empty-handed

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation

empty-handed

Postby genkaku » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:23 pm

Not sure if this is worth a topic or not, but...

I guess I always felt that, to the extent there was a goal in Buddhist practice, my goal was to end up empty-handed. If, at the end of some imaginary adventure, I ended up with anything whatsoever in my hands, anything concrete and praiseworthy, then that could not possibly be the end of the line. (Yes, I know ... end of WHAT line???)

Naturally, this view led to a lot of squirming along the way. Every time I did my best to 'let go,' sure enough something would come along to replace whatever it was I had let go of. When I found myself empty-handed, then sure as god made little green apples, I would find something to pick up ... something like empty-handedness, for example.

I'm not sure what the point of all this is. It just crossed my mind. These days I'm too old and fat a lazy and occasionally I worry about that. What the hell, it's something to hold in my hands. :)
genkaku

Re: empty-handed

Postby bodom » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:34 pm

Yeah my hands are pretty full these days too...

:namaste:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Return to Open Dhamma