translating english into spanish

A forum for Dhamma resources in languages other than English
mario92

translating english into spanish

Post by mario92 »

What are the requiriments (spiritual) for one who wants to help as a way of generosity to translate english into spanish (im mexican), do some have to be more advanced in the dhamma practice, like a master or something in that level or it could be done by people interesed in dhamma of whatever level? i have seen how the translating is in http://www.bosquetheravada.org, so what do you think?

thank you

Mario
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: translating english into spanish

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I don't know of any qualification required. If you think the existing translations are poor, and want to try to improve on them, or translate some texts that are not available in Spanish, then do it.

If you're translating from English there's a double problem, because existing translations from Pali may also be wrong. Ideally, you should learn Pali and translate directly from the Pali.

If you do a thorough scholarly job, with footnotes to explain the reasons for your choices, and references to the Pali texts and Commentaries like Bhikkhu Bodhi and Maurice Walshe have done in their Wisdom Publications, then readers will be able to check your work for accuracy.

In the forward, explain your academic qualifications (or acknowledge the lack thereof). Everyone is responsible for their own actions — however good a translation is, some are able to misinterpret it, and however bad it is, some are able to see through the translator's errors.

Even if your work turns out to be nearly useless to others, at least you will learn something in the process of making the translation.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
mario92

Post by mario92 »

thank you so much venerable bhikkhu pesala for your reply, i think i posted this because i want to help so much the sangha and the comunity in general, in whatever ways possible but i think it is difficult because im not a shcolar or someone that study the dhamma so much, i only ask for help to cure my doubt, but if you told me i can help you in whatever things are needed to do with grateful attention, may you be well and happy may you attain arahantship in this very life, may you live the complete holy life and be always with good health and without trouble that can arise. than you so much :namaste:
barcsimalsi

Post by barcsimalsi »

Great, please help translate dependent origination into spanish with spanish vocabulary. Don't have to be 100% identical to the English version, just make it pure spanish.

1. Avijiā-paccayā sankhārā
2. Sankhāra-paccayā viññānam
3. Viññāna-paccayā nāma-rūpam
4. Nāma-rūpa-paccayā salāyatanam
5. Salāyatana-paccayā phasso
6. Phassa-paccayā vedanā
7. Vedanā-paccayā tanhā
8. Tanhā-paccayā upādānam
9. Upādāna-paccayā bhavo
10. Bhava-paccayā jāti
11. Jāti-paccayā jarāmaranam

From ignorance as a requisite condition come fabrications.
From fabrications as a requisite condition comes consciousness.
From consciousness as a requisite condition comes name-&-form.
From name-&-form as a requisite condition come the six sense media.
From the six sense media as a requisite condition comes contact.
From contact as a requisite condition comes feeling.
From feeling as a requisite condition comes craving.
From craving as a requisite condition comes clinging/sustenance.
From clinging/sustenance as a requisite condition comes becoming.
From becoming as a requisite condition comes birth.
From birth as a requisite condition, then aging & death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair come into play.
Such is the origination of this entire mass of stress & suffering.