YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Fwd: Franz Kafka 130's birthday - Dhamma Wheel

Fwd: Franz Kafka 130's birthday

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
gavesako

Fwd: Franz Kafka 130's birthday

Postby gavesako » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:17 pm

Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

- Theravada texts
- Translations and history of Pali texts
- Sutta translations

binocular

Re: Fwd: Franz Kafka 130's birthday

Postby binocular » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:24 pm

gavesako

Postby gavesako » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:34 pm

If you carefully read, say, the Trial or the Castle you will find that the external forces are merely metaphors, in fact K. is under a kind of 'inner arrest' just as the Buddha describes it: Hindered by ignorance and fettered by craving.
Bhikkhu Gavesako

- Theravada texts
- Sutta translations

binocular

Postby binocular » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:41 pm

gavesako

Postby gavesako » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:50 pm

Bhikkhu Gavesako

- Theravada texts
- Sutta translations

Ben

Postby Ben » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:02 pm

Kafka's works remains some of my favourites of literature.
Happy birthday Franz!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

BlackBird

Postby BlackBird » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:02 am

"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." -

binocular

Postby binocular » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:03 pm

BlackBird

Postby BlackBird » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:12 pm

Naturally it pays to bear in mind that Ven. Nyanavira has read this book through the prism of his experience with the Buddha Dhamma, and he has made his interpretations using such a 'dialect' if you will.

As you quite rightly state binocular, none of your literary teachers were Buddhists, and therefore they wouldn't share Ven. Nyanavira's interpretation, but would have their own (or rather someone elses) that they had gained through their own formation of things.

When it comes to books and film and the whole English dissection of these things I think there is almost never a black and white answer. They don't call 'interpretations' interpretations for nothing after all and I think that's the beauty in film and literature - You can read what you like into it, and different people will see different things in art, based upon their own predilictions.

As it happens I have found Ven. Nyanavira's interpretation of Kafka, along with other existential fiction writers to be quite useful, but others may not :)

metta
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." -

gavesako

Postby gavesako » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:14 pm

There are, of course, other possible ways to interpret Kafka's texts. For example this one (ironically, on Independence Day):

Franz Kafka's "The Trial" - Film, Literature & The New World Order

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb_0h2IxOqc
Bhikkhu Gavesako

- Theravada texts
- Sutta translations

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:28 pm

Presumably Ven Nanavira's take on Kafka (and on Buddhism) was informed by his study of mathematics and modern languages at Cambridge just before World War II, and his work as an interrogator during the war: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanavira_Thera It's completely outside my area of expertise, but my impression is that literary interpretation and philosophical norms of 1930s Cambridge would be quite different from what one would find in the late 20th century, or the present. However, being closer to Kafka in time and experience, he may well have had some insights than a modern reader would lack.

:anjali:
Mike

BlackBird

Postby BlackBird » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:12 am

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:52 am

Hi Jack,

My point relevant to the topic of this thread is that Ven Nanavira's educational influences were different from those of someone educated in the late 20th or earth 21st century, hence I wouldn't be surprised if he had a different take on it from Binocular. Whether literary criticism and philosophy have improved or not is a different question...

:anjali:
Mike

BlackBird

Postby BlackBird » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:16 am

Arjan Dirkse

Postby Arjan Dirkse » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:23 pm

gavesako

Postby gavesako » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:35 pm

Bhikkhu Gavesako

- Theravada texts
- Sutta translations

gavesako

Postby gavesako » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:13 pm

Existentialist writer Franz Kafka was known for the absurdity and hopelessness in his work; a particular Kafka-inspired videogame plans to channel these themes.

The Franz Kafka Videogame is a classic adventure game based on the novels of Franz Kafka, including The Castle, The Trial, and The Metamorphosis. Playing with absurdism and hopelessness, Kafka examined the individual in a meaningless, absurd world. Evident in the game's trailer, The Franz Kafka Videogame will be surreal.

Developer Denis "mif2000" Galanin described his game to Polygon in an email: "The hero named K. gets a sudden offer of employment. And this event changes his life, forcing him to make a distant voyage. To his surprise, the world beyond his homeland appears to be not as normal as he would think. Together with the hero you will experience an atmosphere of absurdity, surrealism, and total uncertainty."

The Franz Kafka Videogame contains logic puzzles and an interesting art style in high-definition. Kafka fans should be able to spot some references to particular novels in the game's trailer. Be prepared for the surreal because any Kafka-inspired work is play around with the meaningless and unfair parts of the world. Anything could happen to anyone.

Read more at http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/vi ... Rc3V4LQ.99

Developer blog:
http://kafkagame.blogspot.com/

:spy:
Bhikkhu Gavesako

- Theravada texts
- Sutta translations

clw_uk

Postby clw_uk » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:37 pm

I read the centipede once by him

Freaked me right out

:shock:
Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken

gavesako

Postby gavesako » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:16 pm

What Kafka’s popular image obscures is that the real punch line of his works is not the fantastical, but the mundane. In The Trial, Josef K. gets arrested for no reason, but he doesn’t get thrown in a cell, waterboarded, and convicted. He goes back to work, and then spends the rest of his life wrestling with a bureaucracy that is vast, staggeringly incompetent—and boring. The primary story of The Metamorphosis is not actually that Gregor Samsa is a giant and disgusting bug-creature, it’s that his family is really, really bad at managing their finances. The centerpiece of In The Penal Colony, a massive and intricate torture machine, isn’t “remarkable” simply for its gory details—it’s remarkable because its inventor was a fool who wrote in gibberish, and it doesn’t actually work.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/201 ... _tips.html

:shock:
Bhikkhu Gavesako

- Theravada texts
- Sutta translations

gavesako

Postby gavesako » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:47 pm

Bhikkhu Gavesako

- Theravada texts
- Sutta translations

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”