Being turned down from ordination

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Dhammakid

Being turned down from ordination

Post by Dhammakid »

Hello all,
Hope you're well.

How often does it happen where an aspiring initiate is turned away from pursuing ordination? And I don't mean because they did some particular behavior or something like that, but for the reason of space or strain on the lay community or simply because the abbot doesn't feel they're ready yet for some reason?

:anjali:
Dhammakid
appicchato

Re: Being turned down from ordination

Post by appicchato »

From my experience, in Thailand, rarely...if ever...
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings bhante,

Could the prospective bhikkhu's "fit" or "alignment" with the teachings of the abbot or senior monks have any bearing on procedings? (e.g. City vs Forest, Commentarial approach vs Sutta apprach vs Abhidhamma approach).

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Dhammakid wrote: for the reason of space or strain on the lay community or simply because the abbot doesn't feel they're ready yet for some reason?
In the U.S. it is probably more common than in Asian countries. This is because sometimes there may not be enough support from the lay community, i.e., not enough Asian-born Buddhists around in a particular U.S. city or neighborhood who understand and know the protocol about lunch dana, etc. There are also some rare cases where a person is turned away, when he/she is attempting to join for the wrong reasons, such as from a (temporary) fight with a spouse or if the person feels that they have attained enlightenment (where it is obvious that this is not the case), or those in need of professional mental health services.
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

retrofuturist wrote:Could the prospective bhikkhu's "fit" or "alignment" with the teachings of the abbot or senior monks have any bearing on procedings? (e.g. City vs Forest, Commentarial approach vs Sutta apprach vs Abhidhamma approach).
Hi Paul,

Certainly...although I'd be hard pressed to cite particulars where any of these come into play (in Thailand), not to say they don't...this thread (and responses) really highlights (to me) how very different the MO is between the East (Thailand being my only experience, although Laos, Cambodia, and possibly Burma probably aren't too far removed...Sri Lanka being, more or less, another entity entirely) and the West...we're definitely in two (parallel?) spaces here...questions like the OP's might get more of a definitive overview if the locale is specified because 'one size' definitely won't fit all...or so it appears from my vantage point...
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Hi All
the PDF I posted on the other ordination thread covers this aslo!

I believe if one monestary is full of monks but need lay people they take on aspirants, but would send them to another monestary closer to the time they would ordain if space is still not available? obviously in the west though!
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Dhammakid

Post by Dhammakid »

So it looks like it's dependent on space, strain on laity and perception of ability to practice. And it's probably more common in the States than overseas.

What do you think for a monastery like Abhayagiri or Bhavana Society? Any differences or special variations?

Dhammakid
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Dhammakid wrote:So it looks like it's dependent on space, strain on laity and perception of ability to practice. And it's probably more common in the States than overseas.

What do you think for a monastery like Abhayagiri or Bhavana Society? Any differences or special variations?

Dhammakid
Hi Dhammakid
you would need to contact them, although the PDF i posted elswhere was from a related monestary/s to Abhayagiri they could have there own requirements, and sheets, best to contact them directly!

I know Bhavana society have a version on the web of the PDF but not where!

when I was looking only one Lao Wat I think it was said they had no room for full time lay supporters, but this was a small Wat in london I think.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

Abhayagiri has a waiting list, years long if i remember correctly. im not sure about the other place.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
Dhammakid

Post by Dhammakid »

Manapa wrote: Hi Dhammakid
you would need to contact them, although the PDF i posted elswhere was from a related monestary/s to Abhayagiri they could have there own requirements, and sheets, best to contact them directly!

when I was looking only one Lao Wat I think it was said they had no room for full time lay supporters, but this was a small Wat in london I think.
Thanks Manapa. Do you happen to have a link to the thread in which you posted the PDF, or a link to the PDF itself? Thanks.

Dhammakid
Dhammakid

Post by Dhammakid »

jcsuperstar wrote:Abhayagiri has a waiting list, years long if i remember correctly. im not sure about the other place.
Wow, a years long waiting list. Wasn't expecting that. Didn't think so many people would want to ordain in the States.

Dhammakid
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

here you go!
it is related to Aruna, Amaravati and Chithurst monestaries in the UK, I got it from Amaravati all forest tradition of thailand (Ajahn Chah).

Dhammakid wrote:
Manapa wrote: Hi Dhammakid

Thanks Manapa. Do you happen to have a link to the thread in which you posted the PDF, or a link to the PDF itself? Thanks.

Dhammakid

John Stuart Mill
Dhammakid

Post by Dhammakid »

Thanks Manapa, it's greatly appreciated!

Dhammakid
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Dhammakid wrote: Wow, a years long waiting list. Wasn't expecting that. Didn't think so many people would want to ordain in the States.
Some possible reasons why Abhyagiri may be so popular:

1. Ajahn Chah tradition
2. Beautiful weather (for the most part, Northern California, not too far from coast)
3. Beautiful temple and grounds
4. Breathtaking views and mountain trails for walking meditation
5. Excellent monks

and there might be a few more good reasons too.
Dhammakid

Post by Dhammakid »

TheDhamma wrote:
Dhammakid wrote: Wow, a years long waiting list. Wasn't expecting that. Didn't think so many people would want to ordain in the States.
Some possible reasons why Abhyagiri may be so popular:

1. Ajahn Chah tradition
2. Beautiful weather (for the most part, Northern California, not too far from coast)
3. Beautiful temple and grounds
4. Breathtaking views and mountain trails for walking meditation
5. Excellent monks

and there might be a few more good reasons too.
Ah, yeah that makes sense. And I'm guessing they don't have a large amount of resident monks? Because I guess I'm asking that although it might be among the most popular in the States, I still didn't think so many people wanted to ordain. Maybe there's not a whole lot of people wanting to ordain but rather they just can't hold very many monks.

Dhammakid