic. That is, regarding issues of discrimination and prejudice. Perhaps not so much about comfort "... with being a Buddhist and/or isn't all that convinced about the efficacy of the Buddhist path."
If I would believe that liberation from suffering is to be found in democracy, egalitarianism and other such worldly pursuits, I would agree.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
binocular

Post by binocular »

dhammafriend wrote:don't bother Justsit, binocular is not interested.
How dare you talk on my behalf?!
Binocular, we disagree on the subject, can we leave it at that? You've veered off topic onto personal comments about my practice and faith in the triple gem. All without actually knowing me. Let it go.
I am not going to defend things you merely imagine I said.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Justsit

Post by Justsit »

binocular wrote:
If I would believe that liberation from suffering is to be found in democracy, egalitarianism and other such worldly pursuits, I would agree.
The title of the thread is The Case of the Invisible Buddhist, not The Efficacy of the Buddhist Path. No one asserted that liberation is found in democracy.
So you can safely agree now.. :smile:
dhammafriend

Post by dhammafriend »

Freedom from racism, oppression, respecting the 'other' - these are all worth working skillfully towards. Rejecting the suffering of other beings is in my view cruel and callous. The attitude quoted above can only result when the Dhamma has been so distorted that it no longer resembles the teaching of the Maha Karunika. Do you know who that is? It's an epithet of our Teacher. Gotama Buddha. It means greatly compassionate. I recommend you please go read up on his Nine Qualities.

Monks, there is one person whose arising in the world is for the welfare of the multitude, for the
happiness of the multitude, who comes out of compassion for the world, for the good, welfare
and happiness of devas and humans. Who is that one person? It is the Tathāgata, the Arahant,
the Fully Enlightened One. This is that one person.

Anguttara Nikaya - Book of Ones

Dhammafriend
Last edited by DNS on Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: removed inappropriate language
Metta
Dhammafriend

binocular

Post by binocular »

Hic Rhodus, hic salta!