Jataka Tales/Verses and the Vesantara Jataka

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
cooran

Jataka Tales/Verses and the Vesantara Jataka

Post by cooran »

Hello all,

The Jatakas verses are part of the Sutta Pitaka (The Khuddaka Nikaya) of the Pali Canon ...... Jatakas were touched on in a discussion elsewhere, and Jim Anderson (Pali Scholar) supplied the following information there:

"The Jataka (jaataka.m) is part of the Tipitaka and occupies two volumes in print. It consists of verses uttered by the Buddha and would have been recited at the great rehearsals. The Jataka commentary (jaataka.t.thakathaa) which contains the stories that go with the verses take up 10 volumes in a Thai edition. It is traditionally ascribed to Buddhaghosa (as translator & editor). All the verses in the Jataka are also included in the Jataka commentary.

.... some people are under the impression that the Jataka stories are part of the Tipitaka but upon closer examination one will find that the stories in fact belong to the commentary. The Jataka proper is only made up of verses like in the Dhammapada."

When I read this I was relieved - having first felt rather horrified by the Vesantara Jataka. I even read the whole thing p. 246 to p.305 (59 pages!) in "The Jaataka or Stories of the Buddha's Former Births" translated by E.W. Cowell and W.H.D. Rouse (Prof Cowell was formerly Prof. of Sanskrit in the Univ. of Cambridge) - in the hope that my initial repugnance might be attenuated by something else in the tale. Not so. The Tale in full is, if anything, more appalling than the excerpt one can read.

I am thankful I live in an age when the whole crew would have wound up before the Children's Court and received the consequences they deserved for child abuse and failing to provide protection to defenceless minors. That other beings could be regarded by the Buddha-to-be as objects to be used and disposed of in order to gain his own spiritual advancement is unbelievable.

I see nothing in this story that could even qualify it to be regarded as a Morality Tale. I think quoting such stories as if they are authoritative teachings is unwise.

Thankfully Jim Anderson did the research to show the Tales are NOT part of the Tipitaka. One is told that the disappearance of the Vesantara Jataka is one of the predicted signs of the Disappearance of the Sasana. I am sure there are those who will be concerned by this.

It was also such a relief to me to read Maurice Walshe's remarks (trans. of the Digha Nikaya) in this excerpt from "Giving from the Heart": "In point of fact, one of the true benefits to the giver is precisely that the act of spontaneous giving is a very fine way of helping to overcome attachment. And that is the intended point of the Vesantara story. We Westerners think of the unfortunate wife and family the Bodhisatta "sacrificed" (though of course there was happy ending and they came back to him, in the story!), but the intention is to regard them as objects of attachment, to be given up as such.

As a matter of fact, despite the popularity of this particular story, modern scholars consider that it was not originally a Buddhist tale at all, and was somewhat unskillfully adapted to provide a "Buddhist" moral."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/bps/ ... html#heart" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
retrofuturist

Re: Jataka Tales/Verses and the Vesantara Jataka

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Chris,
Chris wrote:I think quoting such stories as if they are authoritative teachings is unwise.
Thank you very much for sharing your findings with us.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello all,

The Jatakas have been mentioned in a couple of threads lately, so I thought I'd bump up this thread so not too much credence is placed on the Tales rather than the Verses.

With metta,
Chris
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
robertk

Post by robertk »

Ah this is the classical forum and as the Commentary , including the story associated with each Jataka, was edited by Buddhaghosa at the Mahavihra they are certainly considered authentic.
Personally I find the Vesantara story wonderful and have no doubt about its truth.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

cooran wrote:I am thankful I live in an age when the whole crew would have wound up before the Children's Court and received the consequences they deserved for child abuse and failing to provide protection to defenceless minors. That other beings could be regarded by the Buddha-to-be as objects to be used and disposed of in order to gain his own spiritual advancement is unbelievable.
You must be kidding :stirthepot: I think you misunderstood something about the context. They didn't have social welfare services in those days.
Within these forums the Pali Tipitaka and its commentaries are for discussion purposes treated as authoritative.
We are living in an age when the bodhisatta's kids might be taken into care, where they would be subjected to child abuse by their carers, when they were quite safe under the care of their parents and grand-parents.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
cooran

Post by cooran »

It would be worthwhile for those interested, and who have the time, to read the Vesantara Jataka themselves:

http://www.sacred-texts.com/bud/j6/j6013.htm

With karuna,
Chris
Zom

Post by Zom »

Interesting is the opinion of Ven. Sujato. He says that Jataka stories can be real words of the Buddha, but the stories in themselves are fictional and allegoric. There are some similar stories in SN with "monkey and hunter", "hawk and quail" and so on, but in the suttas they clearly come as allegory, not as real thing happened some long time ago. Probably later buddhists modified those allegoric stories into "previous bodhisatta lives" under the pressure of popular mahayana movement.
Sokehi

Post by Sokehi »

Good posting, cooran! Thanks for sharing
Get the wanting out of waiting

What does womanhood matter at all, when the mind is concentrated well, when knowledge flows on steadily as one sees correctly into Dhamma. One to whom it might occur, ‘I am a woman’ or ‘I am a man’ or ‘I’m anything at all’ is fit for Mara to address. – SN 5.2

If they take what's yours, tell yourself that you're making it a gift.
Otherwise there will be no end to the animosity. - Ajahn Fuang Jotiko

https://www.youtube.com/user/Repeataarrr